Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #390 - Affect/Effect - the Oatmeal


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #390 - Affect/Effect - the Oatmeal

Hi Mom,

It's Monday. I kind of took the day off yesterday. Or rather, I was a day behind, so I finished Saturday's post on Sunday, and then did not get a Sunday post done.

So, today, just a quick note and a comic from THE OATMEAL, one of many at the page found via that link.

Liesel and I had kind of a lazy weekend. We finished watching Penny Dreadful, for which I want to write a review, and we watched all eight episodes of the Netflix show Stranger Things, which I also plan to review.

So, that's about it. On to August. But first some other reprints, though with time dilation, because that amuses me. I am adding a link to Warren's text having found the monastery he mentions.

Tomorrow (Monday, August First), Warren Ellis will publish this on his Morning Computer blog:



THE MORNING VOLUME CONTROL


  • Four cups of espresso, four cigarettes, sitting in my back garden. Under a roof, because it’s England, and we can get hail in the height of summer.
  • I don’t open Instagram in the morning any more. The new timeline system has fucked it all up for me. (Yes, yes, all-inclusive linear timelines are also an algorithmic choice blah blah nothing is real blah blah time is a flat circle blah blah fuck off.)
  • News podcasts from BBC Today and The Economist while I struggle to focus my eyes and stare at the garden. Then skimming the top of Twitter, the Guardian, Foreign Policy.
  • I live in DMs and emails now. (And one tiny Slack channel.) An acquaintance DM’d me yesterday to tell me they were going to “0 followers” on Twitter because the public internet is just freaky and stressy these days.
  • There’s a podcast sent from a monastery in France, that records each day’s chants, and I often listen to that over the last espresso while I process the overnight email.  Most of my days are insane, lately – writing and firing off a hundred emails and processing production material and spending an unusual amount of time on the phone. I protect my mornings to the death, now.  I need to start the day slowly, and with the volume turned down. The top of the day can be peaceful, even while assimilating information. You just have to find the ways to turn the volume down on the world.
  • And then, notebook in one hand and the phone in the other, I go for a walk.
READING: NOCILLA DREAM, Agustin Fernandez Mallo (UK) (US)



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 392 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - date - time

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: