Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, September 4, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2756 - Writer's Retreat Day Five: Arcata Plaza and Redwoods




A Sense of Doubt blog post #2756 - Writer's Retreat Day Five: Arcata Plaza and Redwoods

After finishing grading that I had put off too long and doing some writing, I decided to explore Arcata, which is just five miles north of Eureka.

First stop was the Redwood Park and the Arcata Community Forest.




I got a little lost because I just started walking with no map and my Smart Phone signal was a bit wonky. But I did not walk far and so it was relatively easy to retrace my steps and find my way back to my car.

Second stop was Arcata Plaza, which essentially campus town for Cal Poly Humboldt University.

Here's the Redwoods:



























BTW, redwoods are fire resistant. In part due to few to no lower trunk branches and also a spongy bark that resists flame. The fears that the wildfires will soon wipe out all the redwoods is somewhat unfounded.

So, since I was in the area, obviously, I had to photograph at least some part of the university. Many of the buildings are themed like this gateway.




Arcata Plaza now and then...








I ended the day with dinner at a Thai restaurant: Siam Orchid Thai Cuisine.

When I got there, it was jam packed, but eventually I got a table. The food was AMAZING. Some of the best Thai food I have ever had.

These are not my pictures as I did not take my pictures. But I did have the spring rolls, the pad thai (though with chicken), and a fish stew that was incredible. No wonder this place was packed. I am getting hungry just writing about it.

This was a great day. I needed some forest time and Thai food!






+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2209.04 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2619 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: