Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, February 10, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2550 - Marvel's New Digital Policy is STUPID




A Sense of Doubt blog post #2550 - Marvel's New Digital Policy is STUPID

So, Marvel changed its system for redeeming digital comics with the purchase of the physical, paper issue.

As you can see below, there used to be this sticker over a code. Peel the sticker, go to the web site, input the code, and a digital version of the comic you hold in your hands is added to your cloud collection of MY COMICS in the Marvel Comics app.

Pretty painless, hassle-free, at least for the user.

Apparently, the codes and stickers caused issues and production delays with the publishing and distributing the issues.

And of course, if the comic in the store was not bagged or was removed from the bag, thieves could peel and redeem without purchasing the issue.

Marvel also allowed a year, at least, and I think originally it was two years, to redeem the codes.

I really like the system. I am a strong believer that if you buy a physical thing, you should get the digital thing with it either free or as an add-on at a low price.

I like physical books on actual paper. What if I could add on a digital copy, and then I finish the paper book, if I want to re-sell it, donate it, or gift it, I can do that and I still have the digital version to consult without loading down my shelves with books I am unlikely to re-read or need to consult.

Same with comics. And unlike books, I am not even sure where some of these comics are let alone want to take the time to hunt for them. I like having the digital copy also, especially since I have traded in recent comics for store credit because I know I have the digital versions.

BUT NOW,

Marvel changed the procedure.

Now, owners of the paper copies have to take a photo of the comic cover and upload to a web site, then Marvel sends a code that can be redeemed on the old site. It's extra steps and extra work. I do not see how it helps stop the theft of inputting codes in the comic store. How is it different to take a picture? Is there geo-locator data in photos that Marvel is checking? I doubt both that the data exists embedded in the photo AND that Marvel checks.

Wouldn't it make more sense to set up a system by which one can register a membership card that is scanned at the store before the UPC codes are scanned. Then all the codes deliver both the paper and digital copies at the time of purchase. HASSLE FREE for everyone except the comic store owners without UPC code scanners.

But then maybe that's just tough. If I a comic buyer who wants the digital versions, I am not buying from stores with UPC scanners, and if I do, I know I am giving up my digital copies unless the current system would be a back up plan. My suggestion here would require that store owners upload the UPC scans and associated member data either as they end the transaction or at the end of each business day.

Oddly, I expected a huge outcry from fans and there has been one. Here were the two news items I found (JUST TWO):

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-no-more-sticker-covered-digital-codes/



I also asked my store owners back in Michigan, and they have only heard one complaint from one customer.

MY COMMENTS TO MARVEL:

The support is great, but this new system for obtaining the free digital comic edition is absolutely ridiculous. I fail to see how this system prevents abuses anymore than the stickers. But you have made the whole thing incredibly time consuming for both of us, and I fail to see how that is a sustainable system. AND given the time consuming nature of redeeming the digital code in the new system, the shorter window of opportunity to do so is equally a TERRIBLE idea for us customers, though probably better for you at Marvel.








I will be sharing again with Marvel as they honored expired codes and have extended the redemption time to a couple of months and not a single month.

Getting my comics monthly from Michigan meant that by the time I received them the digital redemption offer had expired for some of the comics. I sent them in anyway, and Marvel honored the redeeming of the comic codes. And then I see that the newer comics have about two months to redeem the codes, which is more reasonable.

Still, the stickers and codes was a much easier system.

And I do wonder if they plan to phase out this digital redemption code thing entirely soon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2202.10 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2414 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: