Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, October 16, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2798 - Good comic bits from newsletters!



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2798 - Good comic bits from newsletters!

Just a bunch of comic book goodness today.

Thanks for tuning in.

from: 

193: I did a thing - Gillen




from - 

194: a reskinned Trebuchet - Gillen





FROM

195: Apocalypse Romances



A few weeks ago, we debuted the web version of our comic Melody of Cara Delevingne, Sean Phillips and myself did as part of the Rewriting Extinction initiative. The idea being that creatives from various field get together to collaborate a comic about the theme, to raise awareness and money. Go nose on the site for more, and here’s our comic again.

Anyway – the actual anthology is now available to pre-order from all the usual places (UK). And it’s… can I cut and paste the blurb?

The Most Important Comic Book On Earth is a global collaboration for planetary change, bringing together a diverse team of 300 leading environmentalists, artists, authors, actors, filmmakers, musicians, and more to present over 120 stories to save the world.

Whether it’s inspirational tales from celebrity names such as Cara Delevingne and Andy Serkis, hilarious webcomics from War and Peas and Ricky Gervais, artworks by leading illustrators David Mack and Tula Lotay, calls to action from activists George Monbiot and Jane Goodall, or powerful stories by Brian Azzarello and Amy Chu, each of the comics in this anthology will support projects and organizations fighting to save the planet and Rewrite Extinction.

You betcha.

There’s an huge array of talents from so many fields in here – like, do look at the list of collaborators. You can have a blurb like that, and not mention people like – say – Alan Moore or Taika Waititi.






FROM 196: explosions and/or emotions

Newsletter #58: The Best Loser

I came here to WIN. Oh ... wait. I lost? I ... sorry, I guess I'll go now

So, yeah, I lost all the Eisners Friday night.

Does it hurt? No, because I’m dead inside. The person I feel badly for is you, the reader, because my victory speeches were top notch and now you’ll never hear them.

OH COME ON GIVE US A TASTE

ugh I hate when you ask for a “taste”

PLEEEEASE

…okay. Below is the text I had prepared if I’d won in the Best Endless Comics category!

WOW IS THERE AN AWARD FOR BEST SPEECH

If there is, then it would’ve been a tie as well, ‘cause here’s my speech for if I’d won Best Writer!


NO CHIP THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AT AWARD SHOWS

Anyway, after my losses, while I lay at the bottom of a dark pit of my own making, this ray of light shone down on me:

The Hollywood Reporter did a huge piece on our favourite eternally angry duck and there was this fun tidbit in there:

I’ve talked about this a little bit before, how I flew out to HoLlYwEiRd and pitched a movie to Marvel Studios with Ms. Thompson. It was a very surreal time, especially when I pounded my fist on the board room table and shouted “this duck FUCKS” and then quietly muttered “poorly” to a room full of executives.

While nothing ever came of the pitch, I’m still reluctant to post the images that Joe and I created for it, because, hey, who knows, right?

But, because you’re loyal zdarsky.substack.com newsletter readers, I feel okay sharing this EXCLUSIVE look at one of the pieces!

He’s beautiful. And the MCU needs him.

AGREED

Okay! On to commerce! This week, Eisner-losing fan favourite DAREDEVIL is back with part two of LOCKDOWN! It’s bad news for Elektra and Matt as both Daredevils are up against their worst nightmares! With an ending that’ll have tongues wagging ew that’s gross

Mike Hawthorne is back and man oh man I’m gonna miss him (he’s not dying. I mean, we’re ALL dying, he’s just moving on to more impressive projects that will probably win Eisners). He’s a master of layouts and the human form, dynamic while grounded in reality. DON’T GO MIKE DON’T GO

EVERYONE LEAVES EVENTUALLY

Whoa just … ease up, okay?

SORRY

Beyond that, my big things this week are all audio!

I joined some pals to talk DOOM:

And I joined OTHER pals to talk GARF:

It turns out I know a lot more about Garfield than I do Dr. Doom.

And then there’s MANGASPLAINING!

This week’s episode isn’t up yet, but last week’s was a doozy! We got into the world of BL (Boys Love) manga in a roundabout way with the heartwarming story of friendship in BL METAMORPHOSIS! I highly recommend the series and the podcast and especially our show notes which are the best in the biz!

Okay, that’s enough! I’m done! Bye!

Love,
Chip



from 198: romantic, petrifying




from
199: No ethical creation under capitalism

And lo! The second arc of Eternals is announced, starting November. Here’s the solicit…

ETERNALS #7 Kieron Gillen (Writer) • Esad Ribić (Artist/Cover)

NEW ARC! NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! MORE THANOS! The Eternals have learned the truth of their existence. Their society is in shambles. Who can lead them? Who is the visionary that can lead them from the ashes? And how did they take the throne? Hail Thanos the Mad Titan, Eternal Prime.

Welcome to a new day. Welcome to hell.

That sounds fun.

I did a short interview over at AIPT when it was announced. which includes some broad details and thoughts.

Here’s a couple of quotes…

I think Esad, Matt [Wilson], Clayton [Cowles], and myself are making the most berserk sci-fi mythological comic on the shelves. We throw ideas at the page at velocity and quantity unlike anything else in superheroes. After six issues I think, at the least, folks know what we’re doing and why it’s not quite like anything else.

Of the many creative goals of Eternals, do that was certainly the biggie.

I think we’ve done that core work on the Eternals. Next: the other half of the mythology. The second arc is very much putting the deep focus on the Deviants.

…And…

Let’s just say democracy continues to have a difficult time of it.

There’s lots in the arc, but as well as the deviants side of things, having a look at the political dealing of the Eternals is a big part. Druig is someone who’s been doing this for a million years, and he’s using ever part of his sleazy skills to help Thanos.

Oh – and huge action. Issue 9 has the biggest battle we’ve shown so far. I figured I hadn’t given Esad a chance to draw a city being smashed yet, and this felt like a huge oversight.

And the back half? Oh my. Things escalate. Guest stars. Broken hearts. Trust shattered. Beating up gods. All the good, bad stuff.

Very happy to see this announced, not that it should stop folks just asking me “Is Eternals a mini?”


Io9 had the first preview of the fourth arc of Once & Future, which starts next week.

Here’s a couple of pages…

 

… and you can read the rest over at io9.

It’s good to be back.



This is such a delightful thing. CHVRCHES remixing John Carpenter and John Carpenter remixing CHVRCHES.

Jamie kills on the cover too.





from
200: the conjunction is complete





from - 201: I Am Terrible At This


And the Eisner-Award-Winning Panel X Panel hits issue 50. Cripes. 50 issues is really no joke – I think back to when I was a teenage magazine obsessive, and I’m aware that a lifespan of many of those magazines was significantly less than fifty issues. For Hassan to keep this thing going, on a month by month basis, alongside everything else he does is a lot, and I can only salute it.

Its taken the theme of 50 years, and had a scan over all those decades to select their favourite books. Hassan asked me if I had any desire to hammer out a quick 500 words about anything, and “Kill Your Boyfriend” just jumped to mind. I am not one to resist random urges to write essays. You may have noticed.

I mentioned in the piece that it’s one of the two comics I actually bought a page of. I have been asked which page. It’s a rude one.

0

Ta-dah!

You can buy the issue here, or sub here.



from

203: The Sweary Little Prince

  • Jim Zub’s Comics School channel is interviewing creators about creation and their origins, and talked to me. This was a delight. Partially to just talk over things with Jim, but also in that it dug into some unusual areas in my actual self-publishing zine and webcomic proto-me period. There’s a few pages from the photo comic I did in here, for example. Cripes. You can watch it here.

  • Big ol’ interview with Den of Geeks about Eternals. This was the first time I talked about the book post Issue 6, so includes me talking about the thinking behind the dark secret we revealed in that issue. If you’re interested in that stuff, this is a good one to read.

  • Sir Clive Sinclair died this week. John Walker did an excellent obituary here, which stood out among a lot which really centred the C5 to a distracting degree. Sinclair’s computers were cheap and populist and hugely influential on my aesthetic, both in terms of the games they begat (because being cheap, put the power of creation in more hands) and the magazines that emerged from that culture (Crash and ZZ64 show that they can be similar, but Your Sinclair could only have emerged from the spectrum). Quick recommendation for the film Micro Men, which tells the story of the early 80s war ober the BBC contract. Sir Clive hated it, but it’s a lot of fun. You can watch it here.


from

204: DIE (2018-2021)


On the way up to Coventry for Meanwhile, rather than actually working, I did a quick actual Q&A thing on twitter. I went back to some questions this week, and the above one is what dragged me back. As I say, I don’t take those things likely. I’m not even pleased with all these answers.

Let’s say a bit about each.

DIE – There She Goes, My Beautiful World – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds DIE’s actual playlist is here. which – like the book it’s about – is a more oblique and moody thing than WicDiv’s, and was almost entirely done in collaboration with the alien intelligence that is the Spotify Algorithm. That felt appropriate, given the book. If I had to choose a song to sum up DIE, I’d choose its opening one – Cherrylee by Gowns which was an aesthetic north star for the whole project. By now we’re at the end, and increasingly so as the series’ pieces moved towards completing, I came back and back to this song where Cave walks an amazing line between bathos and revelation when singing about the muse, inspiration, fantasy. I can so easily imagine Sol (or myself) howling “And I’ll ask for nothing/ Nothing in this life/I’ll ask for nothing/Give me ever-lasting life.” Quick plug for The Red Hand Files, Cave’s Q&A newsletter, which is perhaps my favourite newsletter of the moment.

Once & Future – Do You Remember The First Time?- Pulp This is the one which held up me tweeting. It doesn’t have a soundtrack, per se, which is one tell. Once & Future isn’t a wrestling with eternity sort of comic. It’s having too much fun to overthink it. I kept on thinking of things that I’d already lobbed on Aphra’s soundtrack – Bad Reputation would be fun, right? C then suggested this, which makes a lot of sense. Distinctly and quirky British, propulsive and with a weird melancholy underlying it. I could at least tie it to three or four characters in the plot, which is useful. I mean, I can imagine Merlin singing this at Arthur in a fan-video cut or something.

Eternals – Knowing Me, Knowing You, Abba As part of a Chriss Arrant twitter thing, where creators hyped their unannounced books with an oblique gif, I used an Abba Gif. I believe it was this. Knowing Me, Knowing You isn’t quite Abba at their most austere and adult, but I suspect the most austere of the upbeat big hits, and speaks a lot to how I think of Eternals. Time, sadness, reaching towards eternal beauty, the sadness inherent in perfection and that they all have Ikaris’ hair-cut.

TBA – Paris 1919, John Cale. Can’t say anything much about this one, but I suspect that there’s going to be people who pick it up and from the very first pages go OH, FFS. The comic does have a playlist, which is a lot of fun, and this is its first track. More down the line when TBA is Ad.



Big week, once more, which seems to be a trend. Not that I’m complaining. On a personal and professional level, things are going well. This is always worrying, as I’m always a waiting-for- shoe-to-drop person. However. I’m even less anxious about some of the things than I have been – as we can talk about it properly now, let’s use the DIE RPG as an example. After a weekend of really looking at the manuscript, and running through it with RRD’s Grant on monday morning, I’m comfortable about the KS. I’m in the place now where I am explicitly finishing up chapters and stepping them away, then sending them over so RRD can properly move into publisher mode. So much is editing as well.

I often think of the bit in Bendis’ Fortune & Glory, his autobiographical hollywood memoir. Firstly, it’s great, so if you haven’t, grab it. It’s one of the books that comes to mind all the time, and a really useful primer for any professional dealing with that town for the first time. Secondly, this specific bit… well, Brian is writing a draft of Goldfish, one of his crime noir indie books. He hands it in. His agent tells him that it’s a little heavy. Brian asks what that means. Well, an average screenplay may be about 100 pages or so. His is well over 200. Brian despairs, and then his agent just encourages him to take a deep breath and then go watch some movies to see exactly how sparse they are. And then, edit.

“There’s a good screenplay in here.”

Beat.

“There may be three.”

I love that, and as an overwriter, I feel seen. With DIE RPG, knowing the bits that need to be long and the bits which will be better if they’re not is very much this final leg. The game is in a good place – I just ran a short 3-part game with friends, which was just a humbling, rejuvenating experience, and it’s been a long time since I’ve had a game which wasn’t at least good. I just can’t wait to see it all together in a single volume, and share it with people.

I’m almost segueing into talking about things we want to do with the book, and I’ve already said I want to save that for down the line. So I’ll stop.

That’s just one thing, and there’s a bunch more, all of which are thrumming along. It’s a lot. It’s the sort of week that I keep on forgetting it’s my birthday. I think it’s tomorrow, but I’m not going to check, as I’ve really got to do final tweaks on Eternals 7 and a datapage of gerrymanding, in the mighty marvel manner.

Speak soon.

Kieron Gillen
London.
29.9.2021







Grant’s just posted the August update for the DIE RPG.

Some key distilled things for those who hate clicking… * The intro comic is done! He shared a few panels, which I put at the top of this section.


  • I posed this to twitter, as it was nagging at me. Basically – pick five stories to give to someone to introduce either the Marvel or the DC universes. As in, the crash course so someone can read it and basically get the vibe. The answers (of various kinds) are great, and (like any mix tape) reveal what people think is important. Typically, I asked this question and have no idea of my own answers.

  • An overview of Alan Moore’s How To Write Comics book, which argues it’s an all round great book for writers, let alone comic writers. I’d agree – it’s a tight 48 pages, of 4 essays he wrote circa Watchmen and another one 25 years later, and if you can find a copy, grab it. Lots sticks in my mind, but a quote near the end is something I call back to a lot: “Finally, if you want to be a truly great writer, it is perhaps worth remembering that even in this, it is more important to be a good human being than it is to be a good writer.” You said it, Alan.

  • Over at Humble Bundle, there’s just over one day to go in the 00s Image Bundle, which has a bunch of great stuff in – the Paul Grist material alone justifies it, and we believe it’s the only way you can get hold of Jamie’s first work (Long Hot Summer) and original black and white Phonogram: Rue Britannia. Though I may be wrong. I haven’t checked. I know neither are in print. I think. I also haven’t checked that.

  • I mentioned Shamballa when I wrote about Alan Grant passing, but this overview by Steven Cook of how he put together the Shamballa trade’s design is really great process stuff.

  • I suspect unfair to the people it’s quoted, but this article about assigning everything wrong in your life to Capitalism has a lot to chew over.




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2210.16 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2662 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: