Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, March 19, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2952 - "Long White Dress" - Tracey Thorn - Music Week 2023 #011

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126563772

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2952 - "Long White Dress" - Tracey Thorn - Music Week 2023 #011


Second post featuring Tracey Thorn in this "12-day week."

Like "Queen," this song got its hooks into me and not just because it contains the name of the album in the lyrics: "Love and its Opposite."

I adore Tracey Thorn.

New album, please, Ms. Thorn.

PLEASE.

Just a few years ago, Thorn reappeared with a solo album, and now she's back with another. Her latest release is a stark, powerful record called Love and Its Opposite. The record centers on themes of second chances and starting life again at middle age -- topics Thorn says are often ignored in pop music.

"If people carry on making music, but write lyrics always from the perspective of younger people, they're actually missing a trick," she says. "There are different stories to tell."



OFFICIAL SITE: https://traceythorn.com/









Tracey Thorn - Topic

Aug 13, 2018
Provided to YouTube by Merge Media Ltd

"Long White Dress" · Tracey Thorn

From the album: Love and Its Opposite

℗ 2010 Merge Records

Released on: 2010-05-18

Composer: Tracey Thorn



"Long White Dress" - Lyrics

Matthew was a wised up kid
He found out everything
Before the rest of us did
He said, "I don't think
That you have to be married"

And I don't know why I felt so scared
I just knew I didn't want to wear
The long white dress
Long white dress

Jackie was the first to hide
Kept all of his better feelings inside
He said, "I know I love you but
I can't decide"

And tucked away in some back bed
Like a ghost of something dead
Long white dress
Long white dress

I know I'm not an independent woman
So you might say, "Well, really
What's the difference?"
Is it all in my head?
Is it all in my head?
Is it all in my head?
I was a romantic kid
I found myself a torch
And a book and I hid
And nothing ever scared me like
A wedding did

And I filled my head with so much shit
And I dreamed and I dreamed of it
Of love and it's opposite

Long white dress
Long white dress
Long white dress
Long white dress


https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0127/1025824-tracey-thorns-regret-about-relationship-with-mother/



Everything But the Girl singer and memoirist Tracey Thorn has reviewed her relationship with her parents, declaring "there is regret there, especially about my relationship with my mum."

Her new book, Another Planet: A Teenager in Suburbia candidly explores her London childhood and youth.

"We’d been very, very close when I was young and then became so distant when I was a teenager, " she tells today's Observer, recalling her relationship with her mother. "And it never completely healed and we ended up being on different sides of every argument and every conversation.




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2303.24 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2816 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: