Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2752 - Writer's Retreat Day One: To Eureka



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2752 - Writer's Retreat Day One: To Eureka


So, I decided to rent a car and drive to Eureka, CA.

Why?

Flights were almost $700, would route me through a long layover in San Francisco, and then I would still rent a car for a week.

Train trip takes 26+ hours.

And it's only about eight-nine hours and 450 miles.

Why rent? Don't I own a car?

Sure. I love my 2001 Subaru Outback that has 200,000+ miles on it. I am sure it would make it and back, but why risk a problem and put over 1000 more miles on it than I need to?

Car rental is about the same cost as the plane tickets, so it seemed to make sense. Plus I got a car with California plates (a Hyundai), so I fit in. :-)

How amazing was it that when I finally stopped to use to rest room, full up the tank, and get lunch that right off the exit there was an old style drive in with fantastic food that had been there since 1970? Talk about serendipity!!

The drive was not bad. I had wanted to leave at 8 a.m. and didn't leave until 10 a.m.

It was pretty easy going all the way. I listened to my audio book and talked on the phone some.

I didn't stop much. My longest stop was for lunch about forty minutes at 13:00, which I know because Google tracks this stuff.

I stopped again at a rest area just over the California border after going through an agricultural check station where I was let through after I answered that no, I did not have any produce. I walked around a little and got back in the car.

I stopped again to take the beach-ocean pictures below, which I think were around Crescent City. I did not take pictures driving through the redwoods though I will on the way back.

I arrived in Eureka about 18:30 and at the air bnb by 19:00 ish.

More on my lodgings tomorrow.

Working and writing...

THE TRIP DETAILS

8 hr 3 min (449 miles)
via I-5 S
Fastest route now due to traffic conditions
441 S 3rd Pl
Kalama, WA 98625

Get on I-5 S from S 1st St
2 min (0.8 mi)

Follow I-5 S to OR-99 S/NW 6th St in Grants Pass. Take exit 58 from I-5 S
4 hr 26 min (280 mi)

Follow US-199 S and US-101 S to Cottage St in Eureka
3 hr 29 min (168 mi)
3335 Cottage St
Eureka, CA 95503












ABOVE: K&R Drive-In, Oakland, OR (1:10 PM - 1:37 PM)


Northern California Coast: I believe this is near Crescent City.




Celebrated my arrival in Eureka with sake and sushi!




Spicy Tuna roll and Dungeoness Crab roll


Bayfront Restaurant




Good night!



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2208.31 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2616 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: