Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, February 6, 2020

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1815 - Time Issue - Pink Floyd

Image result for dark side of the moon

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1815 - Time Issue - Pink Floyd

I always share this post and associated content and links with my students each term, advocating that they think about how they spend their time, how many hours in a day they possess, and how they can best use these hours.


SUBJECT: THE TIME ISSUE (a la Pink Floyd)



This issue of time management came up last week in the “strange nature discussion” item, and I had additional remarks. Feel free to comment, question, extend. This item is somewhat for fun (hence the video) not strictly academic...

I understand the time issue. This is a frequent discussion we have as I am accused of expecting too much with my vague "do extra." So I get it. Given that I am in school myself plus working more than full time, I struggle as the rest of you do to balance work, family, and school.

Did I share my favorite time management web site?


http://www.studygs.net/schedule/


and I wanted to share to share it with all of you. Give it a try. It’s a time calculator that uses a pie chart to divided up the time you spend on things throughout your day, so you can see where all of your time goes. I was amazed at how quickly it filled up and left me with limited free time and limited time for sleep.

Also, I wanted to chime in on the subject of to-do lists. I have been trying to change myself from an unorganized and procrastinating person for years. I tried to adopt my friend’s method of making lists and actually doing the things on the list. But I would lose the lists, or I would decide to do some things with my time that I had not written on the list.

Then, this other friend of mine told me that she makes a to-do list every morning of the things she has to do that day. So I decided to give this a try. I found it immensely helpful. It focuses me on what tasks I have to do, and I get an endorphin rush each time I cross off a thing. In fact, to make more things that I can cross off, I have broken up tasks into parts, so a task, like grading, that used to be a single item on the list can now be as many as five items as I list all the steps in my grading process. Also, if I have a big task to do, I will set a reachable goal for the day, like with your papers here at Park. I have a note to grade five of those today. If I do so many a day, I have fewer to do on Sunday.

Sometimes I use the same list for two days. I am not as regimented as I could be. But the list is REALLY helpful and keeps me on task. In fact, soon, with these messages, I can cross off my “Daily PARK” item. Ah, endorphins....

-cbt




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2002.06 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1678 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: