Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, September 11, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3128 - "Cannonball" From The Last Splash by the Breeders - Musical Monday for 2309.11


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3128 - "Cannonball" From The Last Splash by the Breeders - Musical Monday for 2309.11 

I love this song, so I was thrilled to find a documentary on "Cannonball" and the whole album, which is among my very favorite albums.

The Last Splash did not make my top twenty albums, but it was in the list of runner-ups.

I acknowledge it's the 22 year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attack, but I am not dedicating a full post to that horrible event like I did on the 20th anniversary.

That's it for today.

Thanks for tuning in.




Trash Theory

Aug 25, 2023  #musicdocumentary #alternativerock #thebreeders
1993 was quite the year for Alternative Rock. Still in the afterglow of Nevermind changing everything, weird and wonderful music that only a couple of years prior would’ve gone unheard, then a product of the underground, now controlling the airwaves and taking over MTV.  [“Start Choppin’,” “Today,” “Creep,” “No Rain,” “Low,” “Loser”] But perhaps the best and most unexpected example of subterranean chart pop was The Breeders and their joyously bizarre hit “Cannonball.”

Songwriter Kim Deal had made her name as the underutilised bassist in alt rock pioneers Pixies, but here she teamed up with with her twin sister Kelley Deal, Josephine Wiggs and Jim Macpherson, and conceived an album of surf-rocking noise-popping goodness. Bursting with more creative left-turns and oddball hooks than many bands fit into a whole career. Explosive and shambolic in equal measure, This is how The Breeders made Last Splash.

#thebreeders #alternativerock  #musicdocumentary 

Fact-checking by Chad Van Wagner.

00:00 Introduction
01:24 Kim & Kelly Before The Breeders
05:39 Pod - "Inside Legs of Corduroy I've Been"
13:17 Last Splash - "No Bye, No Aloha"
19:13 "Cannonball" - In The Shade"
24:28 And Everything Afterwards

Soundtrack
Jesse Gallagher - The Golden Present

You can also follow me here:

Or support me on Patreon:







The Breeders



"Cannonball"
Song by The Breeders






Spitting in a wishing wellBlown to hell, crashI'm the last splash
I know you, little libertineI know you're a real cuckoo
Want you cuckoo cannonballWant you cuckoo cannonballIn the shade, in the shadeIn the shade, in the shade
I know you, little libertineI know you're a cannonball
I'll be your whatever you wantThe bong in this reggae song
In the shadeIn the shadeWant you cuckoo cannonballWant you cuckoo cannonball
Spitting in a wishing wellBlown to hell, crashI'm the last splash
I'll be your whatever you wantThe bong in this reggae song
Want you cuckoo cannonballWant you cuckoo cannonballIn the shade, in the shadeIn the shade, in the shade
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Kim Deal
Cannonball lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2309.11 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2992 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: