Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #770 - How Much Life is Enough?


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #770 - How Much Life is Enough?

Hi Mom,

This is a bit of a cheat as Monica Byrne via her Patreon (where you can support her right now) posted this message the video at 6:10 today, so I couldn't possibly have re-posted and shared it at 10:10, even in PDT, which will soon be my time zone.

But I am catching up via quick shares.

Thanks Monica. This will give me something to watch in bed tonight with the puppies.


{ all patrons }
Should aging be considered a disease? Will we ever be able to live forever? Should we? 
The new VICE UK episode--on immortality, transhumanism, and cryonics--is HERE! It's twelve minutes long and it's so freaking beautiful. If AT ALL POSSIBLE, when you watch it, turn all the lights off and go full-screen. It's worth it.
Also, um....this episode is much more personal than the last. I'll tell you something: before I talked to Aubrey de Grey, I broke down crying. I had to go to the (tiny) bathroom just off the Cambridge Union and have a good weep, and wash my face and splash water in my eyes, so my puffy eyes wouldn't show on camera. The same thing happened at the ALCOR Life Extension facility in Phoenix, with all of the "patients" preserved in cold silver canisters. The idea that aging is a disease...that any sickness can be cured...that death is a form of weakness...was both deeply intriguing and incredibly offensive to me. So what you see reflected in this film is my--and the whole crew's--vacillations between those two poles.  
So watch it. And let me know what you think in the comments.
Again!, if you want to see the captioned play-by-play behind all of our shoots, go here for the USA shoot, here for the UK shoot, and here for the Japan shoot.
Love and thanks. :)
Monica




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 772 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1708.15 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: