Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #629 - America is Waiting, Musical Monday 1703.27


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #629 - America is Waiting, Musical Monday 1703.27

Hi Mom, I started this playlist two weeks ago while studying Calculus in Sangren, but then last week I came home sick.

I was going to keep this to just ten videos, like the Tree of Life in the Kabbalah, but then I decided to add the Kate Bush video, which seems very much in the theme of this set, and feeling that eleven videos is too odd and prime, I decided to add one more for an even dozen. When I went searching for just the right 12th video, I found the Killing Joke video that proved to be a great counter point to all the videos, the theme for which is "The State of the Hate Nation."

I mentioned "The State of the Hate Nation" in a recent blog post that I am very proud of that's about racism in comics: Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #627 - ASM#25 - Spider-Man pauses midfight to consider racist message. Please check it out if you haven't. I know you have been with me on this, Mom.

The Killing Joke video proved to be the perfect thing to cap off this set. The current nation seems to have a lot on common with the Reagan years of the 1980s. except the part where Trump is Putin of Russia's finger puppet. Can't really say Reagan and Bush were controlled by the Russians.

The central message here comes from the repeated lines in Byrne and Eno's great "America is Waiting" song that leads off the seminal masterpiece: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts:


"America is waiting for a message of some sort or another."

I am really proud of this set.

Great finds here, such as Sevdaliza, who came to my attention through those amazing algorithms of the Google-verse that's going to show me things that other people have liked who have liked what I have liked. She's amazing! Expect more Sevdaliza in future weeks.


The Google-verse also suggested that it was time to listen to Mogwai's "Ether," and though I featured that song in the masterful and amazingly best playlist so far this year --

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #573 - Kieron Gillen's Best of for 2016 - Musical Monday 1701.30

-- I took Google's suggestion and added it as I think it's a good message, a progression in this building theme created by these videos.

I was also trying to think of bands and tracks that felt like they should go together. Byrne and Eno made me think of Burial, which led me to NIN, which made Cabaret Voltaire a natural extension of those three.

I was trying not to double up, but then, I realized that there's a reason I want two cuts from My Life in the Bush of Ghosts and two from Cabaret Voltaire. That's just right.

Obviously, the Gil Scott Heron track is righteous and fits perfectly with "America is Waiting," but also especially perfect because it's the Bernie Sanders edition.

Some may say that the Peter Gabriel song seems like an outlier here, but listen to the lyrics.

As Gabriel claims it's a story of human rights told to him by an Apache Indian.

What could be more perfect as part of this collection of interrelated tunes?

"I hold the line."

LINK TO THE AMERICA IS WAITING PLAYLIST ON YOU TUBE HERE.



David Byrne & Brian Eno - "America is Waiting" from My Life in the Bush of Ghosts



Gil Scott Heron - "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" - from Soul of a Man



Kate Bush - "Cloudbursting" - from Hounds of Love


David Byrne & Brian Eno - "The Jezebel Spirit" from My Life in the Bush of Ghosts


Nine Inch Nails - "Closer"


Burial - "Ghost Hardware"


Peter Gabriel - "San Jacinto"


Mogwai - "Ether"


Cabaret Voltaire - "Ghostalk"


Cabaret Voltaire - "What Is Real"




Killing Joke - "Eighties"


Sevdaliza - "HUMAN"


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 631 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1703.27 - 10:10 my time (7:10 PDT)


No comments: