Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, February 6, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post 2546 - Ka-Zar, Venom, Black Panther, and Nightwing - COMIC BOOK SUNDAY for 2202.06



A Sense of Doubt blog post 2546 - Ka-Zar, Venom, Black Panther, and Nightwing - COMIC BOOK SUNDAY for 2202.06

I am ill, and it might be Covid, probably Omicron. As I am a day late getting this entry posted, I can report that I am getting tested today in a few hours (Monday morning January 17th).

Okay.... almost a month later. February 6th, 2022. I tested negative, but I was still very ill.

I had more ambitious plans for this entry, but since I am not feeling well, have been resting, and still trying to get some work done, I dialed back my plans for how extensive this post would be.

Mainly, I just wanted to maintain my trend of writing about what I am reading and keeping Sundays for either general reading related posts or specifically COMIC BOOK SUNDAY posts.

Lately, my prose fiction in book form consumption has been relegated to just audio books because I am either reading single issue floppies or graphic novels in my nightly pre-sleep reading time or on Sundays during football.

I want to either seriously reduce my two huge stacks of graphic novels on my dresser or eliminate them entirely. And as such, I have read lots and lots of graphic novels, some of which I have written about here, such as BLACK HAMMER, and some I will be writing about soon, such as Gender Queer. I just finished Mera: Tide Breaker, which I loved!

For this post, I wanted to just select some of the comics that I have been really looking forward to and why not necessarily the best things I am reading as well as two long-life favorites.

And so this post is dedicated to the new Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land book from Marvel; the reboot of Venom by (supposedly) Al Ewing and Bryan Hitch but mostly just Ram V and Hitch, which is okay as I love Ram V's writing; and another reboot with acclaimed writer and filmmaker John Ridley taking over Marvel's Black Panther with art by Juann Cabal after the very successful run by Ta-Nehisi Coates. And lastly, two of the comics at the top of my stack every month because of my life long love of them and the characters therein: Nightwing and The Fantastic Four.

I have tagged my "List-Fave Marvel Heroes" category because two of the three characters from the first set of comics I described above -- Ka-Zar and Black Panther -- are among my favorite "non-franchise" heroes at Marvel. When I made the list back in 2013, the Black Panther movie had not yet come out and the character was still not a franchise hallmark, like Iron Man, Spider-Man, the Hulk, or Captain America.

Just for consistency, here's that list:


MARVEL TOP TWENTY NON-FLAGSHIP SUPERHEROES - MEN
Yes, here it is, the list you have been waiting for. It was difficult to make this list. I had to confine myself to male Marvel heroes who either did not have their own books or who had/have solo books but are not considered the pillars of the Franchise (like Spider-Man and Captain America). Doctor Strange heads the list.
  1. Doctor Strange - wiki
  2. The Silver Surfer  - wiki
  3. The Black Panther  - wiki
  4. The Vision  - wiki
  5. Adam Warlock  - wiki
  6. The Black Knight  - wiki
  7. Daimon Hellstorm - Son of Satan  - wiki
  8. Iron Fist  - wiki
  9. Killraven  - wiki
  10. Falcon  - wiki
  11. Ka-Zar  - wiki
  12. Deathlok  - wiki
  13. MOON KNIGHT  - wiki
  14. Black Bolt  - wiki
  15. Nova - wiki
  16. 3D Man  - wiki
  17. Machine Man  - wiki
  18. Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu  - wiki
  19. Quasar  - wiki
  20. Captain Mar-Vell  - wiki
As you can see, I have Black Panther ranked as my NUMBER THREE favorite, and really the top five could shift at any time depending on my mood, though Doctor Strange would probably always remain NUMBER ONE.


FROM - Saturday, July 8, 2017

No Venom (because I have never been a huge fan of the symbiote) but Black Panther and Ka-Zar.

The new Ka-Zar comic is very good, not great. But I really like Ka-Zar. I love the concept of the hidden pre-historic land, The Savage Land, that has been a trope in fantastic fiction going back before the pulps. Marvel has done many interesting things with Ka-Zar and the Savage Land over the years, and I used to always really look forward to new Ka-zar issues in the 1970s. This return from the dead and grown up with fatherhood Ka-Zar suits the needs of the older fans.

I am a huge Al Ewing fan mainly from The Immortal Hulk, which I have written about on this blog many times, such as 

Sunday, February 3, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1439 - "Comics Are Going Downhill" - NOT!

And I just ADORE BRYAN HITCH and try to read everything he draws, even when it's dreadful.

I was a little disappointed when PREVIEWS showed that Ram V was writing multiple issues and not Al Ewing because this is just the bait and switch BULLSHIT that Marvel pulls ALL THE TIME. But I do really like Ram V, so, not a big deal.


I have always loved the idea of the hidden place in our world, the "lost" world, the Land that Time Forgot, the primitive pre-historic paradise. And so, Marvel's answer to Tarzan fit this fictional fantasy well.

When I was a young kid, Ka-Zar stories were alluring because of how simple they were. Interlopers in the jungle paradise, those who did not belong, those who would seek to spoil and/or exploit the hidden land, and so Ka-Zar is its protector.

I mean, what better "boy and his dog" fantasy is there than a buff young man who can swing around the jungle, fight dinosaurs, have a highly-intelligent Sabretooth Tiger as a pet/loyal companion, have a treehouse home, have a hot jungle wife. The Ka-Zar stories checked all the male-fantasy boxes.

But it was time for an upgrade.

One thing that the entire comics industry has figured out is its appeal to long time fans who are now adults as well as new readers and new fans who happen to be adults.

The new Ka-Zar stories explore many interesting themes, and I am not upset at all by the power upgrade for Shanna and Ka-zar given its origin.

This comic may not be amazing and mind-blowing in a seminal way, but I am loving it.

Critics and readers love it, too. 8.3 critic rating on COMIC ROUNDUP and 7.7 reader rating.




For some reason, and it's strange, one must copy and paste these links to make them work, which is why I have not made them active hyperlinks.

ENTIRE SERIES URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/ka-zar-lord-of-the-savage-land-(2021)













FIRST ISSUE URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/ka-zar-lord-of-the-savage-land-(2021)/1


I am not sure I would give this comic a 10/10, but it would earn high marks from me, a nine-something for sure.

https://www.comicon.com/2021/09/09/review-marvel-meets-eco-horror-in-ka-zar-lord-of-the-savage-land-1/

Review: Marvel Meets Eco-Horror In ‘Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land’ #1

by Scott Redmond
10/10

Overview

Every so often there is a new comic book series that just hits all the right spots and takes the reader beyond where they ever expected and just leaves them craving far more, and right now ‘Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land’ is that series. Great depth of character, gorgeous mood setting artwork that stands apart from all the rest, deep messages about real-world issues, and a bunch of comic book superhero-like fun.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Despite the long-time relationship that real-world issues/concerns/politics/etc and all forms of art have had, it’s not always easy to find a way to marry tackling of those events and the other demands that are often made of particular mediums. Such as in superhero and superhero adjacent comic books, where a certain level of action/heroes taking on villains is expected from much of the audience. Some books are able to balance that superheroic action, lots of great character work, and also tackle looking at some of the big issues that we face in our own world.

Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land #1 is most assuredly one of those comic books.

Billed as an “eco-horror revival of Marvel’s mighty Jungle Lord” by series writer Zac Thompson, the first issue of this series lives up to all the hype around it. The Savage Land is one of the most unique and richest story areas in the Marvel Universe that is still so ripe for exploration. Using it as a means to look at ecological issues of the world with a horror tinge while still bringing all the action and character is perfection.

It helps that the book is truly gorgeous and unique thanks to the stunning work of Germán García, Matheus Lopes, and Joe Caramagna. Right away there are some really nightmarishly horrific scenes that are sure to stick with the reader just because they are so wonderfully bizarre and frightening but just stand out so well because of the amazing art and coloring.

García and Lopes’ work is almost dream-like in so many ways, which is fitting since the Savage Land is such an otherworldly like place that we could only dream of ever visiting. Everything from Ka-Zar (along with Shanna, Matthew, and Zabu) to a compromised T-Rex, to even the issue end revealed ‘being’, and all the nature around them are drawn so distinct and uniquely. Everything has personality and a spark, just as one would expect from such a place as the Savage Land.

There is a really warm yellow filter-like glow that is found across the pages, that never once mutes the other bright pops of colors that can be found in the issue. Rather than being all shadowy or dark, which is one way to convey horror, this series takes the other route. It showcases the horror right away but also brings you in with this warm and welcoming feeling because the land it takes place in is sunny and welcoming but also vastly dangerous at the same time.

Along with the wonderful lettering work that Caramagna does across the board with the mood-setting captions on the first page as well as the beyond solid dialogue work across the book and the SFX that seamlessly blend into the same style as all the other artwork. One could just hear when the Fall People scream out Ka-Zar’s name or nod your head and go “Yep that is definitely what flowers hitting a rampaging T-Rex in the face would sound like.”

Even the dialogue/caption boxes have the same gold/yellow comfort warmth feeling of the artwork, helping draw one even deeper into Ka-Zar’s thoughts and feelings at this moment. Just all-around amazing work that feels so unique and different from so many other books on the shelves.

On the character end, it’s great to see a follow-up on Ka-Zar’s death and resurrection from last year’s Empyre event series. While at the same time we get an actual bit of time to follow around the Plunder family and their lives and struggles in the Savage Land as Ka-Zar deals with his new powers and their son Matthew pushes back against his parents and their ways. Previously we had just gotten told that Matthew grew up at some point to become a teenager, but here we get to see what that means when one lives somewhere like the Savage Land.




Thompson not only fully gets the characters and the struggles they face but writes them in a way that despite how they butt heads and differ, you can feel that they are a family, and also you aren’t left feeling that any particular one is more right than the others. Which is a situation that most of us are likely very familiar with.

This series will most certainly go down as a classic and definitive Ka-Zar/Savage Land story when all is said and done.

Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land #1 is now on sale in print and digitally from Marvel Comics.






VENOM

ENTIRE SERIES URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/venom-(2021)


I am not a huge Venom fan. I like the idea, don't get me wrong. The introduction of the new Spider-Man suit in Secret Wars back in the 1980s was brilliant, and I assume the plan all along was to have the symbiote try to control Peter and ultimately transform into Venom.

Likewise, re-imagining Venom as more of a force for good than evil, much like the Hulk, was also a smart move. The recent examination of the Planet of the Symbiotes and the Lord of the all -- Knull -- was a really smart move. It was a story readers and fans were long owed, much like the home planet of the Alien of the Alien movies or at least their origin.

So, when I say I am not a huge Venom fan, I mean that I have never been a reader of the comic, which, with Flash Thompson standing in for Eddie Brock, was a long-running series (100-some issues). Nor did I rush out and watch the new Venom film.

It's kind of that surface-level attraction thing that drew fans to the superheroes as zombie stories, the DC dark universe Death Metal stories, and the whole Venom-Carnage schtick at Marvel. Fans are all googley-eyed over how "cool" it is visually and it feels extreme and edgy, but it's all surface allure. There's not much else to it.

But as I wrote above, with the promise of Immortal Hulk genius Al Ewing helming a Venom book drawn by Bryan Hitch, well, DUH, I am so into that. Even the Marvel bait and switch that they seem to do all the time to serve up Ram V stories after Ewing does a single issue has yet to make me jump ship from the book as it still features the art of BRYAN HITCH, and I really like Ram V (These Savage Shores, Swamp Thing, Justice League Dark). So, okay, let's do this.

We're four issues in so far, though I have only read three because with most things I am always an issue behind as I wait to get my monthly shipment from Michigan.

So far, so good. I like it, but I do not LOVE it. Though I do see the need to explore the aftermath of the King in Black series and the new Lord of the Symbiotes.

Readers rated it higher than Ka-Zar with which I disagree: 8.5 readers and 8.6 critics on COMIC ROUND UP for the first issue; 8.6 readers and 8.1 critics overall.

8.2 of 10

“In rage and fury, I hear its voice flowing through my veins”…


Emotion, passion, tenacity. These are just a few words that come to mind when talking about Venom. Venom has been a Marvel mainstay for the past three decades, seeing both ups and downs in popularity. Fast forward 31 years to the remarkable run of Cates and Stegman, who completely tore Venom down and laid the foundation for a new direction. Marvel found the right team to lay the foundation. Now they need to find the team to build and bring along the next era of Venom. 

Enter Al Ewing and Ram V. As Marvel continues to search out that iron-clad team to take their beloved symbiote to new heights after Cates and Stegman. As the saying goes, Marvel spared no expense on getting Ewing, V, Hitch, Currie, Sinclair, and Cowles to lead the charge in this new era of Venom. And as Marvel spared no expense in their search, this symbiote super-team spared none in their first offering of Venom, and I must say…I’m here for it!

Everything about this book is pretty stellar or interstellar (that was a space joke). I’ll be honest; I wasn’t sure how Ewing and V would be together on Venom. As two of my favorite writers, I was stoked, but I wasn’t sure if we needed them both. Similarly, when Pearl Jam and Neil Young got together when I was a teenager, I wasn’t sure if I needed them both together on a project. I was wrong then, and I was wrong now. 



We catch up with Eddie, Dylan, and Venom in their post-Knull roles and a world still reeling from the former King in Black’s brutal clutch. As the story unfolds, we realize something else is at work, and it’s working against Eddie, Dylan, and Venom. To add insult to injury, Dylan is still at odds with his dad and with life in general. It feels like his only time of salvation is when he’s with Venom, and he’s dealing violence like a dealer deals blackjack.

Final Thoughts

It’s rare for lightning to strike twice, but in Marvel’s case, it has not only struck twice but with the impact of a ten-ton hammer. When you reach the end of this issue, you will need to pick your jaw off the floor and a scotch.  



ENTIRE SERIES URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/black-panther-(2021)






First issue URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/black-panther-(2021)/1

Again, as I wrote before, Black Panther is one of my favorite heroes in the Marvel universe and near the top of my list (number three) of what I consider to be "non-franchise" heroes, non-FLAGSHIP properties, ones that would not get movies about them, which was true when I made the list, and now nine of the twenty have had a movie or TV show or have one in the works, and it's ten if I count Carol Danvers Captain Marvel, which I should.

I LOVE Ta-Nehisi Coates' writing and work in comics and books, both fiction and non-fiction, as well as journalism. I think he is a tremendous person, and I wish we had gone to school together and been buds. Though I felt his Black Panther run bogged down near the end with the space saga, I admired him for doing it (it's the kind of thing I would have done) and though the issues did not grip my quite so much as any in the first 20 or so, I still really enjoyed them.

But new blood is always needed. And John Ridley has been making a name for himself in comics. His I am Batman series at DC is really great, and his Secret History of the DC Universe was needed and enjoyable and somehow I have misplaced the first issue, which I need to reread before reading the others.

Juann Cabal's art is gorgeous and perfect to depict T-Challa and company. No one has forgotten the rich history of the characters and of Wakanda, particularly the way Coates enriched that history and culture.

I would definitely give this comic a 10/10, and I am excited to read the third issue, which arrived the other day from Michigan and is next on my stack.

ADVANCED REVIEW: ‘Black Panther,’ Issue #1


Black Panther #1 is written by John Ridley, illustrated by Juann Cabal, colored by Federico Blee, and lettered & designed by VC’s Joe Sabino. It is published by Marvel Comics. Part one of “The Long Shadow” explores T’Challa’s many roles; he serves as king of the nation of Wakanda, leads the Avengers into battle, and expands Wakanda’s reach into the stars. However, a violent attack reveals one of T’Challa’s many secrets. Prior to opening Wakanda to the world, he integrated ten Wakandan agents into society with the orders to attack if anyone posed a threat to Wakanda. However, those agents are in danger, and the Black Panther’s bonds of family and friendship will be tested.

Any comic fan or creator can tell you that it’s a challenge to follow up on a critically acclaimed run for a beloved character; this is especially true of the Black Panther. Ta-Nehishi Coates’ run not only introduced grand concepts such as the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda, but it also helped shape concepts in Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther film. Ridley, who is also currently revamping the Batman mythos with I Am Batman, wisely makes the decision to shift from a sci-fi tale to a spy caper, exploring how T’Challa’s secrets affect his relationships. At the beginning of the issue, the Panther promises Captain America that he’ll focus his efforts on Avengers leadership; later, that promise is broken as he embarks on a mission with one of his agents. T’Challa’s sister Shuri also correctly points out that his plans border on paranoia, and it’s not hard to see her point.

Cabal has previously illustrated a variety of Marvel titles including Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. He finds the perfect balance between those extremes in Balck Panther #1. The book opens with a fight scene featuring Panther, Cap, Thor, and Doctor Strange battling a horde of stone creatures in Iceland. The end result is superpowered mayhem as the Panther cuts the creatures into shreds, with Cap’s shield and Thor’s hammer whizzing around him. Another sequence focuses on a pair of T’Challa’s agents fighting a group of white-suited agents, with a series of intricately constructed panels featuring them transforming into jet-black sky suits. Another panel takes the literal shape and form of a countdown when a bomb is activated, thanks to Sabino’s intricate design and Cabal’s attention to detail.

Rounding out the artistic team is Blee on colors. Blee manages to make each location feel unique, from the snow-white mountains of Iceland to the shining silver skyscrapers of Wakanda. But most importantly, Blee remembers to differentiate between various skin tones, especially when it comes to the Black characters in the book. He previously came under fire when coloring Marauders, as Storm was depicted with significantly lighter skin than she usually has. The very last page of the issue corrects this oversight. T’Challa himself sports a variety of outfits that have black as the primary color, from Wakandan garb to street clothes.

Black Panther #1 shifts the King of Wakanda’s focus from interstellar matters to a spy adventure, as John Ridley and Juann Cabal take over the title.

Black Panther #1 is available wherever comics are sold on November 24, 2021.


Second issue URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/black-panther-(2021)/2


I am not going to share reviews of these comics as I may do a big retrospective of Fantastic Four comics some time this year.

I adore the Fantastic Four. It is and always has been my absolute favorite Marvel comic and my favorite heroes in the Marvel-verse.

I already was getting this issue -- #038 and Legacy #683 -- from Michigan, but I snagged this variant with the Natacha Bustos cover and then quickly followed her on Instagram at 


GORGEOUS FF COVER!!




Lastly, another comic that deserves more attention from me in a special post later.

If the Fantastic Four is my favorite team, heroes, and Marvel comic, the Titans is my favorite team, heroes, and comic at DC with Nightwing being my favorite hero, all followed closely by The Legion of Super-heroes.

I had dropped Nightwing as a comic because I was not enjoying it, then I started getting it again out here In Vancouver but let it back log for about two years before I plowed through just as DC brought in this new team of Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo. Smartest, best, most gorgeous, most true to the character, most pathos (there's a dog!!), and sexiest NIGHTWING comic EVER EVER EVER.

This is the kind of comic in which I am all like "wow, I am not sure I could have done something this good."

This comic deserves its own post. Watch for it in a future COMIC BOOK SUNDAY.


ENTIRE SERIES URL:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/nightwing-(2016)


















+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2202.06 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2410 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: