Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, May 17, 2021

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2281 - "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" by Bruce Springsteen - Musical Monday for 2105.17

bruce and Diane - https://www.edgallucciphotography.com/bruce-springsteen/

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2281 - "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" by Bruce Springsteen - Musical Monday for 2105.17



I may be out of low power mode and caught up, but I am not doing elaborate posts. So another one song post, but new mixes are coming. I also have a post on PUSSY RIOT that I am creating.

I am writing a new short story, and my main character is named Rosalita; thus, I think of this Bruce Springsteen song.

And so here's some content focused on that great, great, GREAT song.

Thanks for tuning in.

https://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics.php?song=rosalita




ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) 

Album version

Spread out now, Rosie, doctor come cut loose her mama's reins
You know playin' blind man's bluff is a little baby's game
You pick up Little Dynamite, I'm gonna pick up Little Gun
And together we're gonna go out tonight and make that highway run
You don't have to call me lieutenant, Rosie, and I don't want to be your son
The only lover I'm ever gonna need's your soft sweet little girl's tongue
Ah, Rosie, you're the one

Dynamite's in the belfry, baby, playin' with the bats
Little Gun's downtown in front of Woolworth's, tryin' out his attitude on all the cats
Papa's on the corner, waitin' for the bus
Mama, she's home in the window, waitin' up for us
She'll be there in that chair when they wrestle her upstairs, 'cause you know we ain't gonna come
Ah, I ain't here on business, baby, I'm only here for fun
And Rosie, you're the one

Rosalita, jump a little lighter
Senorita, come sit by my fire
I just want to be your lover, ain't no liar
Rosalita, you're my stone desire

Jack the Rabbit and Weak Knees Willie, don't you know they're gonna be there
Ah, Sloppy Sue and Big Bones Billy, they'll be comin' up for air
We're gonna play some pool, skip some school, act real cool
Stay out all night, it's gonna feel all right
So Rosie, come out tonight, oh, baby, come out tonight
Windows are for cheaters, chimneys for the poor
Oh, closets are for hangers, winners use the door
So use it Rosie, that's what it's there for

And Rosalita, jump a little lighter
Senorita, come sit by my fire
I just want to be your lover, ain't no liar
Rosalita, you're my stone desire
All right

Now, I know your mama, she don't like me 'cause I play in a rock and roll band
And I know your daddy, he don't dig me, but he never did understand
Your papa lowered the boom, he locked you in your room
I'm coming to lend a hand
I'm coming to liberate you, confiscate you, I want to be your man
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
But now you're sad, your mama's mad
And your papa says he knows that I don't (have any money)
Whoa, your papa says he knows (that I don't have any money)
Whoa, so your daddy says he knows I don't have (Papa says he knows that I don't have any money)

Well, tell him this is his last chance to get his daughter in a fine romance
Because the record company, Rosie, just gave me a big advance
And my tires were slashed and I almost crashed, but the Lord had mercy
And my machine, she's a dud, out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Well, hold on tight, stay up all night, 'cause Rosie, I'm comin' on strong
By the time we meet the morning light, I will hold you in my arms
I know a pretty little place in Southern California down San Diego way
There's a little café where they play guitars all night and all day
You can hear 'em in the back room strummin'
So hold tight, baby, 'cause don't you know daddy's comin'
Oh, everybody, so!

Rosalita, jump a little lighter
Senorita, come sit by my fire
I just want to be your love, ain't no lie
Rosalita, you're my stone desire
Oh, yeah
(Oh, yeah, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

(Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!)



Info

ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) is a song written by Bruce Springsteen and released on his 1973 album The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle. The above lyrics are for Bruce Springsteen's album version of ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) as released in 1973.









The album version of ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) was included on The Essential Bruce Springsteen (both 2003 and 2015 editions) compilation album, the Greatest Hits (2009 editions) compilation album, and the Collection: 1973-2012 compilation album.

Writing And Recording

Bruce Springsteen's autobiographical song ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) was inspired by his relationship with Diane Lozito, his girlfriend between summer 1971 and early 1975. See below section for more details. According to Brucebase, the song was written in late 1972. In an interview for Mojo magazine published in January 1999, Springsteen told Mark Hagen that he wrote ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) as a live showstopper, and it was probably the best song he ever wrote for that particular job.

In his 1998 book Songs, Springsteen wrote: "'Rosalita' was my musical autobiography. it was my 'getting out of town' preview for Born To Run, with more humor. I wrote it as a kiss-off to everybody who counted you out, put you down, or decided you weren't good enough. The lyrics also took a peek into the future – 'Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.' Not that it would BE funny, but that it would all SEEM funny. Probably one of the most useful lines I've ever written."

The recording officially released on The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle was cut during the second phase of the album's recording sessions. The band line-up on this track is Bruce Springsteen, Clarence Clemons, Danny Federici, Vini Lopez, David Sancious, and Garry Tallent. The track, as well as the whole album, was recorded at Sound Studios in Blauvelt, NY and produced by Mike Appel and Jimmy Cretecos.

Diane Lozito

Diane Lozito, a fresh high school graduate, met Bruce Springsteen in summer 1971 at a show on the Jersey Shore. Her boyfriend, a law student named Bill, took her to the club; he knew the guitar player, Springsteen. He told her he plays live van Morrison and Bob Dylan, two musicians she adored. As Peter Knobler wrote in Crawdaddy magazine, Lozito apparently made an impression on the 21-year-old Springsteen. They became friends and she kept running into him throughout the summer. "Billy and his friends were major party boys," Lozito recalled. "But Bruce didn't drink or get high. One night at the beach, when Billy and the others were drinking, Bruce and I tucked around a rock and started kissing. Then I said, 'It's time to go' – because I was so scared of getting busted by Billy. That was a nice night. Light coming off the ocean, nothing like it." Springsteen carried a notebook and was always jotting things down. "The next day he showed me the line 'She kissed me just right/Like only a lonely angel can.'" That was SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT.

As Knobler wrote, soon Billy was out of the picture, Lozito and Springsteen talked about moving in together, and she took him to meet her mother. "Bruce charmed her to death," Lozito told Knobler. "When we left the house, he said, 'Oh, she loved me. She's gonna say yes!'" The next day he dropped by. "Did she say we could move in?" Springsteen asked. "Well, no," Lozito replied. "Why?" "Because my father was a musician, and you're a musician." Her parents' divorce hadn't gone well. Lozito watched as Springsteen wrote in his book: "I know your mama, she don't like me 'cause I play in a rock and roll band." "OK, your dad," Springsteen said, "he's a musician. He's gotta love me. Ask him." But Lozito's father told her, "All musicians are bums."

Springsteen and Lozito moved in together a year later over her parents' objections and he wrote the classics that turned up on his first three albums, along with performance legends that weren't released for years. "I'd ask, 'Why isn't my name in those songs?" Lozito says. "He'd tell me, 'It's boring having a whole album about the same girl. And nothing rhymes with Diane.'" Eventually Springsteen met the rest of Lozito's family, including her grandmother, Rose Lozito. In that part of Jersey, it's pronounced Lazita. Rose Lazita. "He wrote 'Rosalita' in bits and pieces and didn't have a title for it," she says. "My mom is Rita Lozito. Then he met my grandma. So I assume that's where he put it together."

In early 1975, when Springsteen was finishing Born To Run, she packed up and left. She told him, "I'm sorry, I'm so tired of being introduced as 'Bruce's girlfriend.'" Years later, she visited Springsteen at his hotel after a concert. He saw her and opened his arms. As they embraced, Lozito whispered, "That man behind me is my husband." "Bruce went 'Eeewww!'" she says with a laugh. There were more hugs and kisses from band members she hadn't seen in years. One of the new musicians – "new to me," Lozito says – asked, "Why are you guys hugging her? Who is she?" Then someone – she can't remember who – informed him. "You know who that is? That's Rosalita!"

Diane Lozito is the real "Sandy" in 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY), she's "Rosalita" in ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT), she's the girl in THUNDERCRACK, she's the "Crazy Janey" in SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT, and she's the "Terry" in BACKSTREETS. Diane says that BOBBY JEAN is also about her. When she left him, he went to ask her mother where she were – he sent her no more letters, but talked to her through his songs. "When he was with me he wrote all the time," she said, and his songs were about girls and relationships, but when they separated it was no more about women because he lived alone. He started writing "car songs, and fictional songs," as she put it.

he Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle is Bruce Springsteen's second studio album. It was recorded between mid-May 1973 and mid-September 1973 at 914 Sound Studios in Blauvelt, NY. Studio time was slotted in during various itinerary breaks in the Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. Tour, but recording sessions dragged on much longer than originally anticipated and this eventually caused some gig rescheduling and cancellations during the period from July to September 1973.

The album's recording sessions can be split into distinct phases:

  • The first phase of sessions took place on 15-22 May and 17-20 June, and featured the then-touring line-up of Bruce Springsteen, Clarence Clemons, Danny Federici, Garry Tallent, and Vini Lopez. Neither David Sancious nor any other musicians were involved in these initial sessions.
  • The second phase of sessions took place on 26 June-02 July, 11-16 July, 04-12 August, and 10-25 September, and included all of the above-mentioned musicians, plus new E Street Band member David Sancious (who joined in on 22 June), as well as niche session contributions by Suki Lahav on vocals, Richard Blackwell on congas and percussion, and Albee Tellone on baritone sax.

Most of the basic ensemble recording of The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle emanates from the first phase of sessions, prior to the arrival of David Sancious to the sessions on 22 Jun 1973. Sancious verified in a late seventies interview with Thunder Road magazine that most of the session songs had already been recorded (as basic tracks) by the time he joined. He then overdubbed his parts onto these recordings. THE E STREET SHUFFLE is an exception, which was written after Sancious became a member of the band. The latter phase of the sessions involved embellishing additional "frills" instrumentation, vocals, and experimenting with different mixes. No audio evidence has yet emerged that any of the basic recordings of were re-recorded from scratch with Sancious. Indeed, one of the most noteworthy aspects to the audio evidence that has emerged from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle recording sessions is that there is not one genuine alternate take to be found – all song recording variations are merely alternate mixes of the same basic recording.





The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle was produced by Mike Appel and Jim Cretecos and engineered by Louis Lahav. It features 7 new Springsteen compositions and clocks at 46:47. It was commercially released on 05 Nov 1973.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2105.17 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2145 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: