Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1967 - Always Have a Book With You, a feature article about chris tower

Me in Dawn Treader 1008.17
A Sense of Doubt blog post #1967 - Always Have a Book With You, a feature article about chris tower

In my continuing series of posts about school, here's the latest assignment.

I crafted this assignment for my English 231 creative writing students. Here's the assignment with the sample feature following:


INTRODUCE YOURSELF - CREATIVELY

Write a short introduction to yourself as if you have interviewed yourself and are writing a feature article about that person. Pay attention to your "voice" as a writer. How does your writing sound? What words do you choose? how do you express your ideas?

I plan to model this type of writing  so watch the discussion below for that post.

In your feature, lead with an identifying characteristic or set of characteristics and your response to some question from this fictional interviewer that tells us something definitive and endemic to you and your identity.

Follow this opening with basic background information about yourself (family, friends, background, heritage, education, interests, passions, music, reading, hobbies, etc), which you deliver in part as expository prose writing about the person you interviewed (which is you) and interspersing in quotations from the interview (things you said to the interviewer, who is also you). If you take care with this writing, the "voices" of interviewer and interviewee will differ distinctively.

Put as much information as you wish in this middle part about yourself. There is no length minimum but at least 200 words or so would be a good minimal goal.

There will be another assignment that asks you to share your writing experiences past, present, and future as well as interests that inform and fuel your writing, so if you wish to omit this type of content or keep it limited that's fine.

If you wish to make your little article more story like, describe the setting in which the person (you) was interviewed, descriptions of the person, and actions the person performs while being interviewed, such as making tea, smoking a cigarette, or petting a dog.

Close the introduction with a good ending. There are many ways to end well. Think of a killer ending, something strong. End with a quote from the person interviewed, end with an observation about the person, end with a lingering image from a description, or anything that gives the short introduction an ending that bangs: short, sharp, shocked.

If you like this idea, FRAME the article by returning to something shared at the beginning in the ending.

Provide AT LEAST one photo (preferably of you after some fashion) with your post much like the embedded photos I have included here. I will update this part when I have the instructions.

Have fun!!










FEATURE ARTICLE ABOUT MYSELF
by chris tower interviewing chris tower
- chris tower does not like his name in capital letters
- My sample is 2826 words
- For English 231, creative writing, Summer 2020, LCC

When you first see Chris Tower, the first thing you notice is his white hair, which makes him look much older than he seems. With his Patagonia shorts and yellow Dungeons and Dragons shirt, flashing peace signs with his fingers and saying things like “we’re going to put the FUN in FUNky,” in a light and up pitched voice that without the white hair and crows feet at the eyes could come from a thirty- or even twenty-something young man. And yet, the t-shirt is from D&D’s 1987 International Conference.

“I didn’t go to it,” he says. “I bought this shirt off eBay because I liked the design. But I could have gone to it. I was alive then, and I was an adult. And it sounds so cool that it’s International, but it was a small gaming convention in a town no one had heard of in Wisconsin – Lake Geneva – which is why they called it GenCon, which is now really famous.”

Me with Parents Turkeyville 1305.01
Explaining that he tries to run his classes like a gaming con, Chris Tower teaches for the Language and Literature department at Lower Columbia College (LCC) among other places, and he appreciates that the school does not enforce a dress code.

“I like to be comfortable. One of the great things about the Pacific Northwest is that with the mild weather, I can wear my preferred wardrobe – shorts and t-shirts – nearly year around. It’s not like this in Michigan, where I am from. Also, I like yellow. I wear my yellow t-shirts a lot in the spring.”

“It’s, um, past the solstice, June 20th, it’s officially summer,” I say not wanting to correct a teacher, especially one of writing, though Chris seems easy going and all right with being corrected.

“It really doesn’t feel like summer has started when I am sleeping under a blanket at night,” he retorts. “I’ll believe we’re in summer when we have more than two 80+ degree days in a row.”

Chris Tower prefers to be called “chris,” telling me that “Mr. Tower is my Dad.” I try, but he’s older than me, and I have always had trouble calling people older than me by their first names or without honorifics like Mister.

Chris – so far so good with the name – invited me to meet him in his “man cave,” a sheet metal garage with a cement floor and peaked roof to facilitate drainage next to his home in Woodland, Washington.

It’s filled with all the trappings of his life and youth, including an area of childhood toys, such as the Planet of the Apes Tree House and the GI Joe Secret Headquarters. Art from comic books, fantasy literature (Hildebrandt Fellowship of the Ring), and science fiction line the walls.

what the office looked like during set up
a sleestak
He only has one bank of ceiling fluorescents whitening one corner where rows of long comic book boxes are stacked three high. Otherwise, he has a multitude of lamps emitting soft glows at various wattages interspersed amongst his things, especially surrounding a desk made from a varnished wooden door sitting on stacked milk crates full of books. Rugs cover the floor, including one with a drawing from A.A. Milne’s Winnie the Pooh books. We’re sitting next to the U-shaped work area that branches out from either side of the door desk next to a coffee table piled with books, comics, and assorted toys (a sleestak, a Doctor Strange, a Robby the Robot bobblehead). It’s cozy and well- ventilated with ceiling fans that spin near rows of high set windows near the top of the long walls of the building’s rectangle. Chris has picked up some blue rubber ball that he’s cascading around his right hand, finger to finger as we talk.



Asking him about his move from Michigan seems like the natural next subject.

“We moved in 2017,” Chris says, now handling a toy replica Storm Trooper rifle with collapsing stock from the original Star Wars, “and I had to leave most of this stuff in my Dad’s basement in Michigan. I only recently moved it here after my wife and I bought this place with this building that the previous tenant used as a workshop. Luckily, he was a wood worker and not an auto mechanic, so the floor is not covered with oil stains. He even painted the floor with sealant in a rich, dark burgundy I really like.”

Chris explains that he lived in Michigan all of his life except for a short time when doing a college internship in New York City. He was born in Midland, the home of Dow Chemical; moved to Traverse City, which is on Lake Michigan, at the age of three, a popular vacation spot in the state; and then to just outside Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he lived with his parents for most of his life until he met his wife in 2008, though technically in 1990.

Again, I had to ask him how that worked, how he met his wife technically 18 years before he said he met her.
“Liesel was my friend John’s girlfriend when I was in grad school. He introduced me to her at a poetry reading thing that I used to host but had been replaced as host by my ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend. I was there to read a story inspired by our break-up that caused her to flee the room when I read it.

“But just as memorable as my revenge on my ex was meeting John’s girlfriend. I was struck by how beautiful Liesel was. She’s Hawaiian, and so I was envious. Why couldn’t I have a hot Hawaiian girlfriend? Did she have a sister? I remember that she hugged me, and I could feel this intense exchange of energy. I never forgot it and would wonder what happened to her from time to time after John and I lost touch.”

Chris continues to describe their re-meeting 18 years later in a natural food store in Kalamazoo. In the intervening years, Liesel had married someone else, had two kids, got divorced, and now was dating Chris’ friend John again!

“When she told me that she and John were dating my heart sank. I couldn’t believe it. And yet, I could sense something. I had the feeling that she really liked me,” he says, smiling like a cat that has just eaten the goldfish and is trying not to laugh.

A month later, after breaking up with John, Chris and Liesel had their first date, two months later they decided to get married, and ten months after re-meeting, almost to the day, they were married. John played drums in their wedding, and they both count him as a close friend to this day.

“It was Liesel’s idea to move here. She’s Hawaiian, so we were either moving here, where her mother lived until she died, or Hawaii. She chose here because it’s typically less sunny and cooler than Hawaii. She’s not so much a sun-bunny, beach-girl anymore. Her last vacation was in Iceland,” at which point Chris shoves his phone at me and shows a series of photos of a strikingly gorgeous woman with dark hair and dark eyes and light brownish skin. In one photo, she’s in front of an all-black church surrounded by the lowland hills of Iceland.

Chris goes on to explain that his wife’s interest in northern climes attests to her attraction to him.
“I am Scottish because if it’s not Scottish, it’s crap,” he bellows in a thick Scottish brogue that’s actually not bad for an American imitating a Scot. He shares that the line comes from an old SNL skit when Patrick Stewart hosted.

“I am actually a lot of things mixed together, but there’s Scotch on both sides, so I just go with it.”
Speaking of scotch, he offers me some, but it’s early in the day for alcohol as he wanted us to meet at 11 a.m. He doesn’t have any either. Though he does explain that scotch only comes from Scotland. Whiskey can be distilled elsewhere, but it’s not scotch whisky (note the spelling) unless it comes from Scotland, at which point he repeats the “if it’s not Scottish, it’s crap” line.

And then Chris gets to business and explains more of his history. His father is an architect, and his mother a home-maker. He has one sister, who is married, and living in his Dad’s condo, where his stuff used to be until he moved it out west.
Mom walking 2012
“I just observed the fifth anniversary of my mother’s death on July 4th, 2020,” he says, the pitch of his voice dropping at least one full octave.

At which point, he launches into an explanation of his mother’s near death experience and coma from bacterial meningitis that she contracted in March of 2000 and lived with the after effects of for the next fifteen until her death in 2015.

“They said she would never walk again, but she did, though not well enough or strong enough that she could get up and get herself to the bathroom. She spent the rest of her life with a catheter,” Chris says quietly, tears brimming at the bottoms of his eyes. “It’s one of my proudest accomplishments that I lived with my parents until I got married and helped my Dad take care of my mother. After all my parents gave me, I was glad to give a little back. That’s what families should do, care for each other.”

Ultimate - 2010
Providing much too much to transcribe or feature, even though I recorded it, Chris and I spend the next hour talking about everything he likes best: David Bowie, and how much Bowie’s death the year after his mom’s rocked him; other favorite music from bands I had never heard of like Cocteau Twins, the Jam, Sigur Ros, Anonymous Four, and King Crimson; the best places to get sushi in Portland; favorite comic book creators, like Warren Ellis, Jack Kirby, Gene Colan, and even much maligned yet popular Brian Michael Bendis; Ultimate, which is usually known as Ultimate Frisbee, except that Frisbee is a name for a toy trademarked by Whammo, a sport Chris still plays at his advanced age, though he claims to only hobble about the field in an action distantly resembling running, reminding me that Ultimate is not the same as Frisbee Golf; an explanation of what is a sleestak, from a Sid and Marty Croft TV show from the 1970s called Land of the Lost; what he’s currently reading with his eyes and listening to as an audio book; various writing projects, including a cyberpunk, sword and sorcery epic fantasy series; why he calls himself a feminist, even though humanist may be more accurate; and many other things. The conversations swings to the hilarious at times  with pop culture references – “this one goes to 11" – and serious matters, like when he explains how protective he gets toward his family, including his dogs Satchel Paige and Ellory Queen, whom I met and was thoroughly sniffed out when I arrived for the interview.
me post Ulitmate tournament - 1708.19 -
https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2017/08/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-774.html

Chris also describes his work as a professional writer for over 30 years, starting when he wrote a weekly newspaper column about magic and magicians in the late 1970s. Chris has a BA in English and Theatre from Kalamazoo College and earned a master’s degree in literature and a Master’s of Fine Arts in creative writing from Western Michigan University. He has written and published widely in various genres, including business writing, research writing, mass market nonfiction, magazine and newspaper journalism, fiction, drama, and poetry. He writes a daily blog called “Sense of Doubt” via Google’s Blogger.

“I started blogging in 2007 when I wanted to be an Internet content provider, monetize the sites, and make some money while attracting business for my freelance writing career,” he says with a smirk. “That lasted for one entry, which is housed on a separate blog called “Randition Swoom,” made from interesting typos that occurred in correspondence with my best friend the Lord of Chaos,” Chris says, explaining the name that has a long story that’s too much as I am trying to wind this feature to a close.


“After just the one on “Randition Swoom,” I switched to what is my main blog still today. I wrote maybe a dozen blog entries on “SENSE OF DOUBT,” named for a song by David Bowie, from 2007 to 2013, when I had an idea for another blog. I was cleaning stuff out of my parents’ house, and I noticed that I had so many t-shirts, way more than I thought I had. I wondered if I could count them by featuring one a day on a blog and writing about the significance of the t-shirt. If I did that for a year would I get to 365 or would I have more than 365 shirts? I discarded the idea because I thought it was the height of social media narcissism and that no one would want to read it.

“And then I found out I had prostate cancer. A week later, in my favorite local comic shop in Kalamazoo, a t-shirt I had ordered came in featuring a comic book cover from the 1970s called Son of Satan, about Damion Hellstrom, literally the son of the ruler of Hell. And I decided, “fuck it. I have cancer. Who cares what people think. I am going to write the blog.” Though I bought a few t-shirts along the way, I did not get through them all, proving I owned more than 365; however, I proved something to myself and a few loyal readers. I made a unique and original post every day for a year.

“After the t-shirts year, I stopped the daily broadcast, switched back to “SENSE OF DOUBT,” and tried to blog weekly, but life kept getting in the way. When my Mom died, it did not take me a week to decide. Two days later, I started daily broadcasts with a feature I called “Hey Mom,” continuing conversations with my mother. Though I also did daily Bowie posts for about 80 days in 2016, I kept up the daily Hey Mom posts for three years. I like the exercise and practice of a daily blog so much that I have kept it going for the last two years, while still making the occasional Hey Mom post. My current count is approaching 2000 posts,” Chris says, leaning back in his reclining office chair and putting his hands behind his head. When he asked, he told me that he may never stop the daily posts.

“It’s part of me now,” he says. “It’s part of my identity. I am a writer. I have always identified as a writer first and foremost among all my labels and identifying characteristics. It’s always the thing I have wanted to do more than anything else. So even though I am still trying to publish my first novel, I am going to stay active on the Internet and post a blog entry every single day of the year without breaks.”

As I am getting ready to leave and have turned off the recorder, Chris hands me a piece of paper with the following written on it:

RULES OF CHRIS
- The golden rule
- Always have a book
- Be comfortable (shorts and t-shirts)
- Be myself because being someone else is already taken
- Be active: includes writing daily
- Embrace Uncertainty - SENSE OF DOUBT
- Question Everything
- Find Joy; Give Joy

“I am still working on my rules for living my life, which I call the Rules of Chris, and have not yet written about them on my blog, except in passing. Originally, I just had the first two. The Golden Rule – “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” – was the biggest principle my mother instilled in me. I have been expanding the list and wrote this latest list just for this interview,” he says.



What’s his best advice?

“I always have a book with me. It’s better than a phone (unless you’re reading a book on your phone), and it helps fill the time if you have to wait for someone. And given how people are, you are going to find yourself waiting for someone quite often.”

We’re not waiting for Chris Tower to show up, though. He’s here, and he’ll talk your ear off if you let him. He shares what he’s doing, what he cares about, and what he’s thinking about every day at

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/.

More self introduction stuff at

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1286 - A self-Introduction - For my students

and

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1419 - TEN THINGS I LIKE- for school - a self introduction pt.2



Ellory and Satchel

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2007.07 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1831 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: