Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, July 10, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3065 - The Time Issue - Time Management by Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, and More - Music Monday for July 10, 2023


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3065 - The Time Issue - Time Management by Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, and More - Music Monday for July 10, 2023

This is a partial reprint of a previous post that I often use in my classes to discuss Time Management. I don't know why I felt I should capitalize that word.

I always tell my students, mostly in English 102, the research paper writing class, about the proportional relationship between time and anxiety. The more time one has to complete something, the less the anxiety. As the deadline approaches and the time to completion dwindles, anxiety begins to sky-rocket. 

We will spend out whole lives trying improve our personal skill in time management, and with the possible exception of a few weird pod people, we will never perfect our management schemes.

I am much better than I used to be. I have tracked how I spend my time looking for ways to improve. I use a variety of to-do lists and calendars to keep myself on track, and still I forget things or mismanage my use of time. How can I not? Unlike the pod people, sometimes I just do not feel like doing a thing, and if the thing does not have to be done that day, that minute, and can be postponed, often I will delay.

That said, I think I have improved my time management skills, especially my ability to prioritize as well as delay something that does not need to be done immediately to manage work load and not over-work or not over-work too much. 

I am still struggling to make time for everything, especially writing fiction.

My anxiety about getting work done propels me to work first and put off self-care. I am getting better at knowing what work I can get done in a day and taking time early in the day for something like writing, at least days when I don't have to teach first thing, which right now are four of the seven days in the week.

I am also better at managing the time I spend on this blog, getting ahead on it, and leaving it for the evening rather than wasting prime writing time in the morning with something that can wait.

I said getting better not getting it all done the way I want, but I do feel that life is in better balance than it has been.

By telling my tales of time management, I hope to at least encourage others to think of their own time management issues.

- Prioritize
- Look for ways you waste time
- Analyze how long it takes to do things and plan ahead
- Don't overwork; save time for selfcare
- Continually re-assess: you never have it all figured out

I think about time a lot.

That's some of what I have learned. And as I think, I like to have music.

And so, this revised blog post that contains songs about time to remind us all of the importance of one of the most valuable natural resources in existence: time.

Just remember: "hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way..." ~ Pink Floyd "Time" from The Dark Side of the Moon album released on March First, 1973.

I have now made a mix for time songs plus a few extras to round it out at 23 songs.

I raided the article below for ideas and posted many of those songs directly to this blog for those who want to select specific songs.


So, this is Music Monday for July 10, 2023.


Thanks for tuning in.

My workspace with Satchel in surgery recovery in her cone:



My weekly to-do list grid:








By Liam Flynn
Last Updated On: August 29, 2022





Chris Tower - my TIME mix


[1] Time - Pink Floyd
[2] Time - Tom Waits 
[3] Time (2013 Remaster) - David Bowie
[4] Time Stand Still - Rush
[5] Time Is On My Side - The Rolling Stones 
[6] "Time Passages" - AL STEWART 
[7] Time (Official Audio) - The Alan Parsons Project
[8] Time After Time (Official HD Video) - Cyndi Lauper
[9] Time in a bottle - 1973 - Jim Croce 
[10] Time Song (Official Lyric Video) - The Kinks
[11] Too Much Time On My Hands - STYX
[12] Who Knows Where The Time Goes? - Fairport Convention
[13] Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? (Official Audio) - Chicago Band
[14] If I Could Turn Back Time (Official Video) - Cher
[15] Time (Clock Of The Heart) - Culture Club
[16] Reeling in the Years (live) - STEELY DAN
[17] (I've Had) The Time Of My Life (Official HD Video) - Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes 
[18] Back In Time - hueylewisofficial
[19] Time Is Running Out (video) - Muse
[20] L'Addio (Official Music Video) - Kit Sebastian
[21] Time Has Come Today (Audio) - The Chambers Brothers
[22] Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
[23] IN THE AIR TONIGHT - PHIL COLLINS (PURE-VOICES REMIX)


Friday, January 29, 2021




A Sense of Doubt blog post #2173 - The Time Issue - Time Management by Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, and David Bowie

Short post that I use in classes on time management.

SUBJECT: THE TIME ISSUE (a la Pink Floyd)

This issue of time management came up last week in the “strange nature discussion” item, and I had additional remarks. Feel free to comment, question, extend. This item is somewhat for fun (hence the video) not strictly academic...

I understand the time issue. This is a frequent discussion we have as I am accused of expecting too much with my vague "do extra." So I get it. Given that I am in school myself plus working more than full time, I struggle as the rest of you do to balance work, family, and school. 

Did I share my favorite time management web site?

https://appliedcomputing.wisconsin.edu/current-students/student-services/time-management-calculator/

and I wanted to share to share it with all of you. Give it a try. It’s a time calculator that uses a pie chart to divided up the time you spend on things throughout your day, so you can see where all of your time goes. I was amazed at how quickly it filled up and left me with limited free time and limited time for sleep.

That link above may be dead, these should work:

https://uwex.wisconsin.edu/online-learning/time-management-calculator/

https://www.asundergrad.pitt.edu/study-lab/time-management-calculator


Here’s my time management results:


So I have some free time if I wanted to do school again. I left out some things, too, such as meetings or writing time.

Also, I wanted to chime in on the subject of to-do lists. I have been trying to change myself from an unorganized and procrastinating person for years. I tried to adopt my friend’s method of making lists and actually doing the things on the list. But I would lose the lists, or I would decide to do some things with my time that I had not written on the list.


Then, this other friend of mine told me that she makes a to-do list every morning of the things she has to do that day. So I decided to give this a try. I found it immensely helpful. It focuses me on what tasks I have to do, and I get an endorphin rush each time I cross off a thing. In fact, to make more things that I can cross off, I have broken up tasks into parts, so a task, like grading, that used to be a single item on the list can now be as many as five items as I list all the steps in my grading process. Also, if I have a big task to do, I will set a reachable goal for the day, like with your papers here at Park. I have a note to grade five of those today. If I do so many a day, I have fewer to do on Sunday.

                                
Sometimes I use the same list for two days. I am not as regimented as I could be. But the list is REALLY helpful and keeps me on task. In fact, soon, with these messages, I can cross off my “Daily PARK” item. Ah, endorphins....

"An open mind is a curious mind ready to learn!"
your friend in learning!
peace, chris tower
“Always look on the bright side”
https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/

 After asking my students to log their time spent for a week, I did it, too. Here's some of my logs:



And here's one of my standard weekly to-do lists:



AND NOW SOME SONGS ABOUT TIME


"Time" - Pink Floyd

PINK FLOYD

Tom Waits - Time


Tom Waits-Time, from the 1985 album 'Rain Dogs'. Backing video taken from a live performance on the 1988 film 'Big Time'.


Time (2013 Remaster)



David Bowie

Provided to YouTube by Parlophone UK
Time (2013 Remaster) · David Bowie
Aladdin Sane
℗ 1973, 2013 Jones/Tintoretto Entertainment Company LLC under exclusive licence to Parlophone Records Ltd, a Warner Music Group Company
Guitar, Programmer, Saxophone, Vocals: David Bowie
Producer: David Bowie
Flute: Ken Fordham
Engineer, Producer: Ken Scott
Guitar, Vocals: Mick Ronson
Piano: Mike Garson
Engineer: Mike Moran
Remastering Engineer: Ray Staff
Bass: Trevor Bolder
Drums: Woody Woodmansey
Writer: David Bowie


RUSH - "TIME STAND STILL"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2101.29 - 10:10
- Days ago = 2037 days ago
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++





lamiretele3
May 5, 2022
Séquence diffusée le 8 juin 1983 sur Antenne 2 dans l'émission "Platine 45"






Zacky Dog
Sep 27, 2014
The ultimate version. ;)
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN THIS SHOW NOR DO I CLAIM IT'S MINE IN ANY FORM. ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS, NOT ME! I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SHOW IN ANY WAY. This video is uploaded for people who cannot find this excerpt/clip anywhere, for non-profit, educational use, and entertainment purposes only and to bring back old memories.




31323Alex
Mar 18, 2012
"Time Passages" by Al Stewart is from the album "Al Stewart: Greatest Hits".
Released 2004





The Alan Parsons Project






Cyndi Lauper





Guy Van Nimmen
Jan 19, 2011
James Joseph "Jim" Croce (January 10, 1943 -- September 20, 1973) was an American singer-songwriter.






The Kinks
Aug 15, 2018
Previously Unreleased track ‘Time Song’ available here: https://thekinks.lnk.to/VG50ID
Available as part of 50th Anniversary The Kinks Are The Village Preservation Society: https://thekinks.lnk.to/VG50ID
 
Visit the Official Store for limited edition formats & offers: https://thekinks.lnk.to/VG50ID

Included in The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society 50th Anniversary Editions are many previously unreleased tracks and versions, including this previously unreleased track ‘Time Song’.
Despite never been included on a release, ‘Time Song’ was performed by The Kinks at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in January 1973, celebrating Britain’s entry into the Common Market.
 
‘When we played a concert at Drury Lane in 73’ to celebrate us about to join what was called The Common Market, I decided to use the song as a warning that time was running out for the old British Empire.’ Says Ray. ‘This song was recorded a few weeks later but never made the final cut on the Preservation Act I album. Oddly enough, the song seems quite poignant and appropriate to release at this time in British history, and like Europe itself the track is a rough mix which still has to be Finessed.’
 
Ray Davies mixed the track earlier this year and it is included on the new VGPS Deluxe Box Set and Deluxe 2CD. The single version will also be available as a limited edition 7” single exclusively with pre-orders of the box set via The Kinks Music Glue official store, and as a digital download / streaming single.
 
Follow The Kinks:






STYX




Fairport Convention - Topic
July 24, 2018
Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group

Who Knows Where The Time Goes? · Fairport Convention

Unhalfbricking

℗ 1969 Island Records, a division of Universal Music Operations Limited

Released on: 1969-07-03

Associated  Performer, Vocals: Sandy Denny
Associated  Performer, Guitar, Background  Vocalist: Richard Thompson
Associated  Performer, Guitar, Background  Vocalist, Producer: Simon Nicol
Associated  Performer, Bass  Guitar, Background  Vocalist: Ashley Hutchings
Associated  Performer, Drums: Martin Lamble
Producer: Joe Boyd
Producer: Fairport Convention
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: John Wood
Composer  Lyricist: Sandy Denny






Chicago Band
Jun 6, 2019
Official audio for Chicago - "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" from 'Chicago Transit Authority' (1969)

Stay In Touch with Chicago…





Cher
Premiered Feb 18, 2022  #Cher #Remastered
'If I Could Turn Back Time' is the lead single from Cher's nineteenth studio album 'Heart of Stone' released in 1989. The official video has been restored in HD quality.

Follow Cher:




Culture Club
Jun 2, 2009
Listen to more from Culture Club: http://cultureclub.lnk.to/Essentials

Music video by Culture Club performing Time (Clock Of The Heart) (2004 Digital Remaster).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2307.10 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2929 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: