Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #78 - Handicapped spot


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #78 - Handicapped spot

Hi Mom, I thought about you today when I was walking toward this handicapped parking spot at D&W on Oakland Drive in Kalamazoo.

We spent so many years driving around for handicapped spots. I never really thought about these spots much before you needed to use them.

I also never thought much about the word "handicapped," which I think is a much better word than "disabled." Just by definition. "Handicapped" means needing assistance, but "disabled" means unable, lacking ability "dis" - ability. Most peopled labeled as "disabled" have some ability. But it's all about our culture. "Handicapped" became associated with the culture at large's negative feelings for the "differently abled," and so to avoid stigma, to avoid the negative connotations, by law, usage was mandated to switch to "disabled." Well, arrest me. I won't use it. Handicapped is a better word. After all, a handicap in golf means that one needs a little help, but one can still play golf.

I will think about you every time I pass a handicapped parking spot, Mom. But now, with you gone, I won't park there, even driving Dad's car that still has the handicapped parking permit. I will leave them free for the people who need them.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 80 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1509.22 - 20:03

No comments: