Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #284 - The Dread Semicolon


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #284 - The Dread Semicolon

Hi Mom, I am behind again, and so today and tomorrow I am staying with some show and tell, sharing cartoons or comics with you (and any readers who join us) because that's both fun and easy and I need to catch up and I don't have much time to do it and I am fine with this run-on sentence and do not plan to punctuate it but if I wanted to punctuate it, I could use SEMI-COLONS.

We spent a lot of time revising and editing your college papers, especially your English class papers, when you returned to college, Mom. I miss those days. I apologize for ever being exasperated with how many changes we had to make and how many times we had to print those papers. They had to be perfect. I get it. I have that gene, also. Thanks a lot.

For my readers, because Mom knows, I already apologized to her for that exasperation. I am just doing to again because it's relevant. But I apologized at the time and I apologized later during all those years when she lived after the Meningitis.

Just thinking about those years of working with you, Mom, fills me with love and a deep sadness. I would like to go back to that time. Not because I left things unsaid, but because I miss you so much and that was a good time. Before you had the meningitis and I paid you back in Spades for all the years you took care of me by helping Dad take care of you, those times when you were in college were times when I could help you and show my gratitude for what a great mom you were, you are. That meant a lot to me, means a lot to me.

Anyway, now I am crying, when I was supposed to be laughing!! So on to the cartoons.

As you know, in my adventures in teaching English, I see a lot of semi-colon use, and very little of it is correct. I swear that this is the MOST often misused punctuation in the English language, which is silly, because it really only has one use. Any other uses are very rare, and the main use is somewhat common. This cartoon explains that well. And now I have a good place on my blog to send students. Ha!! Ulterior motive!

FROM THE OATMEAL: THE SEMI-COLON

All HAIL THE OATMEAL. Since I am sharing the work from THE OATMEAL with credit, go there, donate, buy stuff, enjoy it. THE OATMEAL is one of the best cartoon sites on the Internet.









Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 286 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1604.16 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: