Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1419 - TEN THINGS I LIKE- for school - a self introduction pt.2

SUSHI from my birthday dinner 1702. 28 via Liesel
A Sense of Doubt blog post #1419 - TEN THINGS I LIKE - for school - a self introduction pt.2

I am asking my students to list ten things that they like as part of their self introductions for LCC English 101 class.

I want them to to add the list to their self introduction blogs,  and so I sharing this one as a sample and  a companion to my self introduction blog, from here:

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2018/08/a-sense-of-doubt-blog-post-1286-self.html

I want to encourage them to have variety, like I think mine has.

I made this list very quickly, first impressions, off the top of my head.

Because of this some obvious things like David Bowie, Baseball, and scotch did not make the list. But that's okay; it's spontaneous.

After the list, I have photos and previous blog content if I have written about the thing (or shared anything at all).

MY TEN THINGS THAT I LIKE LIST

1. Mad Magazine

2. sushi

3. Ultimate

4. Pink Floyd's Animals

5. Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

6. The Legion of Superheroes comic books

7. Programming in Python

8. UFOs, Intelligent life on other worlds, and assorted conspiracy theories

9. Jungian Psychology

10. Winnie the Pooh and the Tao of Pooh and Tao te Ching and Gnosticism and it's ALL CONNECTED!!!



1. Mad Magazine
https://365-tshirts.blogspot.com/2013/06/t-shirt92-mad-magazine.html

The link explains some of why I love Mad Magazine. "What me worry?"
We need more wild satire, mockery, and ripe parody in our world.
Given what's going on in America politically, it's much better to laugh all the time than to be outraged all the time.


2. sushi

I pretty much love everything edible that comes out of the water. I pretty much have a bottom-less stomach for sushi, but trying to eat this entire boat myself, one time, I found a bottom.

Sushi Dinner 1702.28

sushi dinner 1704.02 by Liesel (1)

sushi dinner 1704.02 by Liesel (2)

3. Ultimate

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2017/08/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-774.html

One of the greatest joys of my life has been playing Ultimate for the last 30+ years.

I am sort of amazed that I am still playing, though I am not sure if the hobbling around on the field that I do really constitutes the playing I did in my youth, which was still never as good as that of the top flight players in the game.

I am not nor could I ever be a serious athlete.

But one thing I learned when I started playing out west is that I have some skills, if only the ability to make personal connections with people, which is why I would be good on the Survivor TV show.

In the picture on the left, I have just finished playing the last KUDL (Kalamazoo Ultimate Disc League) summer tournament while still a resident of Michigan in 2017.

I tried to return and play in 2018, but it didn't work out.

I play pick up in Vancouver and in the Portland league. Having fun!



4. Pink Floyd's Animals



Some may argue that Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall are better as works of art, but I would debate that stridently and strenuously. Thematically, this album is the band's tightest work and best concept. I find it's the one that has endured. I have listened to this album more than any others and it sits in my top ten most listened to albums.

relevant content:


and the list of albums:

Favorite album list:

https://365-tshirts.blogspot.com/2013/06/t-shirt-97-kraftwerk.html


5. Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

some content:
https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2018/03/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-996.html

I should have been reading another book for school. Instead I picked up The Handmaid's Tale, and I LITERALLY could not put it down. I read and read until I was done. I think I took a break to sleep.

One of my favorite books EVER by my favorite living writer, genre selections excluded.



6. The Legion of Superheroes comic books
https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2017/07/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-731-legion.html

I just wrote about why family is the core value of my life and so why the comics I love best are those that embody the concept of the family. One of my favorite superhero families is the Legion of Superheroes.

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-sense-of-doubt-blog-post-1391-its.html

A futuristic club of super-powered teenagers from different planets?

Um..... sign me up, please!!




7. Programming in Python

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2018/09/a-sense-of-doubt-blog-post-1308.html

Any programming language named for Monty Python has my heart at "P." It's just a fun language. Simplified and with less overhead nonsense from other languages. Sure, some trade offs (duck typing), but versatile and works well with data.

I do a lot with Python. It's my favorite, but C is a close second despite its strictness and difficulty-level.



8. UFOs, Intelligent life on other worlds, and assorted conspiracy theories


I don't think I have written enough about my affection for books about UFOs or conspiracy theories.

There's a great You Tube channel for some of the content. See one video below.


https://365-tshirts.blogspot.com/2013/06/t-shirt-87-aliens-zombies-robots.html



They're here...

Me teaching Jungian thought and Winnie the pooh


9. Jungian Psychology

I am a huge Jungian. Big fan.

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2019/05/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-1168-sod.html

It may have its flaws, but it makes a lot of sense to me, especially for and mainly because of THE COLLECTIVE UNCONSCIOUS.

and Hero's journey. Dang.

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-sense-of-doubt-blog-post-1576-heros.html

PS: since I am editing this on 1908.29, I am able to add links, like the two above, posted AFTER, the original publication date of this blog entry. I could re-publish this entry, but why? Better to keep with it, updating it.

10. Winnie the Pooh and the Tao of Pooh and Tao te Ching and Gnosticism and it's ALL CONNECTED!!!

What I want to share about these topics is fairly well explored at the link. What I love best about learning and the ideologies of people like Jung is that they adapt and absorb many of the ideologies that have come before. "Know thyself," a central tenet of Gnosticism, which underlies most if not all world religions and philosophies. Pooh is very Jungian and Taoist.



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1901.09 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1285 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: