Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, February 12, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3282 - "Take Back This Fear" - a new mix of David Bowie music for Music Monday 2402.12



A Sense of Doubt blog post #3282 - "Take Back This Fear" - a new mix of David Bowie music for Music Monday 2402.12

Here's the delayed post from Bowie month. I have one more that will be very time consuming, which is 

I have been working on this mix for a while. I wanted to do something with mostly albums since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and with mostly obscure tracks to all but the most diehard Bowie fans.

I have achieved that goal for the most part.

I have one track from 1979's Lodger, one from Young Americans (1975), and one from Station to Station (1976) and otherwise I held to my concept.

I had originally planned more tracks from 1993's The Buddha of Suburbia because I love that album as I shared here:


I also tried to keep the flow somewhat mellow and melodic, and yet, I wanted one track from Earthling, and they are all jarring and loud, so I settled on "Little Wonder," which is the least drum and bass-heavy of the album.

As I listened to the mix, some tracks really stood out that I did not think were going to be key elements, such as "Nite Flights" and "Thru' These Architect's Eyes." 

I am rather proud of the opening sequence, though it changed as I will explain below. The first six tracks form a connected flow of associated sounds and themes that works really well:
"Sunday" - From Heathen - 2002; "Criminal World" (2018 Remaster) - From Let's Dance - 1983;
"Stay" (2016 Remaster) - From Station to Station - 1976; "Fascination" (2016 Remaster) - From Young Americans - 1975; "Absolute Beginners" - From Tonight - 1984; "Kingdom Come" (2017 Remaster)  - From Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) - 1980.

The flow from "Criminal World" through "Stay" and "Fascination" is a perfect, mellow groove that caps off perfectly with "Absolute Beginners" and then "Kingdom Come." I considered a shorter cut of "Absolute Beginners" but decided to keep the eight-plus minute track.

Originally, "Criminal World" led off the mix. I really like the opening of that song as the opening of the mix.

But then, I decided to name the mix after lyrics from "A Better Future" off 2002's Heathen, and so then, I felt that "Sunday" that album's opening track was a better launch.

"Please don't tear this world asunder
Please take back this fear we're under
I demand a better future" ~ David Bowie

This line still seems very true today if not more true:

Please take back this fear we're under


Fear stokes the fires of all of the political animus in country, though I cannot help thinking that one side has a legitimate fear of the end of democracy, the rule of law, freedom of speech, and the right to safety and security and the other side has irrational fears driven by a psychopathic, narcissistic neo-fascist with early, on-set dementia.

But hey, maybe I am reading the whole thing incorrectly (I doubt it).

Enjoy the mix!

Thanks for tuning in.





TRACK LIST

[1] David Bowie - Sunday - From Heathen - 2002
[2] David Bowie - Criminal World (2018 Remaster) - From Let's Dance - 1983 
[3] David Bowie- Stay (2016 Remaster) - From Station to Station - 1976
[4] David Bowie - Fascination (2016 Remaster) - From Young Americans - 1975
[5] David Bowie - Absolute Beginners  - From Tonight - 1984
[6] David Bowie - Kingdom Come (2017 Remaster)  - From Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) - 1980
[7] David Bowie - 5:15 The Angels Have Gone  - From Heathen - 2002
[8] David Bowie - New Angels Of Promise - From Hours - 1999
[9] David Bowie - Where Are We Now? - From the Next Day - 2013
[10] David Bowie - Miracle Goodnight (Official Video)  - From Black Tie White Noise - 1993
[11] David Bowie - Days - From Reality - 2003
[12] David Bowie - 2. Outside-David Bowie - From Outside - 1995
[13] David Bowie - Heathen (The Rays)  - From Heathen - 2002
[14] David Bowie - The Voyeur Of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)  - From Outside - 1995
[15] David Bowie - Love Is Lost  - From the Next Day - 2013
[16] David Bowie - Without You (2018 Remaster) ) - From Let's Dance - 1983
[17] David Bowie - If I'm Dreaming My Life  - From Hours - 1999
[18] David Bowie - Shadow Man  - From Heathen - 2002
[19] David Bowie - Tonight - From Tonight - 1984
[20] David Bowie - Never Get Old  - From Reality - 2003
[21] David Bowie - A Better Future  - From Heathen - 2002
[22] David Bowie - The Dreamers  - From Hours - 1999
[23] David Bowie - When The Wind Blows - From Never Let Me Down - 1987
[24] David Bowie - Little Wonder - From Earthling - 1997
[25] David Bowie - Yassassin (Turkish For: Long Live) (2017 Remaster) - From Lodger - 1979
[26] David Bowie - Nite Flights (2003 Remaster) - From Black Tie White Noise - 1993
[27] David Bowie - Because You're Young (2017 Remaster)  - From Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) - 1980
[28] David Bowie - Thru' These Architect's Eyes  - From Outside - 1995
[29] David Bowie - The Mysteries - From The Buddha of Suburbia - 1993
[30] David Bowie - It's No Game (Pt. 2) (2017 Remaster) - From Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) - 1980
[31] David Bowie - I Can't Give Everything Away - From Blackstar - 2016













+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2402.12 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3146 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: