Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, August 26, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1651 - Everybody Knows 2019 - Musical Monday for starting school - 1908.26



A Sense of Doubt blog post #1651 - Everybody Knows 2019 - Musical Monday for starting school - 1908.26

Greetings and welcome.

Today marks the start of Concordia University's Fall 2019 semester, and I am teaching two classes of Writing 121, which is the introduction composition course for first year students.

As such, I have a new mix.

Beyond today, this mix will serve to be opening day and course theme music for all my teaching at all of my schools, such as Lower Columbia College in Longview, Washington.

"Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen has been my theme song, my first day song, my anthem for teaching for a very, very long time. Probably since Pump Up The Volume came out in 1990.

I had a previous EVERYBODY KNOWS mix (video pod player below), but apparently I never did a blog entry for it. As such, I will neglect a track list for now. Maybe I will use it as a separate Musical Monday in the future, if I don't forget about it.

I decided the make a new mix for 2019, which has a heavy rotation of songs that my wife has brought to my life and for which I give her credit.

Following, the previous mix, a reprinted previous post with just the song "Everybody Knows",  then the new mix, and then, lastly, a ton of images and pictures, some by me, most by others. These are just here to look at and ponder. No explanation. But I can scroll through them if I display this blog entry in class, so that's a bonus win.

Here we go.

Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year.

THE PREVIOUS MIX:




"Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows"





https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2016/09/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-440.html

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #440 - 'Everybody Knows" - Musical Monday for 1609.19

Hi Mom,

Just one song for today's Musical Monday, which is being posted on Friday 1609.23.

I have fallen several days behind due to an enormous load of grading, including a larger than normal set of final grades due Thursday morning AND falling behind by not completing last week's work, especially due to being "ill" on Sunday.

I first heard of this Leonard Cohen song, "Everybody Knows," in the Allan Moyle film Pump Up The Volume, featured in the two visuals on this page, a film from 1990 starring Christian Slater and Samantha Mathis.

I became entranced by the song and started playing it in my classes first thing every semester, adopting it as a theme song much in the way it was a theme song for the character Hard Harry's pirate radio show in the film.

More in subsequent posts as I catch up, Mom.

But here's the song. If you don't know it, give it a listen.

"Everybody Knows" - LIVE IN LONDON




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reflect and connect.
Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
I miss you so very much, Mom.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 442 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower -1609.19 - 10:10
NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.



New mix link and video pod player:

Everybody Knows 2019 - Musical Monday for starting school - 1908.26




1. Leonard Cohen - Everybody knows
2. Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
3. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - Tha Crossroads [Sesame Street Version]
4. Thievery Corporation - Voyage Libre
5. MS MR - Hurricane
6. K-Hole - CocoRosie
7. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
8. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up
9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
10. AIMEE MANN - "Ghost World" live in Bochum 14. Nov. 2013
11. Nerina Pallot - Geek Love (Live At SWR3 New Pop Festival)
12. Pixies - Velouria
13. Radiohead - "The Bends" (Later... with Jools Holland '95) HD
14. Paul Weller - Bowie
15. Kooley High - Days Passed Me By
16. Camila Cabello - Havana (Vertical Video) ft. Young Thug
17. CON TODA PALABRA
18. PJ Harvey - Sheela Na Gig
19. The Doubleclicks & 50 Artists - Women Know Math
20. London Grammar - Wasting My Young Years
21. Lesley Gore - You Don't Own Me
22. Sleater Kinney - More Than a Feeling
23. QUARTERFLASH - Harden My Heart (1982)
24. Sarah Vaughan "I've Got The World On A String" 1981 NSJF
25. Josie And The Pussycats - Inside, Outside, Upside Down
26. Holly Herndon - Morning Sun
27. The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter
28. Mogwai // Ether


















































+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1908.26 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1514 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: