Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, August 12, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1637 - 1969 - 11 songs for Apollo 11


A Sense of Doubt blog post #1637 - 1969 - 11 songs for Apollo 11

I finally got around to making a mix, albeit a short one, after a long no-mix-making hiatus. Though I am cheating with a second "honorable mention" mix following the main mix.

The theme of this mix is simple: song from 1969 in commemoration of the Apollo 11 Mission and the first men on the moon, fifty years ago this July (last month).

The lunar missions were very important to me as a child of seven at the time. My second grade teacher wanted me to learn subtraction, and I was ONLY interested in the missions leading up to Apollo 11 that took place during the school year. Luckily, I was out of school in the summer to fully consume all the coverage of the moon landing, albeit on our black and white TV.

Speaking of the TV, in my own personal mythology, I insisted on bringing our family TV to school as Apollo missions seven (October 1968) through ten (May 1969) all took place during my second grade school year (1968-1969). It may not be true, though I believe that I remember it.

I mean, come on, how could I care about subtraction when astronauts are doing test flight, orbiting the moon, and testing the lunar module. I mean, really.

LIST OF MISSIONS

And those flights all need a soundtrack.

I selected popular 1969 songs that I like for both the main and the honorable mention mix.

After all, in 1969, one of my favorite bands, King Crimson, debuted. And even though Crimson does not make the main mix, it makes the honorable mention mix. In fact, Court of the Crimson King and "Pinball Wizard" are probably the reasons I created the second mix.

ALSO, side note, today marks the 1500th day since my Mom's death. I almost switched this to a HEY MOM post, but I didn't. She supported my interest in space and NASA. Also, it may be fitting that I had two other job search related posts today, which will also, forever more, be marked as the 1500th day.

Wow, 1500 days. Hard to believe. Kind of like how people felt about walking on the moon once upon a time.



Granted "The Weight" was released in 1968, and though still very popular in 1969, it was covered at least once in 1969, so I think it qualifies for a spot, and I started with it.

Title links to the You Tub mix and the video pod player for the whole mix follows.

1969 - 11 SONGS FOR APOLLO 11


1. "The Weight" - The Band
2. "Come Together" - The Beatles
3. "Bad Moon Rising" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
4. "In the Year 2525" - Zager and Evans
5. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
6.  "More Today Than Yesterday" - Spiral Staircase
7. "Sugar Sugar"- The Archies
8. "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" - Marvin Gaye
9. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield
10. "Give Peace a Chance" - John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band
11. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin




Originally, I had "Sweet Caroline" in the honorable mentions, but I never liked that song despite its wild popularity. I substituted Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now."

The title directly below links to the You Tube mix. The video pod player follows. Though Included all the songs from King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King here, I only added "21st Centuty Schizoid Man" to the You Tube mix to keep the track count to eleven songs.

CHEATS - HONORABLE MENTIONS

1. "Pinball Wizard" - The Who
2.  "Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell
3. "I Can't Get Next To You" - The Temptations
4. "Touch Me" - The Doors
5.  "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
6. "Easy to be Hard" - Three Dog Night
7. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley
8. "I Want You Back" - The Jackson Five
9. "This Magic Moment" - Jay and the Americans
10. "I Can Hear Music" - Beach Boys
11. In the Court of the Crimson King FULL ALBUM






THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING





















AND following those videos, here's an article I found that's worth a look.

KING CRIMSON 1969 - A PERSONAL THROUGHVIEW FROM THE GUITARIST.
Posted by Iona Singleton on Nov 7, 2016










https://www.dgmlive.com/in-depth/king-crimson-1969-from-the-guitarist


King Crimson was conceived in the kitchen of 93a, Brondesbury Road, during the second half of November 1968; and born on January 13th. 1969 in the Fulham Palace Cafe, Fulham Palace Road, London. On December 7th. 1969, while driving to Big Sur, Ian McDonald told me of the decision taken by Michael Giles and himself, during the preceding three days in Los Angeles, to leave the band. The last performance by this, the first incarnation of King Crimson, was at the Fillmore West, San Francisco, on December 16th. 1969.

I returned to England with a broken heart. At the time, I couldn’t understand how anyone could leave a group of that originality and power. Twenty seven years later I know it’s better to take a holiday after an overlong, gruelling tour, than a life-decision which affects everybody. But these were young musicians, and young managers.

In retrospect, Michael and Ian regretted their leaving. But both Greg Lake and Ian McDonald achieved greater exposure, popularity and financial success with their subsequent projects - ELP and Foreigner - than was likely had Crimson continued. Michael married the woman he loved, and had left behind in England.

MORE AT

https://www.dgmlive.com/in-depth/king-crimson-1969-from-the-guitarist



APOLLO 11 STUFF




https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/28/apollo-11-review-moon-landing-documentary-nasa-neil-armstrong-buzz-aldrin

http://mentalfloss.com/article/585759/apollo-11-moon-landing-facts

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/command-module-apollo-11

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/command-module-apollo-11

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48911106

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/amp-stories/experience-the-historic-apollo-11-mission/?noredirect=on

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2019/07/15/7-things-apollo-11-astronauts-left-moon-flag-reflector-armstrong-aldrin-lander/1251813001/


https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/50-years-apollo-11-experiment-sending-data-moon/story?id=64339197

http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-images/spacecraft/apollo-11.html

https://undark.org/article/apollo-11-moon-landing/



PHOTO GALLERY













+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1908.12 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1500 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: