Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #616 - Hugo Awards Nominations for 2017 by Friday March 17th and 2016 Locus Recommends List via TOR




Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #616 - Hugo Awards Nominations for 2017 by Friday March 17th and 2016 Locus Recommends List via TOR

Hi Mom,

Here we are with another post about the Hugo Awards. This is a somewhat quick one because I am working on final grades due tonight and have to teach some classes, do Calculus homework, attend Calculus class, and go pick up some sewing work I had done. Plus, I may have to go visit my Dad, who is ill.

It's time to make nominations for this year's Hugo Awards, which is one of two of science fiction's most prestigious awards, the other being the Nebula, which is awarded by the Science Fiction Writers Association of America.

Because in recent years the Hugo Awards came under fire by split factions within science fiction fandom and among its writers, I chose to write about it in three separate blog posts:

Hey Mom #45 - Hugo Awards, sort of outlines the issues and controversies, a schism which has really quieted down this year (at least as far as I know).

In Hey Mom #95, I announced the 2015 winners and shared the reactions of Scalzi, my main go to source for SF news, on the subject.

And then in Hey Mom #416, I returned to the subject in 2016 and shared the results of the 2016 awards. In fact, I just got around to reading Binti by Nendi Okorafor (special standalone blog analysis and review forthcoming), which won best novella, and I have queued up The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin, which won best novel.

So, if you want to vote (and here I mean you readers, not you, Mom, because you're dead), here's two links that will explain how and such, followed by the Locus Recommends lists for last year. I have been reading the magazine with its many reviews from which the list was compiled and have already added many books and stories to my reading queue.

Voting will be later this year, so there's time to read and get ready!! I re-upped my Worldcon supporting membership that makes me eligible to vote but not nominate, as I had to be a member by January 31st to be eligible to nominate.

http://www.thehugoawards.org/i-want-to-vote/


http://www.thehugoawards.org/2017/01/2017-hugo-campbell-award-nominations-now-open/#more-2871



The 2016 Locus Recommended Reading List


The 2016 Locus Recommended Reading List is up, and we are honored to have several pieces of short fiction and a number of books included! Each year, the February issue of Locus Magazine features a reading list compiled through the consensus of Locus editors and reviewers, which results in a variety of titles to be added to your TBR pile. This year we are so pleased to have work from Tor authors including Charlie Jane Anders, Malka Older, Thomas Olde Heuvelt, Kameron Hurley, and many more featured in the Novel, Novella, Novelette, Short Story, and Non-Fiction categories. Click through for our full list of included works, and happy reading!
Novels – Science Fiction
Novels – Fantasy
Novels – Horror
Young Adult Books
First Novels
Non-Fiction
Novellas
Novelettes
Short Stories
You can see the full list of recommended novels, short fiction, non-fiction, and art books on the Locus website.



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 618 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1703.14 - 7:00 my time

No comments: