Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #59 - Phonogram and Traverse City 2015 pt. three



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #59 - Phonogram and Traverse City 2015 pt. three - plans

Hi Mom,

I just brought the two Phonogram graphic novels with me on my vacation (such as it is, two days, three depending on how you count) as an after thought. I was planning to read the book I started a while ago, The Girl in the Road by Monica Bryne, and I spent the whole time I was up north reading Phonogram. (I was also going to read more of my Java text book but that didn't happen either.)

This is a theme of my life: plans that do not come to fruition. I have learned over the years to plan fewer things and that when I fail to do everything that I have planned to do that I do not beat myself to a pulp for being a failure. But it's difficult. I plan too much. I hold myself to a high standard, and then I have trouble not being disappointed in myself. You know this about me, Mom. In fact, I think I learned this behavior from you because I sure did not get it from my Dad.

Anyway, Phonogram.

Phonogram is a comic graphic novel about Brit Pop, such as Blur, Manic Street Preachers, Oasis, Suede, The Long Blondes, Dexys Midnight Runners, and The Pipettes, among many, many others.

There are two books published in 2007 and 2008, and with a new volume starting, called Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl, I had been wanting to read the previous volumes before I read the first issue, published last month. Also, I have become quite a fan of both creators: Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. Gillen and McKelvie currently produce a comic called The Wicked and the Divine, which is sort of related to Phonogram, though not directly.

I previously wrote about The Wicked and the Divine on this blog in an entries called

Weekly Comics for 1406.18

and

Weekly Comics for 1407.16,

as I hotly and eagerly anticipated the release of this comic after enjoying Gillen and McKelvie's collaboration on The Young Avengers.

Anyway, in Phonogram, characters are phonomancers who can use music to cast magic. There's a grander plot with relationships and tons of music trivia but that's essentially it.

What really hooked me was the entry into music that I knew about but did not own and have not listened to much or at all, and Gillen wrote very detailed glossaries for all the quoted song lyrics and music references in the comic book. I was fascinated. Sitting on the porch of the Neahtawanta, I realized I could dial up music via You Tube on my phone and give a listen to several of the songs right there. And... WOW. For instance, I had only ever listened to Dexys Midnight Runners' song "Come On, Eileen." The other stuff is amazingly good. Also, I had seen the band name, Manic Street Preachers, on British music magazines for years and had never explored their work. I did not know that one of their original members, Richey Edwards, had disappeared in 1995 and is presumed dead by suicide (jumping off a bridge).

I was mesmerized.

Other than great time with Dad, and with your spirit and presence, Mom, the greatest thing I got from the vacation was a new love for Brit Pop and the comic Phonogram.

A better explanation than the one I gave can be found here:

PHONOGRAM - THE COMIC - WIKIPEDIA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's four of the featured songs that I rather like

"Pull Shapes" by the Pipettes


"Motorcycle Emptiness" by the Manic Street Preachers


"Ice Cream" by the Young Pony Club


"Parklife" by Blur


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I took the following picture for Liesel as there had been some discussion about her coming with us to Traverse City, but then she picked up some work hours. She has been wanting to kayak or paddle board all summer. So I took this picture and sent it to her with the message: "this could have been you."


Likewise, Liesel took a picture of this salad, and wrote me the same message: "this could have been you."

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.



Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.



- Days ago = 60 days ago



- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1509.02 - 21:55
and 1509.06 - 19:57

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: