Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1065 - Hackernoon Links



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1065 - Hackernoon Links

Hi Mom,

For most of the duration of this blog series, I have been working to accumulate resources to feed my mind as well as to feed my study. Two goals of the recent past and the now have been to learn to code and to find a job in computer science in some respect.

I feel I have learned to code. I have written many programs that work and are debugged. I have written programs in many languages. Granted, there is more to learn about coding, but I am dedicated to that task and invested in learning.

And though I have not found a job yet, I am also making progress on that front, slowly but surely.

And so when I spotted the Twitter post by Olivia dela Rosa about indispensible resources, I was happy to see ones I follow in her list, like Hackernoon, Wired, and Medium. I need more time to explore Reddit, which I know is a great resource, but I would add to her list Quora, Stack Overflow, and because I read about more than coding, a few others like Reason, Futurism, and Big Think.

So, when I saw my Hackernoon newsletter and a list of topics, I decided to share via my blog, if only because a couple are about job search.

Obviously, any list like this is going to have something about Bitcoin (yawn) or Blockchain (sigh), and I am not surprised to see the popular "we are living in simulation" debate continue as well as another take on AI (Artificial Intelligence): DO NOT FEAR SKY NET.

I was more interested in the two posts on job search things, career advice and interview advice as well as the piece on Scrum, which I hope is a subject I need to know well for my future work.

And this link looks like it will appeal to start ups and entrepreneurs:

Want to know how to raise your first round? Start acting like you’ve already closed it. by Max Zamkow

So I present here some good reading and two key bits. Enjoy!

FROM
In the interview one, the things to avoid saying seem obvious and common sense, such as

Never say, “I don’t want to use [software/technology/design pattern] ever.”
When an interviewer asks you a question about a technology or an app or a software or a design pattern, it is usually because it is important to the role that you’re applying for.
Say you’re a front-end developer and your interviewer asks you an opinion on what you think about Internet Explorer. She probably already knew most developers don’t like it, but she wants to know what you think about using it, building for it and what are some of the quirks that you’ve learned and so on. Why? Probably because it is one of the browsers that the company supports and their customers use it. If you say you don’t want to use it ever, it means you are not going to be a good fit for the role.
also this one
Never say, “I don’t have any question. Are we done now?”
This is actually one of the statements that gives interviewers a bad impression on you just as you leave an interview room, regardless of how well the interview went earlier. Interviewers usually end an interview with, “Do you have any question regarding the role, the company, or anything else?” An interview is a two-way street, and you need to know as much about the company as they need to know you. When you don’t have any question at all at the end of the session and worse, you can’t wait to leave, it implies that you are no longer interested in the role or the company. So yes, you can leave, and chances are you won’t be asked to come back either.
And with that, I hope you learned a thing or two about what not to say at interviews and increase your chances of being hired for that awesome developer role. Always remember that,
What you say matters and what you don’t say speaks volumes.

Some of the best advice I have received lately is to have prepared MANY questions for any interview or phone screen. Showing interest is more than half the battle.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I liked this, too.

FROM -

3. “The people who are happy at work simply focus more on the positive aspects of their job more than the negatives.” — Director of HR at my first company (took me a long time to learn this one)

Not one job is perfect. Not one job comes without doing a few things each day that you do not enjoy doing. More times than not, getting to the good means pushing through the bad, and the people that do this with a smile on their face will eventually win.
Think about the positive aspects of your job today. Write out a list of 15 reasons why you like it (the smaller the better, they add up). And tomorrow morning, before going into work, read off that list, but instead of saying, “I like my job because…………”, say, “I love my job because………..” and see how your day progresses.
“We can either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” — George Mumford


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hacker Noon’s top 10 stories this week:

Until next time, don’t take the realities of the world for granted. You never know when your life and business partner will fall into a pit.
Kind Regards,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1067 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1806.05 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: