Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, January 14, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1424 - Reparations and Redemption - a Musical Monday Mix for 1901.14


A Sense of Doubt blog post #1424 -  Reparations and Redemption - a Musical Monday Mix for 1901.14

This mix evolved from two tracks and an artist that I wanted to feature.

I love Bob Marley's "Redemption song."

"EMANCIPATE YOURSELF FROM MENTAL SLAVERY."

IMHO, "Redemption song" is one of the greatest songs ever written, not just reggae songs. Any songs.

So, the mix started with "Redemption song." Then I wanted to include "Kings" by Arrested Development because I am going to use it in class tomorrow, Tuesday, 1901.15. Speech does a great bit at the end about Tarzan, the false narrative, history, and black people. I cannot find a transcript of this passage, so I am going to have to transcribe it myself, but I do not have time to do that now. I will probably creating a blog post just for that transcription but may add it back here.

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you don't know."

"All history is a current event."

RACE DOES NOT EXIST

Remember, race does not really exist. There are not really "different" races speaking genetically and zoologically on our planet. We're one race. The human race. "Race" as a sociological concept was invented by racists to rationalize racism.

What We Mean When We Say 'Race Is a Social Construct'

Race Is a Social Construct, Scientists Argue
Racial categories are weak proxies for genetic diversity and need to be phased out 




Next, I wanted to feature Kendrick Lamar.

Kendrick Lamar Wiki

Several students have recommended Lamar to me in recent years, and he hit my radar when he won the Pulitzer and when he composed, produced, and assembled the soundtrack to the movie Black Panther. I shared about this music previously, here:

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #953 - Black Panther soundtrack and trailer

And that link (above) contains many other links for my writing on the Black Panther character and the movie Black Panther.

Image result for reparations for slaves
https://www.debate.org/opinions/should-the-u-s-pay-reparations-for-slavery
But I will be honest. I am not deep into Kendrick Lamar. I do not know his music well. What I have heard I like, but I do not listen much. In fact, I am not listening to hip hop all the time. I love hip hop, but sometimes, I am not in the mood to listen to it, or it's too distracting.

Lastly, some content for my class.

I wanted to write about reparations for slavery because Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote an article about it for the Atlantic, and I am teaching his book Between the World and Me in class right now and encouraging students to read "The Case for Reparations" and write about it for extra credit.

I may cycle back to this subject and write more, as I just found this excellent blog entry that reacts to Coates' article and writes about the atrocity of slavery worldwide, but especially in America, which is subject matter I confronted in my recent reading of A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Reparations for Slavery?

from Those Who Can See - a blog about how human biodiversity meets humane, sensible public policy
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/tnyradiohour/segments/who-should-receive-reparations-slavery-and-discrimination







And so, I also wanted to collect some of my content on race and racism, especially as relates to subject matter in Between the World and Me and music created by black people, such as the shootings of innocent, unarmed black men:

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #371 - I am not afraid of the police; but maybe you should be

The debt not paid just for the pioneering creations of African-Americans for our modern music:

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1390 - A Debt Not Paid - Appropriation and the Co-Opting of Modern Music

And more about one of the best hip hop bands of all time:

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1340 - WMFW - United Minds - United Front - Musical Mix for Monday 1810.15

This is just here because it may be relevant: Mass shootings in the United States wiki

And so, then, the music evolved.
Starting with the goal of sharing Kendrick Lamar, some more Arrested Development (beyond what I already had shared in #1340 linked above), and some great reggae, the mix evolved into 57 songs (a significant number for me this coming Saturday January 19th)  adding many great hip hop songs, Motown songs, and a few other songs You Tube suggested, such as Dylan, Lana Del Rey, and Sia, well, and of course "Biko" by Peter Gabriel because it fit with "Tyler" by UB40.

I think it all turned out pretty great.

Though there are 57 songs, by no means do I think this is a definitive list of anything. It's not the greatest listy of hip hop songs, reggae, Motown, or even the best songs of oppression, racism, and history. The mix is what it is. It is how it came together. That's all.

I have included the track list later in the blog, and three single videos: "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley, "Kings" by Arrested Development, and "Humble" by Kendrick Lamar. Farther down, there's the video player to the entire mix on You Tube and the title atop the track list is the hot link to the mix as well.

https://www.stupidpartyland.com/1/post/2015/07/historical-revisionism-republican-civil-war-delusions.html

And now just an insertion of content for class, but it's related. Of course.




GWENDOLYN BROOKS

Gwendolyn Brooks was born in Topeka, Kansas, on June 7, 1917, and raised in Chicago. She was the author of more than twenty books of poetry, including Children Coming Home (The David Co., 1991); Blacks (The David Co., 1987); To Disembark (Third World Press, 1981); The Near-Johannesburg Boy and Other Poems (The David Co., 1986); Riot (Broadside Press, 1969); In the Mecca (Harper & Row, 1968); The Bean Eaters (Harper, 1960); Annie Allen (Harper, 1949), for which she received the Pulitzer Prize; and A Street in Bronzeville (Harper & Brothers, 1945).
She also wrote numerous other books including a novel, Maud Martha (Harper, 1953), and Report from Part One: An Autobiography (Broadside Press, 1972), and edited Jump Bad: A New Chicago Anthology (Broadside Press, 1971).
In 1968 she was named poet laureate for the state of Illinois. In 1985, she was the first black woman appointed as consultant in poetry to the Library of Congress, a post now known as Poet Laureate. She also received an American Academy of Arts and Letters Award, the Frost Medal, a National Endowment for the Arts Award, the Shelley Memorial Award, and fellowships from the Academy of American Poets and the Guggenheim Foundation. She lived in Chicago until her death on December 3, 2000.
_________________________________________________________________________________

We Real Cool


                   THE POOL PLAYERS. 
                   SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL.



We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.




https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reparations-black-americans-slavery_us_56c4dfa9e4b08ffac1276bd7











I didn't look at these links to make this mix, but I might in the future.

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Hip Hop Songs

Billboard's 20 best hip hop songs of 2018

Ta-Nehisi mentions playing Ghostface Killah songs in Between the World and Me when he and his son were "bachelors" while his wife was away on a trip.

Ghostface Killah songs

Wow, this is a cool site.... HIP HOP GOLDEN AGE

29 Essential 1980s Hip Hop Songs






Reparations and Redemption - a Musical Monday Mix for 1901.14

Bob Marley - Redemption Song (from the legend album, with lyrics)
Arrested Development - Kings
UB40 - Tyler
Peter Gabriel - Biko
Public Enemy - He Got Game
Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.
Fugees - Killing Me Softly (with lyrics)
Erykah Badu: "Tyrone" (North Sea Jazz 2001)
OutKast - Rosa Parks
Bob Marley & The Wailers | Exodus (1977) - "One Love/People Get Ready"
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Public Enemy - Fight The Power (Full Version)
The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
BOB MARLEY - JAMMING (Live)
Lauryn Hill - Everything Is Everything
The Roots - It Ain’t Fair (feat. Bilal) (From The "Detroit" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack/Audio)
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tracks Of My Tears
A Tribe Called Quest - We The People....
Lauryn Hill - To Zion
Future - Low Life (Official Music Video) ft. The Weeknd
Sia - The Greatest (Official Music Video)
Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice It's All Right
Massive Attack feat. Mos Def - I Against I
Arrested Development - Trauma
Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta
DJ Shadow - Nobody Speak feat. Run The Jewels (Official Video)
Kendrick Lamar - DNA.
Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
Ghostface Killah feat. Raekwon - Apollo Kids
Jackson Five/Ghostface Killah Feat:Tekitha - Maybe Tomorrow/All I Got Is You 1971/1996
Mos Def - Mathematics
Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future, James Blake - King's Dead (Official Music Video)
Run The Jewels - Legend Has It (Official Music Video From RTJ3 & Black Panther)
Kendrick Lamar - Black Panther
Mos Def - History ft. Talib Kweli
Dizzee Rascal - Wot U Gonna Do?
Solange - Cranes in the Sky (Official Music Video)
Beyoncé - Formation
Mos Def: Hip Hop - Black On Both Sides
The Roots - You Got Me ft. Erykah Badu
John Legend, The Roots - Wake Up Everybody (Video) ft. Melanie Fiona, Common
Marvin gaye&Tammi terrell - Aint Nothing Like The Real Thing
Martha & The Vandellas "Dancing in the Streets"
The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)
Drake - One Dance ft. Kyla & Wizkid (Official video)
UB40 - Kingston Town
Damian Marley- Patience
Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Bob Marley & The Wailers | Talkin' Blues (1991)- "I Shot The Sheriff"
Public Enemy - Rebel Without A Pause
Public Enemy - Don't Believe The Hype
The Velvelettes - Needle In A Haystack
Alice Coltrane - Turiya And Ramakrishna
Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out
Etta James - I'd Rather Be Blind (Live at Montreux 1975)
Aretha Franklin (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Kennedy Center Honors 2015
Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer - Redemption Song

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1901.14 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1290 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t1140595/



No comments: