Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to my Mother #21 - Tigers Game 1507.17




Hey, Mom! Talking to my Mother #21 - Tigers Game 1507.17

Hi Mom,

You know, I love Baseball.

On July 4th, the day you died, both of my favorite teams, the Detroit Tigers and the Chicago Cubs, won their games. I almost wrote the following and sent it via Twitter:

"My mom may have died today, but at least both the Tigers and the Cubs both won. Thanks for trying to cheer me up, Baseball."
But I didn't write it.

It seemed silly, trivial. Baseball is hardly important on the day you died, Mom. And yet, I watched some of the game with Tom and Sam, and we had a cook out. I even tried to play some D&D, but we didn't get very far. I even did some work. I had grades due.

Almost two weeks later, I went to a game, shown in these pictures. The Tigers won this game, too. That's a happiness. I need happiness right now.

I am blessed with good friends. And so, even before you died, Mom, my friend Matt Frayer asked me to go with him to a Tigers game on Friday, July 17th. The seats were amazing. There were two other guys with us, so four in all. They are not pictured. No one seemed in the mood for a group shot.

Look how close we were to the field. Third row back, which is like basically sitting on the field.






It was glorious.

I did some walking about. I like to take at least one loop around the stadium concourse. I was in search of ice cream, which I knew you would appreciate, but the line was too long, so I bought a Slushee instead. It was cold and refreshing, which is what I was after. And there was a lot of it, so that was also a bonus. I ate a hamburger, an Italian sausage with peppers and onions, and a small pizza. I also drank a Pepsi, which may be the only one so far this summer. I am trying to avoid Pepsi, which you will be happy to know as I drank so much of it as a young person. In fact, you bought me so much of it. Did I ever thank you for all that Pepsi?

On my walk around the stadium, I stopped to photograph the statues of the Hall of Fame Tigers players.

I want to take Dad to the stadium, but that may have to wait for next year. He would love the bronze statues.

You know, Dad and I will think of you, talk about you, feel you with us, and even talk TO you every time we do something together or go somewhere. I wish the meningitis had not happened to you. I know you would have loved the food in the Tigers Club at Comerica Park, which is more like country club food.

I would have loved to take you to the park just to eat in the Tigers Club. I did not eat there on this trip, but I may when I take Dad.

Our seats were amazing. We could look right into the dug out. I took the next shot from my seat. I was that close. I waved at Justin Verlander, but he did not see me.

 The Tigers were playing the Orioles, and they won 7-3. JD Martinez made some amazing catches, one robbing Chris Davis of a home run.

I was just about to say to the other guys sitting with me that José Iglesias, who had one home run, was due for a second when he hit it. Boom! Three run homer.

Both Victor and JD Martinez also homered. Gose hit two doubles. Sanchez pitched six decent innings only giving up two runs on eight hits and two walks with three strikeouts.

It was country and western night. We did not stay for the fireworks, but we saw them as we were walking back to the car.

I probably won't get to another game this year.

I made you watch a lot of Baseball with me in the last 15 years, Mom.

I miss you.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

This entry was composed while listening to radio aporee and this thunderstorm recording.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 22 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1507.26 - 13:07

No comments: