Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, December 12, 2021

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2490 - RIP - Anne Rice



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2490 - RIP - Anne Rice

STOP THE PRESSES!!

I had another post scheduled for today, and so I postponed it to bring you all this sad news.

Anne Rice has passed away early this morning.

I may do more on this subject in the near future because I am GRADING ROBOT and have little time now.

I saw Scalzi's post (directly below) first on my RSS feed and that's how I found out Anne Rice had died.

I am a huge Anne Rice fan. Though despite describing my fandom that way, I know there are readers who love her even more.

I am sad to say that her last Vampire book, Blood Communion, is still unread in my book shelf because I considered reading some of the more recent LESTAT books prior to tackling it. Maybe now I won't. Maybe now it soars to the top of the stack.

I have enjoyed her books so much. I remember fondly reading Queen of The Dammed in the KVCC library between classes I was teaching.

I remember standing in line for hours at a book signing in Massachusetts when visiting my friend.

I remember that when I first read Interview with a Vampire that Louis made my top three characters I would like to play on stage or in film along with Inigo Montoya (a decision I made before the film was made) and Holden Caufield. I was okay with Brad Pitt's performance but thought I could have done better.

Anne Rice... even at 80, taken too soon.

Is it in poor taste to ponder if she will RISE AGAIN in the dark of night?

Thank you for all the gothic deliciousness, Ms. Rice. I will miss you.

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2021/12/12/rip-anne-rice/



RIP, Anne Rice

To the above tweet I’ll add that, because early on I wanted to know more about the amazing woman who I hoped to marry, I went ahead and read several of Rice’s books, specifically from her vampire and “Witching Hour” series. In those books it was obvious that very few people could set a scene or mood like Rice could — her vision of New Orleans in each series was immediate and heady, and I could feel the humidity and the heat, sitting in a small air-conditioned apartment in California. She pioneered a subgenre that I supposed could only be described as pop gothic, which aside from the books was gloriously realized in the 1994 film directed by Neil Jordan (which Rice was at first skeptical of, and then publicly delighted by).

She had style, in other words, of a sort not many had. She’ll be missed.

This song by Sting, inspired by Interview With the Vampire

— JS

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59627125


Anne Rice, author of Interview with the Vampire, dies aged 80


Anne Rice, author of the gothic novel Interview with the Vampire, has died at the age of 80.

The American writer, who sold more than 150 million books, died surrounded by her family on Saturday night.

She died due to complications resulting from a stroke, her son Christopher Rice announced on her Facebook page.

"In her final hours, I sat beside her hospital bed in awe of her accomplishments and her courage," he wrote.

Interview with the Vampire was published in 1976 and went on to be a best seller. It was later adapted into a movie starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt in 1994.

She went on to wrote sequels to the book, forming a series called The Vampire Chronicles. Another of her books from the series, Queen of the Damned, was also made into a film in 2002.


Rice also wrote erotic fiction under the pseudonyms Anne Rampling and AN Roquelaure, including Exit to Eden.

"The immensity of our family's grief cannot be overstated. As my mother, her support for me was unconditional - she taught me to embrace my dreams, reject conformity and challenge the dark voices of fear and self-doubt," her son wrote.

"As a writer, she taught me to defy genre boundaries and surrender to my obsessive passions."



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2112.12 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2354 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: