Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #184 - New Music



isn't this a beautiful painting?
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #184 - New Music

Hi Mom,

I have been on a new music kick lately. Liesel and the kids gave me new music for Christmas, Namely Searching for the Young Soul Rebels  by Dexy's Midnight Runners and Generation Terrorists  by Manic Street Preachers. Also, I splurged and chose a few gifts to wrap for myself that were symbolically from you, Mom. You gave me Adele's album 25, the 2015 Fantastic Four movie on DVD, a floppy fur-lined plaid hat with ear warmers that I use to take the dog for a walk, and a kid-sized Detroit Lions hat that I bought by mistake and replaced with a t-shirt SEDUCED BY THE DARK SIDE (picture forthcoming in another entry.)

But then, I received a gift certificate, and so I have been buying music to fill my music coffers with new stuff. I have splurged a bit. Most of my purchases have been of the kind of ambient or instrumental music I like best: Robin Guthrie, Harold Budd, and a few other artists all via Amazon and MP3. I bought the entire catalogue via Bandcamp the other day for Ian Holloway and his most recent incarnation: the British Space group. I also am buying a few CDs, including an M.I.A. album that I do not own, Joe Jackson's 2015 release, a Vangelis I lack, another by Dexy's Midnight Runners, and Parklife by Blur.

I wrote about my discovery of more British pop music that I had yet access here at

Hey Mom #59 - Phonogram and Traverse City 2015 pt. three,

which is the one blog entry that I had in my best twenty HEY MOM blogs of 2015, but I dropped it to make room for another one (and keep to 20) that I thought was stronger. Still, I do love that entry, if only for the Jamie McKelvie art that I photographed with my phone while in vacation. The Neahtawanta bed spread makes a nice back drop.  I didn't actually include a Dexy's song in that post, so I may include one here.

I am keen to explore the pop music written about in Phonogram more depth as I missed a great deal of good stuff and tend to like small, British bands with more play there than here (such as the Jam and Style Council).

Harold Budd came to my attention with the second ambient release by Brian Eno, Ambient Two: The Plateaux of Mirror I continued to explore, finding many more Harold Budd albums, especially his collaborations with Robin Guthrie of the Cocteau Twins, one of my all time favorite bands. Plus, Guthrie is SCOTTISH, so that's an automatic plus in my book. I first learned of Guthrie/Budd collaborating on a project tangential to the Cocteau Twins released in 1986 called The Moon and The Melodies, which is one of my all-time favorite records.

As for one of the releases here, Winter Garden, which I have been listening to for over a year on You Tube, here's what WIKI offers: In November 2011, Eraldo Bernocchi's RareNoiseRecords released a CD album by Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd, Robin Guthrie entitled Winter Garden, recorded in the summer of 2010 in Tuscany, Italy and mixed in Guthrie's studio, in Rennes, France.

I had never heard of Eraldo Bernocchi, but now I plan to explore more.

You were never a huge music fan, Mom, by which I mean that you did not have music playing in the house even some of the time, let alone most of the time. You did not object to music (well not always) and generally seemed to like it, but you did not always like what I was into. With this music here, especially the quite, ambient stuff, I think you would either like it or at least not object to it.

Here's a gift to readers. If you find some music here that inspires you, all the better.

And yes, ADELE. I know. But I needed to check it out. It's a big deal, apparently.

I needed some new music in my life, so this feasting on music has served my purposes well.


ALBUM COVER GALLERY












SOME VIDEOS OF SOME OF THE MUSIC

Harold Budd & Akira Rabelais - As Long As I Can Hold My Breath : By Night




Robin Guthrie - Kings Will Be Falling





Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd, Robin Guthrie - Winter Garden




Dexys Midnight Runners - Burn It Down





Robin Guthrie - White Bear In Honolulu





Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 186 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1601.07 - 10:10







No comments: