Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #19 - - Assorted Stuff #1


family vacation - 1972
Long Lake, Traverse City, Michigan
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #19 - Assorted Stuff #1

Hi Mom, When I started this blog nineteen days ago, I meant it to be like our phone calls. I called nearly every day to talk to you, and I wanted to continue to talk to you, feeling strongly that you are still listening. But the first eighteen posts have been focused on grief and the Memorial Service more so than just the every day nonesuch of our lives. I have been alternating a piece of my talk from the Memorial Service every other day, but I am deviating from that pattern today.

Next up from the service is the mints story, for which I would like a picture of mints on a kitchen counter, but I cannot accomplish that task quite yet today. I have a Calculus test this afternoon that I will surely fail, even if I study more. But even so, I don't have the heart to write a lot today.

I suddenly started crying this morning when I told Liesel that I love her.

I miss you, Mom.

I would not be able to get through this loss without Liesel.

I am going to run some errands, walk the puppy, and do some studying for this test. Though in keeping with my plans, I am not going to make myself miserable studying.

In other news, Dad has agreed to go with me to Traverse City for two days at end of next month, and so I thought a picture of us at Long Lake in Traverse City was in order. We used to live there, as you know but my readers may not. This is the beach at that house on Long Lake. I love how you are dressed. Channeling Jackie Kennedy. This is one of your classic looks. I will never forget that yellow head scarf or the back top. You are so beautiful.

Even though I have my eyes closed, this is a good picture of us all. I am ten years old. Lori is two, almost three, as you wrote so carefully on the back of this photo in your lovely handwriting, which I can show here because I have the technology!

You were very specific. Lori is two years and a 11 and a half months old, which tells me that this was taken in July around the middle of the month, possibly a day like today, which is July 24th.

I miss your careful and precise handwriting. We practiced handwriting after the meningitis for a long time. I have pages of your post-meningitis handwriting to share here, and I will.

I wish I had taken the time to go through all these old photos with you in the last fifteen years. More on that subject in a future blog post.

Lastly, I am starting a new thing for the blog. Each day when I called I would tell Dad to give you a kiss and tell you I love you, unless you were listening, and then I would tell you. I want to start ending the blog that way as it's meant to be like our phone calls, and I still mean these words with all of my heart.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 20 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1507.24 - 10:09

No comments: