Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3262 - Bowie's READ Campaign and WHAT I AM READING

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3262 - Bowie's READ Campaign and WHAT I AM READING


Today I am raiding the Instagram feed on the David Bowie account:

https://www.instagram.com/davidbowie/

I had forgotten about the READ campaign Bowie did for American Libraries back in 1986, a few years after Let's Dance

I never considered that Iggy Pop's album might be named after the novel The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky, which I have never read. I should put it on my list.


I had wanted to read an older classic every year, and I have not held to that.

As to what I am reading, I just finished Holly by Stephen King.

I may write about in a future post.

I am reading a lot of graphic novels these days as well as the usual floppy, single-issue comics as well lots of non-fiction books, not all of which are loaded on the CURRENTLY READING section of my GOOD READS page:

https://www.goodreads.com/gmrstudios

I am also reading Jagged Emerald City By RK Brainerd, whom I met at ORYCON in Portland in November, bought her book, and have been really sucked into it, even though I was not going to dedicate reading time to prose books at night and at other "eyeball time," sticking exclusively to audio books for my prose reading. But this book got me, and time that would be spent on comics and graphic novels is being taken with this book that is quote good.

My current graphic novel is Miracleman: The Complete Original Epic, which is dense and slow going, though quite good.

I am about to start All the Marvels by Douglas Wolk, as we are hosting that writer at our next Northwest Voices event.

More on that book later as well.

That's all for today.

Below is a link to the Instagram post of Bowie's READ campaign and the text that went with it.

Thanks for tuning in.




BOWIE’S AMERICAN LIBRARIES READ CAMPAIGN AND THE IDIOT

“Calling Sister Midnight, Well, I'm an idiot for you…”

Back in 2013 we posted BOWIE’S TOP 100 BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST: https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2013/10/1/bowies-top-100-books-the-complete-list 

In 1986 photographer Chalkie Davies produced the portraits here of Bowie with Fyodor Dostoevsky’s The Idiot*, a book not on the list, but that’s no reason not to view these images again.

They were made for the American Library Association‘s READ campaign, and specifically for the 1987 David Bowie for America’s Libraries READ poster, and associated items such as bookmarks.

* David suggested the title for the Iggy Pop album of the same name. He also took the cover shot of Iggy based on Erich Heckel’s painting Roquairol. The photograph is often miscredited to Andrew Kent. Perhaps Iggy can remember the moment?


@iggypopofficial
@chalkiedavies

#BowieBookClub #BowieBookLover #FyodorDostoevskyTheIdiot #IggyPopTheIdiot









+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2401.23 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3126 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: