Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, October 16, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3163 - The Information Giant Revolution - the Message - Music Mix



A Sense of Doubt blog post #3163 - The Information Giant Revolution - the Message - Music Mix

The lost mix.

I searched my blog repeatedly for this mix as I knew I had seen it, but it was just on You Tube and no blog entry even in draft form.

And then I forgot about it for four years...

This mix started with student recommendations of the first track -- "Giant" by Calvin Harris, Rag'n'Bone Man -- as well as Childish Gambino's "This is America."

From there I wanted a mix of contemporary and older tunes, so I added recommendations from my step-son Ivan of Thundercat and Tyler the Creator.

I added Gil Scott Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" and "Too Much Information" by the Police as I used to use both directly related to a book I have taught many times:







and the concept of CULTURE JAMMING.

This mix is in many ways a CULTURE JAM.


And how prophetic was "Too Much Information" by the Police? 


Some of the songs found their way onto the mix because YouTube keeps making suggestions. Outside of those, I just felt that this mix needed Beastie Boys, PJ Harvey, The Breeders, Run the Jewels, Mos Def (as do all mixes with hip hop need MOS DEF, most definitely), and Grandmaster Flash.

I raided my favorites for tunes like "Havana" by Camila Cabello and Radiohead.

But when YouTube suggests a WEEZER cover of "Take On Me," well, HELL YES, to that.

I am proud of this mix.

It has new to me songs or artists -- Rachael Price, Seinabo Sey, and Grinderman -- and I hope some new to you music as well.

The lost mix is now found and posted!

Thanks for tuning in.







1. Calvin Harris, Rag'n'Bone Man - Giant (Official Video)
2. Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
3. The Police - Too Much Information HD
4. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
5. Camila Cabello - Havana
6. Yeah! Oh, Yeah! - The Magnetic Fields
7. Childish Gambino - This Is America
8. Vampire Weekend - This Life 
9. Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
10. INXS - Mediate
11. Mitski - Nobody
12. Built to Spill - I Would Hurt a Fly
13. Nick Cave and PJ Harvey - Henry Lee
14. Gil Scott Heron - We almost Lost Detroit
15. Frou Frou - Let Go
16. Weezer - Take On Me
17. The Breeders - Cannonball 
18. PJ Harvey - The Wheel
19. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
20. 'Til Tuesday - Coming Up Close
21. Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise
22. Run The Jewels - Legend Has It
23. Vampire Weekend - Harmony Hall
24. LCD Soundsystem - oh baby
25. Chaka Khan - Like Sugar
26. Seinabo Sey - I Owe You Nothing
27. Van McCoy & Pan's People » Do the Hustle (1975)
28. Grinderman - Get it On
29. ThunderCat - Them Changes
30. Radiohead - The Numbers: Jonny, Thom & a CR78
31. Mitski - Washing Machine Heart
32. Eurythmics - Beethoven (I Love to Listen To)
33. Rachael Price - Can't Find My Way Home
34. Steely Dan - Do It Again
35. Thundercat & Tame Impala - "No More Lies"
36. Tyler the Creator - Earfquake
37. Mos Def - Quiet Dog, Bite Hard
38. Air - La Femme D'Argent (Music Video) [A Trip Down Market Street - Restored] [FLAC]
39. Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric ? ( Very Rare Unbroadcast Complete Version 1979 )
40. Thundercat - 'Show You The Way (feat. Michael McDonald & Kenny Loggins)' (Official Video)
41. Calvin Harris, Rag'n'Bone Man - Giant (Calvin Harris version)



BONUS






+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2310.16 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3027 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: