Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #288 - Toilet Paper Hanging Direction


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #288 - Toilet Paper Hanging Direction

Hi Mom,

I promise some original content soon. We're coming up on exam week. BUSY.

But i was clearing email, and I spotted this and it's a huge PET PEEVE of mine, so I had to re-post.

I usually do not like following the herd, but in this, I am all right with being part of the 72% herd mentality.

This bothers me SO MUCH that I have changed it in other people's homes or in places of business if the paper is not locked up.

I am strictly an OVER person.

UNDER is just WRONG.

WRONG!

You taught me well, Mom.

Don't even get me started on how the lid must be kept DOWN.

WHAT TOILET PAPER PREFERENCE SAYS ABOUT YOU

What Your Toilet Paper Preference Says About You
If you assumed that hanging a toilet paper roll one way over another was an arbitrary decision, you'd be wrong. Your toilet paper preferences might actually be correlated to your demographic and political identity, research shows.
toilet paper orientation WIKIMEDIA COMMONS - WIKIMEDIA.ORG
The latest study — a 2004 survey from Bathroom Confidential — shows that 72 percent of Americans favor toilet paper that hangs in the "over" orientation. That's consistent with earlier studies from Georgia-Pacific and the Poretz and Sinrod Survey, both of which found majority support for the "over" paper model.
toilet paperERIC ROSENBERG - ERICROSENBERG.ME
Research conducted in 1989 found that younger, wealthier and more liberal individuals were most likely to report a over-orientation preference when it comes to TP. Conversely, older, more conservative, and poorer individuals tend to hang their toilet paper in the "under" style.
That research, which can be found in "The First Really Important Survey of American Habits" by Barry Sinrod and Mel Poretz, found that money was a really important factor in determining how one hangs their toilet paper, as 60 percent of those who made over $50,000 ($96,000 in 2016 dollars) preferred the over style, while 73 percent of those who made under $20,000 ($38,000 in 2016 dollars) go for the under hang.
Asked what he made of the results, Sinrod said "I don’t know, but it’s sure interesting."

And it is interesting! After all, there are pros and cons that come with each respective toilet paper preference, as WendoverProductions reports in a video dedicated exclusively to toilet paper trends. Housekeeping services at most hotels, airlines, and cruises often go for the over hanging model because they're more easily able to indicate when the roll has been changed, for example.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 290 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1604.20 - 10:10


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: