Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2507 - Blogging - the Broadcasting House



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2507 - Blogging - the Broadcasting House


This post has been in the works for some time as it came from Warren Ellis. And in 2020, his career crashed and burned when it came to light that he was guilty of all sorts of sexual abuse of his position and power including grooming and some really ugly stuff.

Here's what I put in this post:

Saturday, November 6, 2021

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2454 - THE ATOMIC PILGRIMMAGE - Weekly Hodge Podge for 2111.06


I think what Warren has done over many, many years is terrible, but I do his miss his constant presence in my life. I adored his weekly newsletters and his work in comics and TV. I hope he is doing well. I hope he is writing a massive novel to rival Joyce's Ulysses.

Anyway, content here comes from him...

As I was explaining the other day, I have been doing this blogging thing for quite some time now. Aside from the period of infrequent activity though an attempt to be weekly from March 2014 - July 2015. I have been publishing a daily blog post.

It shouldn't be a surprise that I started blogging given my history for publication. I was making booklets of stories starting in fourth grade. I started several versions of a magazine while in junior high and even produced a few issues using the school mimeograph machine while in eighth grade. In high school, I started writing for the local village paper and later college papers and later the city newspapers. I have always had a need to show off what I had written, like a "grown-up" version of show and tell.

So, it isn't surprising that I started blogging; it's surprising that I didn't start the work until 2007 given the proliferation of blog publications prior to that year.

And it hasn't always been easy.

After my year of infrequent activity, I learned that I needed the daily schedule to produce and meet deadlines. If Blogger did not allow me to post blogs backwards in time, I would have had to admit defeat of the daily schedule before now. But I can post backwards and forwards in time, so I can get behind on the blog and catch up or post ahead of time. My worst falling behind came in 2016 when I was TWELVE days behind and posted thirteen blogs over a two day period to get current again. I have fallen a few days behind since then but never that many days.

The blog was always meant to be simple. Originally, starting with the T-shirts Blog, the idea was to post a photo and some writing and that's it. But then, no one will ever accuse me of not having ambition. The blog posts just grew and grew.

I did less straight up sharing of other people's content. I started sharing more with the HEY MOM series of SENSE OF DOUBT once I started to run out of grief related posts or my willingness to write them.

Lately, I have been working to get ahead on the blog and space out the original content. It's the original content (like this) that is time consuming, and often in very full work days, I do not have the time to do that work.

I plan out the blog on sheets of heavy paper torn from magazine subscription fillers, like this:


As you can see, I plan out about three weeks at a time. I have taken to creating the next two sheets ahead of time, which I am likely to continue. So I am ready to at least tentatively commit to posts through March third right now, which is last day on the third sheet.

But things get bumped for all sorts of reasons. Original entries get bumped because they are not done yet. Several mostly original entries on this sheet have been bumped many times already, such as JK Rowlings as a TERF, CRT, and the Qanon post.

Other times even a simple share can be bumped because something major happens, such as the deaths of Anne Rice and Bell Hooks or the disgusting teacher cash grab thing out of South Dakota.

I may be overly ambitious in thinking I can bang out twelve mostly original posts in the next three weeks. It's possible that some of those will get bumped once school starts.

But I am going to try because I have so many other mostly original posts in the queue that are not even listed in this set of three weeks shown above.

This is Broadcasting House.

Like when I write announcements to my students, I imagine them reading them as I write. Similarly, I imagine you dear reader as I type these words. I rarely hear from you, but I see your clicks, and sometimes someone will say: "I read your blog."

So these are my broadcasts. Inner messages from the world of ideas, imagination, and spirit.

Thanks for reading.


BLOG STUFF - THE BROADCASTING HOUSE - VIA WARREN ELLIS


 super simple blogging platforms I just noticed via Things To Click:
None of us still blogging do it for clicks.  We do it to leave our traces, because it feels good to us, and because complete statements are better than tweets or facebook updates.
In fact, here's a thing I wrote on LTD about writing for blogs that I'm just gonna repost here because it might provide some of you with food for thought and because I'm out of time!
Zuihitsu is a genre of Japanese literature consisting of loosely connected personal essays and fragmented ideas that typically respond to the author’s surroundings. The name is derived from two Kanji meaning “at will” and “pen.” The provenance of the term is ultimately Chinese… the native reading of which is fude ni shitagau (“follow the brush”). Thus works of the genre should be considered not as traditionally planned literary pieces but rather as casual or randomly recorded thoughts by the authors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuihitsu

I have long had the notion that zuihitsu is, in fact, the sort of writing that weblog software best enables. That these are not diaries but fragments. Zuihitsu and fragment writing has fascinated me for a long time. I created the jotter category (on LTD) to try and give myself permission for “casual or randomly recorded thoughts.”
I tend to re-read HOJOKI and ESSAYS IN IDLENESS once every year or two. A previous writing location of mine, Morning Computer, was intended as a home for this kind of fragment writing, but I found myself constrained by a place that was just that. I may be Full Hermit Forever, but I still need to be able to send signals out into the world, and it gives me pleasure to be able to draw your attention, reader, to the things in the world that I like.
We in the Isles of Blogging should consider ourselves allowed to follow the brush more.
###
 
THE TESLA WORLD LIGHT.  Somewhere between Maddin, Svankmajer and Lynch, perhaps.  Directed by Matthew Rankin. Some details.



https://warrenellis.ltd/jot/broadcasting-house-2/

Broadcasting House: 2



8sided

Atlas Minor



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2112.29 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2371 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: