Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, February 27, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2932 - New Peter Gabriel - "Panopticom" - Music Monday for 2302.27

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/peter-gabriel-panopticom/

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2932 - New Peter Gabriel - "Panopticom" - Music Monday for 2302.27

It's March 13th as I post this. That's stardate 2303.13. That's a new days behind record, sadly.

Between work and then getting a terrible stomach flu, I have been either too busy to devote time to the blog or too sick. And, for the record, though I was going to go to school and hold exam sessions that I am not required to hold, I chose not to go, less because I am still not feeling well but because my wife has contracted the stomach flu evil thing, and I am staying here to care for her.

Given all these problems maintaining my blog schedule makes me question the good sense of attempting to maintain a daily schedule that I cannot always keep. Makes sense right?

And yet, I do not always fall behind, or at least, I do not keep setting new records of how far behind I am on the blog work. Still, one would think I might abandon the daily schedule.

And yet, also, I am not giving up. I will catch up again.

Actually, I have the next six posts already "in the can" as they say in the music industry, and so I can get closer to current pretty quickly.

After all, my goal is to get caught up, get ahead, and have the luxury to produce some original work more often and make the blog more sustainable.

In any case, now, new record. Given that yesterday's post has been published for some time though I am just now pushing it to social media that one does not count. So, starting from today's post, new record:

new record = 15 days behind.

Today's the 27th and tomorrow the 28th, so two days in February, and then 13 days in March (as I am very close to publishing time on the day I write this), and so by my count that's 15 days.

I am happy with this post.

New Peter Gabriel music is an amazing thing. Very cool. Peter Gabriel has been one of my very favorite artists since buying his first solo album without knowing much of anything about it or him and falling in love with "Solsbury Hill." This purchase came during my post-finding-of-Pink-Floyd exploration into other artists, which included Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, Kansas, the Cars, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, Rickie Lee Jones, and additional Pink Floyd.

This is the first of the new songs by Gabriel that was released in January. There have been two since that I will surely feature separately, later this month (to get current), and then I can re-post them all monthly along with Gabriel's on the full moon schedule.

Thanks for tuning in!






Peter Gabriel
Feb 7, 2023
Panopticom (Bright-Side Mix) by Peter Gabriel, released on the full moon 6 January 2023. This is the first song to be revealed from the album i/o.
The Bright-Side Mix is by Mark 'Spike' Stent and the track is accompanied by a cover image by the artist David Spriggs.

Written and produced by Peter Gabriel, Panopticom was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and The Beehive in London. 

‘The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom,’ says Gabriel. ‘We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.’

Musically Panopticom drives along powered by the engine-room of long-time collaborators Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché, underpinned by haunting electronics from Brian Eno. Additional backing vocals from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath. The lyric is, in part, inspired by the extraordinary work of three groups, Forensic Architecture, Bellingcat and the Gabriel co-founded pioneering human rights organisation WITNESS.

The release of Panopticom on the full moon is no coincidence and in true Gabriel fashion the approach for i/o will be a little different from the norm. The lunar phases will guide the release plan in 2023, with a new song revealed each full moon. 

‘Some of what I’m writing about this time is the idea that we seem incredibly capable of destroying the planet that gave us birth and that unless we find ways to reconnect ourselves to nature and to the natural world we are going to lose a lot. A simple way of thinking about where we fit in to all of this is looking up at the sky… and the moon has always drawn me to it.’ 

Each new release of music will come with a specific piece of art, ‘we’ve been looking at the work of many hundreds of artists,’ says Gabriel, and Panopticom features the work ‘Red Gravity’ by David Spriggs. 

‘It was the theme of surveillance that connected me with the work of David Spriggs because he’d done a piece relating to that. David does this amazing stuff using many layers of transparencies so you get these strange creations with a real intensity to them. Part of what he does is imagine what art might look like a few years in the future and then try and create accordingly and I think he’s done that very successfully in this particular piece.’

David Spriggs - https://davidspriggs.art
Forensic Architecture - https://forensic-architecture.org
Bellingcat - bellingcat.com 
WITNESS - Witness.org





Jan 20, 2023
Provided to YouTube by itspetergabriel

Panopticom (Dark-Side Mix) · Peter Gabriel

Panopticom (Dark-Side Mix)

℗ Real World

Released on: 2023-01-21

The Panopticom (Dark-Side Mix) has been released today, 21 January, on the new moon.

The plan is for all the songs from i/o – that are released each month – to come with both a Bright-Side and Dark-Side Mix, with releases on the full and new moons. This Dark-Side Mix is by Tchad Blake, who previously mixed Peter’s Up album.

Peter explains things further:

I’m lucky to have two of the world’s best mix engineers; Tchad Blake and Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, working with me on the music from i/o. Rather than choosing only one of their mixes to release I have decided that people should be able to hear all the great work that they are both doing.

I intend to ask them to mix each month’s song, with Spike’s mixes being called the Bright-Side and Tchad’s the Dark-Side. Whether you hear the Bright-Side or the Dark-Side first will vary each full moon, depending on the order we decide to release them.

I know this amount of detail is not for everyone, but I hope those that are into their music production will enjoy their different interpretations – pg.


https://www.reddit.com/r/fakealbumcovers/comments/107fbev/peter_gabriel_panopticom_bright_side_mix/







Peter Gabriel
Jan 9, 2023
Peter Gabriel's Full Moon update for January 2023, where he discusses the launch of Panopticom, the first track to be taken from the forthcoming album i/o.

Listen to the full track Panopticom (Bright Side Mix) here: https://lnk.to/PG21

‘The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom,’ says Gabriel. ‘We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.’

Written and produced by Peter Gabriel, Panopticom was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and The Beehive in London. The track is accompanied by a cover image by the artist David Spriggs.

Join the mailing list here: https://lnk.to/PGmailinglist

https://consequence.net/2023/01/peter-gabriel-panopticom-stream/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2302.27 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2796 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: