Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, March 15, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3314 - The Dangerous Philosophy of Ursula K. LeGuin



A Sense of Doubt blog post #3314 - The Dangerous Philosophy of Ursula K. LeGuin

One of my heroes: LeGuin.

Really in the hammertime of final grading.

Just this share today.

Thanks for tuning in.


https://damiengwalter.medium.com/the-dangerous-philosophy-of-ursula-le-guin-a7b4f382898a

The dangerous philosophy of Ursula Le Guin

When wise people really want to influence the world, they tell stories

Damien Walter
2 min read
Sep 16, 2023


The “canon” of philosophy really is an old boys club. Literally.

There are reasons of course. Millenia of oppressive patriarchy among them.

But I like the reasoning of Clarissa Pinkola Estes that women pass wisdom forward, not as a bunch of dry propositions, but as stories.

You can take every philosopher from Socrates to Schopenhauer, add every word written by Nietzsche, Wittgenstein and Habermas. Less than 1% of people have a clue what any of them are on about.

Philosophy is futile. But a good story, well told, can reach the hearts and minds of millions.

So when wise people really want to influence the world, they tell stories.

Ursula Le Guin was, I think, a person of that kind of wisdom. One in a long line of wise storytellers, of philosopher poets, many of whose names are now forgotten, but whose stories live on.


This is one of the most intellectually challenging essays I’ve ever written, and one of the most complex videos I’ve produced. I wanted to explore Le Guin’s ideas and the philosophy encoded in the symbols and metaphors of her stories. That’s taken two years of reading and a month of intense labour.

What I see in Le Guin’s storytelling is a powerful philosophy conceived to achieve revolutionary social change, by challenging the very root ideas of what we believe to be “real” or “fantasy”.

With that power is also a danger, which I think Le Guin was aware of and fought with as she grew intellectually and creatively.

The video essay focusses on Le Guin’s most productive period from 1968–74 and touches on her Hainish and Earthsea novels. There will also be a long form commentary on the podcast feed to follow.

Watch the full video essay on YouTube






Science Fiction with Damien Walter


LOW POWER MODE: I sometimes put the blog in what I call LOW POWER MODE. If you see this note, the blog is operating like a sleeping computer, maintaining static memory, but making no new computations. If I am in low power mode, it's because I do not have time to do much that's inventive, original, or even substantive on the blog. This means I am posting straight shares, limited content posts, reprints, often something qualifying for the THAT ONE THING category and other easy to make posts to keep me daily. That's the deal. Thanks for reading.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2403.15 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3178 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: