Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1640 - TONI MORRISON tributes via AFROPUNK



A Sense of Doubt blog post #1640 - TONI MORRISON tributes via AFROPUNK

No, Throwback Thursday this week, no personal picture Throwback and no hodge podge. I guess the cover photo for this entry is a Throwback, so it qualifies, but I am not going to file this one in that category.

So, more Toni Morrison content, this time from AFROPUNK.

I first learned about Toni Morrison in my first year of college (1981) when in the Spring quarter I took a great novels class and one of the novels was Morrison's Song of Solomon.

I was hooked. Later, as a graduate student, I had another class in which we read Sula and Tar Baby. Actually, I skipped the latter, and I still have not read it. I read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale again.

Later, I taught Sula for many semesters, and though I never taught Beloved, I did talk about it in many classes and have read it twice (maybe three times).

I consider Toni Morrison to be one of the best writers the English language has ever produced without caveats, not best woman writers, not just best African-American writers, just one of the best writers, period. She is one of my favorite writers. I need to read those books of hers that I have not read, like Tar Baby.

These tributes are excellent. I love AFROPUNK.

Here's today's shares. I share a lot. But sharing is caring.

I can only imagine all the books you might have managed to write, Toni, before you passed away if you could have hung on just a little longer. Then again, with great books like Beloved, maybe we don't need any others.

MUSIC
CULTURE
ART
FASHION
RIP TONI MORRISON
WHAT TONI MORRISON TAUGHT ME ABOUT LOVE & DEATH
Poet, actor, and performing artist Staceyann Chin: "If I can love anyone fiercely, without the narrow confines of our worst need to control each other, it is because I read 'Sula' and it burrowed under my skin, and seeped deep into my blood."
READ MORE
TONI TONI TONI: ON THE DEATH OF A SHERO
Veteran writer, editor and content strategist Kierna Mayo: "I just wasn’t ready to let Toni Morrison go."
READ MORE
TONI MORRISON: RISE IN LOVE
Writer/musician Imani e Wilson: "She is all the sea and I have a meager Dixie cup."
READ MORE
TONI MORRISON IS LOVE
Writer/critic Myles E. Johnson: "Toni Morrison taught us through fiction and non-fiction how dreams could most radically shift our lives."
READ MORE
TONI MORRISON & THE CULTIVATION OF GOODNESS
Toni Morrison has given an infinite amount of knowledge, but her meditations of both distraction and goodness feel especially relevant this week.
READ MORE
AFROPUNK MIXTAPE #056: BODY POLITICS
Songs from legends like Betty Davis, Angelo Moore, and Saul Williams, and rising stars like Rico Nasty, HXLT, and fest faves Unlocking the Truth.
LISTEN NOW

AFROPUNK MIX TAPE #56 - BODY POLITICS

01. Liza Colby Sound – Cool Hand
02. Rico Nasty – Time Flies
03. Interlude: The Grapevine, 2019
04. Ganser – Bad Form
05. HXLT – Anti-Special
06. Betty Davis – A Little Bit Hot Tonight
07. Interlude: The Grapevine, 2019
08. SHINGAI – Champion Styles
09. Yemi Alade – Bounce
10. Sampa the Great – OMG
11. Saul Williams – Before the War
12. Interlude: The Grapevine, 2019
13. Sistastrings – Her Name Was
14. Angelo Moore & Brand New Step – Open Your Mind!
15. Interlude: The Grapevine, 2019
16. Unlocking the Truth – Pretend














+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1908.15 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1503 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: