Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #601 - WOMEN KNOW MATH - Musical Monday for 1702.27


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #601 - WOMEN KNOW MATH - Musical Monday for 1702.27

Hi Mom,

So here's how this happened: I patronize (as in "to be a patron of" not "treat condescendingly") Natalie Metzger, who is a great artist drawing two online comics -- Over Encumbered and Cthulu Slippers -- and has her own web site, The Fuzzy Slug. Also, Natalie recently did the illustrations for John Scalzi's book Miniatures, which I just finished reading.

So, it's all a perfect storm of interconnectedness, right? Anyway, since I am a patron of Natalie's on Patreon (awesome), she sent a message when the Doubleclicks released this song -- "Women Know Math," for which she did an illustration. In fact, the video for the song contains 50 illustrations, all by different artists, each illustration featuring some part of the lyrics.

Brilliant.

I had not heard of the Doubleclicks. Or rather, I may have heard of them, but I had not yet listened to their music.

This song immediately captivated, if only because I have had many great women math teachers in my life, and I am enjoying being in class with one right now.

But then, with a little more exploring, OH MY, the other songs, especially "Nothing to Prove," which, as it turns out, features Scalzi holding a sign (see picture below) and wow WHAT A SONG. As my friend Walt wrote on Facebook when he shared the video I tagged him in: "this is everything."

I could boil down the message to "boys are mean" and "boys are stupid," and though that's funny, and true, it also seems to mock the seriousness of the content and the message about how girls are geeks, too, real fans, and deserve their space in fandom and the freedom to be themselves. I have never even questioned that idea so hearing stories of hater boys trying to marginalize the geekdom of women makes no sense to me.

Oh, AND, the Doubleclicks are funding their new album at KICKSTARTER!!! See link below in Natalie's article.

These are my new favorite songs: "Women Know Math" and "Nothing to Prove." CAN YOU DIG IT?

Anyway, enough of me, check the music. Several Doubleclicks in this entry plus the link (below) to the band's You Tube page.

But first, Natalie's post on her illustration and the Doubleclicks. Yay!

DOUBLECLICKS ON YOU TUBE









http://www.thefuzzyslug.com/blog/2017/2/women-know-math-by-the-doubleclicks




Women Know Math by The Doubleclicks

February 15, 2017

Monday, the fabulous band, The Doubleclicks, released their latest song and video, Women Know Math. It's a beautiful song about gender issues and features the amazing art from fifty artists including myself. 





For my part, I illustrated the "I crush on dudes" text. When coming up with the design for this, I kept debating with myself on what to do for this illustration. In truth, this one was a difficult one for me because of the serious/sensitive nature of the song, and all the illustration possibilities. In the end, I decided to play with the sexual dimorphism in certain species where females are typically larger than males because looks do not/should not dictate what it is to be "female". Also, I really like drawing reptiles. That being settled, I chose to use Python brongersmai as my subject mainly because their coloration and pattern could be adapted to illustrate the text and a play on the word "crush" as a thing that is quintessentially python. Did I mention I love to over analyze things? I also cranked up the dimorphism on the males to make them extra small cuties to add extra balance to the composition.

Here is the final piece:


The Doublclicks also have a Kickstarter going right now for their next album, as it so happens, 



MORE DOUBLE CLICKS

This next song is even more awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, look, it's Scalzi.

Can't believe this song came out four years ago, and I am just discovering it now.



"This is everything." - my friend, Walt Curley















+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 603 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1702.27 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: