Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, January 14, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2888 - Hearty Kale, Bean, and Potato soup with Italian Sausage



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2888 - Hearty Kale, Bean, and Potato soup with Italian Sausage



Hearty Kale, Bean, and Potato Soup with Italian Sausage: Tonight's dinner. 

I do not cook often. 

If I have too much work, cooking stresses me out. I am best at cooking when I have less work or no work to do. 

I got this recipe from the New York Times. At my wife's behest, I substituted potatoes for the squash. 

This turned out very well. It's a keeper! 

PS: It has leeks. I love leeks.

Here's a link to my created document of the recipe for downloading and printing:

Hearty Kale, Squash and Bean Soup

I do not cook often, but I am proud of what I did.

The potato substitution worked very well.

I used only bean broth and vegetable stock.

Also, after cubing the potatoes, I am proud to have thought of putting the cubes in a bowl to toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil before baking. I know this may seem obvious to experienced cooks, but I am not an experienced cook.

ALSO, actually, because I am behind on my blog, this was tomorrow's dinner, Sunday January 15th not Saturday the 16th when I ate Little Caesar's pizza.

ALSO ALSO, the picture above is from the original recipe with the squash not my creation. Maybe I will add pictures of mine later.

Thanks for tuning in.

Enjoy (both reading and eating).


Hearty Kale, Squash and Bean Soup

By David Tanis

1 hour 15 minutes

 

A substantial main course soup that usually contains beans or other legumes and lots of garden vegetables, call this soup a potage, if you like. Hard squash gives the soup body. Try acorn, Kabocha or delicata squash for a change from the ubiquitous butternut. This soup reheats beautifully, gaining character in the process, so it’s an ideal dish to prepare in advance.

Featured in: This Hearty Bean Soup Gets Only Better With Time

 

 

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

  • 2 pounds winter squash, such as acorn, Hubbard or butternut, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes

  • Salt and pepper

  • Extra-virgin olive oil

  • 1 large leek, white and light green parts cut into small dice

  • 2 medium onions, cut into small dice

  • ½ pound semi-dry Spanish chorizo or smoked kielbasa, cut into thin coins

  • 3 garlic cloves, minced

  • ¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes

  • 3 cups cooked cannellini beans, from 1 pound dry or use 2 (15-ounce) cans, rinsed and drained

  • 8 cups water, bean broth or vegetable stock, plus more as needed

  • 1pound kale, mustard greens or beet greens, tough stems removed, leaves blanched briefly, squeezed dry and cut into ½-inch ribbons


PREPARATION

  1. Step 1 - Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the squash cubes on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, and coat lightly with olive oil. Roast until tender and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside.

 

  1. Step 2 - Meanwhile, in a heavy soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add leeks, salt lightly and let cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until softened but still bright green. Remove leeks and set aside to stir into soup later.

 

  1. Step 3 - Add a little more oil to the pot, then add the onions. Season with salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chorizo, garlic and red-pepper flakes, and cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked beans and 8 cups water, bean broth or vegetable stock, bring to a simmer, and cook gently for about 30 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning.

 

  1. Step 4 - Gently stir in the cooked squash, kale and reserved leeks, and cook for 10 minutes more on low heat. Add a little more broth or water if the potage seems too thick. Check seasoning and adjust as needed.

 

  1. Step 5 - To serve, ladle into bowls. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2301.14 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2752 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: