Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, April 15, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3345 - "Play God" - a new mix for Music Monday 2404.15


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3345 - "Play God" - a new mix  for Music Monday 2404.15

This mix has been in the works for some time.

That's what happens.

I conceive an idea: "hey, I like this song. I should build a mix around it."

I put it on the schedule.

And then, because I have not worked on it at all, I keep pushing back the publication date.

In the end, I just went with a random mix not so much one that has a theme that unites most or all of the songs.

The selections here are mainly songs that came to my attention recently or for one reason or another went into my "favorites" list, which is more a dumping ground for songs to listen to than an actual list of favorites.

Though, because You Tube keeps hiding these lists from me for no reason I can discern, I made a blog post to be able to get to them if I cannot find them in my playlists queue. You Tube really needs a search function in all the ways I can scroll through my playlists.

Sunday, September 26, 2021


This is an interesting collection. After the song for which the mix is named and my starting point -- "Play God" by Ani DiFranco -- I went with contrast and yet thematic unity (I think) with what was chosen as the theme song for the show Constellation on AppleTV+ that I featured on the blog last week.

Monday, April 8, 2024

Hans Zimmer's brilliant theme for the TV show The Crown seemed to follow "Tellur" well, and then there's songs recently recommended by my friend Helene interspersed with other gems, such as PJ Harvey and Jane Siberry.

I haven't even listened to the mix all the way through, honestly. But that's okay. I like randomness and surprises.

I am happy to get Kit Sebastian into a mix as I have proclaimed on social media they are one of my newest most favorite bands, though I have yet to feature them in a blog post... that needs to go on the schedule.

I feel the frame from "Play God" to "Thank You for Hearing Me" works really well, too.

From Track 18 to 26, I am not sure that all works. That's where the mix gets VERY random. 

But I am sticking with this for now.

I hope you like it.

Thanks for tuning in.







"Play God" - a new mix  for Music Monday 2404.15





"Play God" Mix - Track List

[1] Play God - Ani DiFranco (Official Music Video)
[2] Surrogate Sibling - Tellur
[3] Hans Zimmer - The Crown Main Title
[4] This love Craig Armstrong ft Elizabeth Fraser 1998
[5] PJ Harvey - Prayer at the Gate (Official Audio)
[6] Jane Siberry & KD Lang - Calling All Angels
[7] David Sylvian - 'For The Love of Life'
[8] Madonna - Drowned World (William Orbit "A Reverie" Remix) [official]
[9] Peter Gabriel, Liz Fraser & Paul Buchanan - Downside Up (Later with Jools Holland, May 2000)
[10] The Psychedelic Furs - Heartbreak Beat (Official Video)
[11] Chelsea Wolfe - Everything Turns Blue (Official Music Video)
[12] Ryuichi Sakamoto - Heartbeat (Live)
[13] David Bowie – Sweet Thing-Candidate-Sweet Thing (Repr.) -Live at the Univ Amphitheatre- 1974
[14] PORTISHEAD - Sour Times - REMASTERED 2024
[15] Tracey Thorn - Nowhere Near
[16] Kit Sebastian - Lady Grinning Soul
[17] Binary - Ani DiFranco (Official Music Video)
[18] Paul Weller :: Soul Wandering [Official Lyric Video]
[19] MK, Dom Dolla - Rhyme Dust (Official Visualiser)
[20] Ani DiFranco "Asking Too Much"
[21] High and Dry - Radiohead (Cover by Kawehi) | Live from my Basement
[22] Roxy Music - Virginia Plain - Top Of The Pops - 24th August 1972
[23] Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay (Official Music Video)
[24] Portishead - Glory Box
[25] Kit Sebastian - L'Addio (Official Music Video)
[26] Fanny - Ain't That Peculiar (1971) | LIVE
[27] Vegas featuring Siobhan Fahey - Walk Into the Wind (version 1)
[28] One Hundred Years - The Cure (2005 Remaster)
[29] DAVID GILMOUR with DAVID BOWIE 『 Comfortably Numb 』
[30] Who Knows Where The Time Goes? Fairport Convention
[31] Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven [1989]
[32] TOS2020 (single version) - Remission International The Mission UK MWIS - Official
[33] Sinéad O'Connor - Thank You For Hearing Me (Official Music Video) [HD]



"Play God"
- Ani DiFranco
LYRICS

I was done at 16
Showing up for class
I was out there in the ring
Learning how to kick some ass
I was done at 16
Using my momma's key
It was all on me
It was all on me
Weren't no free rides
Weren't no IOU's
I pulled my weight, yeah
I paid my dues
And I showed up to enlist
On the first day of recruits
How 'bout you?
How 'bout you
I'm my brother's keeper
Every chance I can
I pay my taxes
Like any working man
And I feel I've earned
My right to choose
You don't get to play God, man, I do
You don't get to play God, man, I do
You get to run the world
In your special way
You get much more
Much more than your say
Government, religion
It's all just patriarchy
I must insist you leave this one thing to me
Just leave this one thing to me
Just leave this one thing to me
Just leave this one thing
'Cause there's one thing that a man needs
To be truly free
This is the modern world
And that one thing is money
But there are two things
That a woman needs
Control over her own body
Yeah I pay the price
On top of everything
Each month a bill
Each month a reckoning
And each seed that dies
I cry and I bleed
So you can't tell me
You can't tell me
I am a soldier
It's my blood that flows
I'd give my life
So that this tree can grow
You don't know creation
Like I know
So you can't tell me
No you can't tell me
You can't tell me
You can't tell me
You get to run the world
In your special way
You get much more
Much more than your say
Government, religion
It's all just patriarchy
I must insist you leave this one thing to me
Just leave this one thing
Just leave this one thing to me
Just leave this one thing
'Cause I'm my brother's keeper
Every chance I can
I pay my taxes
Like any working man
And I feel I've earned
My right to choose
You don't get to play God, man, I do
You don't get to play God, man, I do
You don't get to play God, man, I do
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Ani Di Franco



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2404.15 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3209 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.


No comments: