Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #157 - Java Hell


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #157 - Java Hell

Hi Mom,

I am slamming hard through a huge Java code project due tonight, Friday, at midnight, but since I am writing this from the future, I can say that I managed to get the TA to give me extra time, and so I did not have to stay up until the wee hours, which I would not have been able to do successfully. Here, to the left, is an image from my Net Beans developer program, and farther below, there's a screen capture with Java code in it.

It's a somewhat difficult project, even though the logic of most parts are not as difficult in and of themselves as the encryption/decryption program we did earlier this semester. This is my eighth Java program of the semester. I like writing code. I especially like running into problems and then solving them.

This code reads Baseball team data from a file and then sorts the data into standings order for leagues and divisions all using classes and objects. I ran into a problem the other day in which, for the league objects, I was not getting any output. I had to drill deeply to figure out the problem. I had instantiated the team object in the wrong order. (And, yes, that's a real computer word: to instantiate an instance of the object using the class that creates the object.) Since I out the league and the division data in the wrong order, when I was trying to sort by league using the words American and National, the code was checking the Division attribute that would never be either American or National. I spent a LONG TIME finding this error, which may be the main reason I needed extra time. So that's fixed but now I am struggling to sort into standings order.

ALSO, I have quite lost track of what pictures of you, Mom, I have posted and which ones I have not. I do not have an easy system to look at uploaded photos... oh wait, they are all in Google drive. Okay, so yes, I have used this photo up top already. But it's such a nice photo of you and the Big Guy. I feel the pride and love from the both of you very strongly from that photo. I need that feeling today.

Back to work.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 159 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1512.11 - 10:10
really 1512.12 - 8:25

No comments: