Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #785 - Ellory and the Fence Incident

Ellory after the fence incident - 1708.30 - 7:26 a.m.
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #785 - Ellory and the Fence Incident

Hi Mom,

So our yard is not totally escape proof yet.

Yesterday, Adam and Keith finished work started by me and the Big Guy in putting up chicken wire below the fence so the dogs could not squeeze under. They had already squeezed under twice.

So, chicken wire, see?


But, we did not have enough chicken wire to go all around the yard. We did the back fence, which is the area the dogs were most interested in because it separates us from a weedy ravine with a creek running through it.

But we stopped at the sides, which separate us from the neighbor's yard.


I was doing stuff in the dining area and watching Ellory only intermittently rather than constantly. I checked on her and found her missing. Frantically, I began to search.

I suspect she got under the fence above into the neighbor's yard and then out back. I found her peek back at me many houses away to the left. I called her and she came back but there's this big fence between us.

I didn't want to take my eyes off her, so I climbed over the fence, and then picked her up. I was considering hoisting her over the fence and dropping her back in the yard. She weighs 50 some pounds, so that's a challenge in and of itself, but I was also unsure I could drop her on her feet and the the fence is probably seven feet or more in height, so that's quite a drop.

I tried to carry her along the fence line to the left of the house, but soon ran into trouble with prickers and precarious footing in the limited ban width at the top of the ravine. I was forced to set her down and keep asking her to follow me as we made our way several houses down to the end of the street and the newest construction where fence had not been installed yet.

At this point I grabbed her by the collar, dragged her home, and suspended her backyard privileges for a few hours. Just a little while ago, I went out to sit on the back porch with both dogs outside and kept an eye on Ellory. Our WiFi works great outside, which is a blessing.

I really like our new house but I knew I was spoiled with our set up back at St. Antoine of a lush, green lawn in a huge fenced in back yard that was escape proof with a slider in the bedroom for quick in and out for potty especially at bedtime.

This is less ideal and soon when we have the backyard weeds killed and the area hydro-seeded, the girls will need to be taken out on leashes throughout the day for up to a month or more until the back yard is ready for them.

But it's okay. I do love the new house. It has many other great features that counter-balance these minor inconveniences.

And Ellory is very sorry... :-)





+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 787 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1708.30 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: