This playlist is centered around the song "Sacrifice," a song written for Leonard Peltier by Robbie Robertson for his album Contact From the Underworld of Redboy.
Though I book end the playlist with two versions of "Sacrifice" (at least in terms of video), and though I do feature three tracks from the Redboy album, the rest came about mostly from the You Tube algorithm and wherever it leads, which is how I came across several of these songs that I would not otherwise have included, such as those by The Dead South, Anohni, and Allen Stone, all of which are brand new to me. "Native Son" by U2 is an unreleased track about Leonard Peltier. "Same Thing" by Flobots is also about freedom for Leonard Peltier.
Thematically, the songs in this mix only loosely fit together, but I like what has come about from the connections and the threads of the algorithm.
Leonard Peltier's story of being a scapegoat for the 1975 conflict at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation has always moved me deeply and profoundly.
Robbie Robertson's recorded interview with Peltier that he laid into the song "Sacrifice" as a soundtrack is even more compelling.
Leonard Peltier is an innocent man paying for the crimes of others. He's a symbol of the racism deeply entrenched in this country, especially against the most oppressed people, such as the original people, the natives, those who first ruled this land, and those who were shipped here as slaves.
The story of Leonard Peltier is an example of the travesty of "American justice" and the power of the government, mainly the FBI in this case, to falsify evidence and mount a systematic and decades long campaign against an individual to make an example of him a statement about the dominance of the conquering white men who stole this land.
It's disgusting, and it makes me sick.
The best hope for Leonard Peltier not to die in prison evaporated when the Obama administration denied his application for clemency just a few months ago. The decision was announced January 18, 2017, just after Obama left office.
Okay, so I edited this entry because originally I did not have a playlist made in You Tube or listed here. Fixed that on Wednesday 1707.12.
Here's the YOU TUBE PLAYLIST LINK.
I would do an embed but then that defeats the purpose of the blog, eh?
SACRIFICE - FREE LEONARD PELTIER - A MUSICAL MONDAY MIX FOR 1707.10
1. "Sail" by AWOLNATION covered by Kawehi
2. "Sacrifice" - Robbie Robertson - from Contact From the Underworld of Red Boy
3. "Native Son" - U2 - LIVE
4. "The Sound is Fading" - Robbie Robertson - from Contact From the Underworld of Red Boy
5. "Same Thing" - Flobots
6. "Peyote Healing" - Robbie Robertson & The Red Road Ensemble
7. "In Hell I'll Be In Good Company" - The Dead South
8. "Drone Bomb Me" - ANOHNI
9. "American Privilege" - Allen Stone
10. "Easy Money" - King Crimson - LIVE
11. "Deeper Understanding" - Kate Bush - from The Sensual World
12. "Foundations" - Kate Nash
13. "Does This Bus Stop At Samariterstrasse" - Brook Pridemore
14. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles - covered by Daniela Andrade
15. "Sacrifice" with interviews with Robbie Robertson
- Robbie Robertson - from Contact From the Underworld of Red Boy
Reflect and connect.
Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
I miss you so very much, Mom.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.
- Days ago = 736 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1707.10 - 10:10
NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.