Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #281 - Y&R - Victor goes to prison

Victor Newman in prison orange
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #281 - Y&R - Victor goes to prison


Hi Mom, As you know, a lot of my work is relatively mindless, and so I play TV shows while I work. For most of my life, one of these shows has been The Young and the Restless. I just burned through a lot of grades and worked on catching up to be current with Y&R. I am current as of Monday April 4th as of this moment, so I still have a ways to go, but my work never ends, so I have more Y&R in my near future.

Now, some work cannot be accomplished with Y&R playing beside me. I do look at Y&R from time to time as I work, especially to see a juicy sex scene or almost sex scene. But most of the show is scenes of dialogue that I can just listen to. And with 40 some years of Y&R experience, its rhythms and pace and tone are something familiar and comfortable. Granted, some work takes too much mental energy to have Y&R as my companion. For instance, right now, it's not playing. The TV is off. No music even. I am soaking up some much needed silence now that I have the house to myself for a few hours.

But as I have been working to catch up on Y&R, I have been observing a story line in which the show's grandmaster, the chief poo-bah, the great patriarch Victor Newman (played by the masterful Eric Braeden) was put on trial from some particularly heinous crimes after his family, chiefly his first-born daughter Victoria, refused to lie for him to the police and then proceeded to oust him from his own company and take up the CEO reigns for herself.

This time it looked like Victor would finally get what was coming to him, but he's a slippery devil and so there was no guarantee that he would be sentenced to prison for his crimes. And then, despite all his efforts to manipulate the system, he was sentenced to ten years in prison for kidnapping and attempted murder. I almost cheered.

And yet, I cried. I watched so many of these shows with you, Mom. We have talked for years about Victor finally getting what's coming to him. I wanted him brought down off his high horse; you did not. We would have such fun watching this together. So, I was enjoying this current story line, but it actually made me cry, not from the melodrama but from missing you, from not being able to share this with you in a way other than a spiritual sharing. I know you are with me. I sense you. I hear your wail of "no" when I tease you about Victor. But it's not the same as laughing at this show while we enjoy it with you here in person.

I know it's the same old song over and over, but I am reminded of it in so many ways all the time: I miss you, Mom.

Victor Newman contemplates his fate
Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 283 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1604.13 - 10:10


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.
Nikki and Victoria Newman await the verdict

No comments: