|page from Phonogram by Gillen and McKelvie|
This one's a bit of a beast to load, but it's worth it.
One of the greatest things about the Internet and the social media rich world we live in right now is something like this. So here's this author I respect, Kieron Gillen, and Kieron is BIG into music.
I subscribe to Kieron's newsletter (and you can, too, here: Kieron Gillen's Word Mail) and earlier this month he sent his playlist for 2016.
I love discovering new music, and though I knew some of these tracks, I did not know all of them. I suspect that this will be the experience for most people.
Gillen admitted that this list is no real order. For instance, when discussing the Solange track at #22, he wrote that he had no good reason why this one is not in his top ten. I would have to agree.
I might go through and make my own top ten for a future Musical Monday because I very much favor the Solange track, Shura, DJ Shadow, Blood Orange, Frank Ocean, Mogwai, FKA Twigs, CHVRCHES (and NOT only for the McKelvie in the video) and a few others.
But here's a treasure trove (and only slightly late as it's really Tuesday as I type).
Why top 40? I always wondered where that 40 number came from? Why not top 50? Or Top 20?
Who decided it would be a Top 40? Was it a space issue? Only so much room to print the list?
Funny though, he only has 39 tracks. So I added one to round off to 40. Gillen mentions that miscount in his opening remarks.
I reprint Kieron's comments about some of the songs among the list.
We need new music and great art now more than ever.
Track 40 - my pick
Moby & The Void Pacific Choir - Are You Lost In The World Like Me (Official Video)
YOU TUBE LINK TO THIS PLAYLIST
Kieron Gillen's post starts here:
35) Croatian Amor - An Angel Gets His Wings Clipped
It's the end of the world as I know it and AGGGGGHHHHHHHAUNTOLOGICALDEATH
32) Hannah Diamond - Fade Away
31) Pale Spectres - Your Boyfriend's Girlfriend
29) De La Soul (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Pain
28) Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Jesus Alone
27) FKA twigs - Good to Love
26) PJ Harvey - The Wheel
25) Noname - Diddy Bop
24) Mogwai - Ether
23) DJ Shadow (feat. Run the Jewels) - Nobody Speak
22) Kilo Kish - Hello, Lakisha
21) Swans - Finally, Peace
20) Drake (WizKid, Kyla) - One Dance
19) Metronomy - Old Skool
18) Dorian Electra – Clitopia
17) Solange - Cranes in the Sky
16) Vanishing Twin - Vanishing Twin Syndrome
14) Kanye West - Real Friends
13) Anderson .Paak (feat ScHoolboy Q) - Am I Wrong
11) Shura – Touch
10) Frank Ocean – Ivy
9) Formation – Beyonce
8) Car Seat Headrest - Destroyed By Hippie Powers
7) David Bowie – Blackstar
6) Christine and the Queens – Tilted
5) Mitski - Your Best American Girl
4) Rihanna (feat. Drake) – Work
3) Blood Orange - Best to You
1) Savages - Adore
But no, I'm not wired that way.
Reflect and connect.
Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
I miss you so very much, Mom.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.
- Days ago = 575 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1701.30 - 10:10
NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.
|Wicked and the Divine - Gillen and McKelvie|