Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, December 24, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2867 - BOX OF COMICS - Christmas Eve 2022 - Reprints and other Randomness



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2867 - 
BOX OF COMICS - Christmas Eve 2022 - Reprints and other Randomness

Happy Christmas Eve!

Today, I am reprinting these two posts linked directly below that also reprint multiple other posts: most of the Christmas stuff in the history of the Sense of Doubt blog and the T-Shirts blog:

Thursday, December 24, 2020



Friday, December 24, 2021

For me, as a child, Christmas Eve was a night of torment. I would sleep only a few hours, and then I would be awake for hours (usually starting about 2 or 3 a.m.) anxiously anticipating Christmas morning, which by mandate of  my parents could not happen until 6 a.m.

So, my mother wisely always let me open ONE gift on Christmas Eve, which was ALWAYS a box of comic books, which, she hoped, would keep me busy for three-four hours as I waited for the time when I could wake my parents. My father was often more exhausted than my mother as he was up late playing Santa, which often involved putting things together like a play kitchen set for my sister or a play Bat Cave for me.

So, Christmas Eve means reading and comics.

Not that I do not read comics nearly every day anyway, but I always read them on Christmas Eve as a tradition started by my parents.

Thus, I was thrilled to learn that the Icelanders have a name for the "reading holiday": Jólabókaflóðið, meaning Christmas Book Flood as shared by Powell's:

From Powell's:


Jólabókaflóðið is an Icelandic tradition (also referred to as a Christmas book flood) of gifting books on December 24, then curling up to read them with hot chocolate. Unsurprisingly, we love this. 

We love this translated word, and we love these translated works. We recommend combining these loves, and celebrating the book flood by exploring the world of translated literature. Browse 128 bookseller favorites below (each photo links to a different collection). Enjoy!



Though the Icelandic holiday was more about the flood of books for gifts prior to Christmas each year, the association of reading and the "silent night' holiday is the same.

And so I dedicate this post to reading and the BOX OF COMICS.

For the topper image, I used a display at my favorite comic shop in the world -- Fanfare Comics in Kalamazoo -- and its display of back issues for sale (many of which I own).

And now I reprint most of the Christmas and Christmas Eve content with more tomorrow.

Thanks for tuning!

Enjoy.

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN: Thursday, December 24, 2020


Me and Lori reading comics 1976

 A Sense of Doubt blog post #2137 - CHRISTMAS EVE 2020 - Reprint and PORTLAND 2020

INAUGURATION COUNTDOWN

27 DAYS to inauguration

Hello there. Thanks for tuning in. I am running a bit behind because of Christmas preparations.

Originally this post was just going to be a reprint of the traditional BOX OF COMICS I would get on Christmas Eve from my parents, and how this year that's what my Dad got for me: picture and IG post below.

I decided to add some more IG (Instagram) posts after a day in Portland yesterday (2012.23) doing last minute Christmas shopping.

So here's the result of all that. I see a typo in one of my IG posts. I hate that.

Also, the last pic is the line to get into Powell's, which was no so bad, really.

Thanks for tuning in.



















































Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #170 - Box of comics on Christmas Eve

I think it's worth noting the Jack Kirby Black Panther comic and the issue of Howard the Duck in the picture above.

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #170 - Box of comics on Christmas Eve

me and Lori, reading
8-9-1971

Hi Mom,

You remember everything I am about to write, Mom, of course, but for those who read the blog who did not know us growing up, I want to share about our family tradition of a box of comics for Christmas Eve.

Every year, you would wrap presents early, Mom, giving us at least a week (and sometimes more) to shake and ponder the contents of the many packages under the Christmas tree in eager anticipation of that magical December morning.

Christmas 1972

Given my buggy intensity leading up to Christmas, and later Lori's, you would let each of us open one gift on Christmas Eve, which was always a box of comic books. In your estimation, this was the ideal gift, as I would sleep at best from bed time to about 3 a.m. at which point I would wake and need something to do. And so, I would have a box of comic books to read. I wish I had a picture of some of these boxes of comic books or of me reading stacks of comics on Christmas Eve. The picture up top of me and Lori shows comics on the floor nearby, though we are not actively reading them, we had been. But the picture is from November (or before) and not Christmas Eve. But I have some other neat pictures that I will share.

You had a good idea with the box of comics, Mom. Between this tradition, reading to me at bed time, buying little books and comics for me at eat grocery trip, and later my allowance based on the cost of two comic books (a quarter = two 12 cent comics and a penny for tax), I grew up to become a great lover of comic books, which are still (often) magical and beautiful to me.

Thank you, Mom. You changed my life. You instilled in me a great love for comic books.

Christmas 1976
Unwrapping with Mom

 In the above picture, we have begun to go through our stockings from Santa Claus. Mom, you liked order, and so we had bowls to collect our candy and fruit. The large apples and oranges were a Christmas tradition, always one of each in our stocking. As you can see near my side, I have two apples -- a red one and a green one -- and an orange. Mom is helping Lori fill her bowl with the items in her stocking.

Christmas 1976


Taking pictures following the celebration (usually over a week or more later) was also a Christmas tradition. Here's that same Christmas. I am posing with the presents I received. You can see Pong, the first computer video game, in the lower left corner, Mom. And if you look closely, the comics from that Christmas Eve box are spread out from left to right just behind Pong and all along the front of the display. I am holding a magical illusion with three silks that I cannot remember the name of.

With Tim Travis Jan 1976

 Here's a picture of me from January of 1976 (so about 12 months before the Christmas pictured above), probably celebrating my birthday with my friend Tim Travis, assessing my comic book collection. This picture was taken in the spare room in the basement where I could entertain friends and practice my magic. Note that stacks of games behind us. Also, note an issue of Warlock at the far upper left end of the pile. Full circle? I received a shirt with Warlock's picture for Christmas this year in 2015.

My Birthday 1974

Another traditional pose shot following my 1974 birthday (I am 12; Lori is four). All the gifts are mine except the tutu and ballerina case on the far right. That was a gift for Lori, revealing another tradition as we would always receive one present at the other child's birthday so not to feel left out.
Notice the display of comics along the top of that couch. The issue of the Flash that I am holding in the previous picture with Tim is on the far right end of the couch in this picture. Also, in another full circle moment, I received a Morbius t-shirt for Christmas this year (2015), commemorating the comic book seen directly above the Marie Osmond Paper Roses record album.

I think the grouping of presents here is very interesting. There's a ventriloquist dummy that catches your eye, dead center. To the left, there's a watch and its case. Above that, a narrated comic book record album of Batman. A huge '70s mod card. Some books. To the right of the dummy, the aforementioned Marie Osmond album, Lone Ranger and Tonto and some Batman diorama. Above my head, a boxer from the Big Jim collection, Captain America, and Tarzan.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 172 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1512.24 - 10:10

Comic books on display - 1976




A Sense of Doubt blog post #1771 - "White Christmas" - The Drifters - THAT ONE THING  - Christmas Eve 2019

The Drifters were one of the most important doo-wop and R&B bands in history.

According to the Vocal Group Hall of Fame: "Through turmoil and changes, the (original) Drifters managed to set musical trends and give the public 13 chart hits, most of which are legendary recordings today."[4] Matching that feat, subsequent formations of the Drifters recorded 13 Billboard Hot 100 top 30 chart hits. The 1950s and 60s incarnations of the group were also a force on the US R&B charts, notching six number one R&B hits: "Money Honey" (1953), "Honey Love" (1954), "Adorable" (1955), "There Goes My Baby" (1959), "Save The Last Dance For Me" (1960) and "Under The Boardwalk" (1964).

This is the THAT ONE THING for Christmas Eve by the greatest crooner crew of all time.


 
Here's CHRISTMAS EVE posts from previous years:

2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1403 - Christmas Mix for Musical Monday for 1812.24
2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #902 - And again Ellory Queen
2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #536 - Tower Christmas at L&N Beard's 2016
2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #170 - Box of comics on Christmas Eve

2014

No post

2013 - T-shirts blog

T-shirt #278 - Three Wise Men? Be Serious






+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1912.24 - 10:10
- Days ago = 1634 days ago

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2012.24 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2001 days ago

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN:  - Friday, December 24, 2021




Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1233 (SoD #2502) - Holiday Reprints for Christmas Eve


Hi Mom, Today's post is one you would like best as it is a collection of many Christmas-themed post from the history of the blog.


And so, what we have here is...

The image above, which is awesome, and if you don't get it, find the Kurt Russell movie with John Carpenter from the early Eighties that is depicted. Trust me. It's funny.

First up, a 2019 post with lots of superhero memes!

Followed by the Christmas post from 2020.

The actual Christmas post for 2019 follows that one, with one of my favorite pictures of you, Mom.

Then the MUSICAL MONDAY post from 2019 featuring the topper image from The Thing. There I told you.

FESTIVUS!!!


That post also included reprints from 2018 - SCHWEDDY BALLS.

And more reprints with MY PEANUTS MIX!

Then a 2018 post with SATCHEL in her Christmas sweater. So adorbs!

And the two amazing Daniela Andrade songs with a very cute dog.

A throwback post from 2017 with old photos of visits to Santa and Mrs. Claus.

Another 2017, first Christmas here at Blacktail, which includes the recap of links posted in 2015, first Christmas without you, Mom.

A 2017 post from my visit to Michigan.

Another 2017 post with an old Christmas photo.

A 2016 post sharing one of the best photos I have from Turkeyville!

So that's the ticket!

Here's a ton of past Christmas posts!!!

Happy Christmas Eve or Happy Holidays as you celebrate whatever and whichever holidays best suit you and your world view.

Oh and here's SATCHEL again, because... just because...


Thursday, December 5, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1752 - Happy Holidays Collection - Superheroes (mostly)



A Sense of Doubt blog post #1752 - Happy Holidays Collection - Superheroes (mostly)

I downloaded a bunch of memes and images today for sharing with students in final exams and other places.

Here you go...

Because GRADING ROBOT has little time to DISCUSS the images.














+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1912.05 - 10:10
- Days ago = 1615 days ago
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Friday, December 25, 2020

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1219 (SoD #2138) - CHRISTMAS 2020

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/51017408259648526/

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1219 (SoD #2138) - CHRISTMAS 2020

INAUGURATION COUNTDOWN

26 DAYS to inauguration

Merry Christmas. "And God bless us everyone!"

Hi Mom,

Not a lot of writing to you today. But thinking of you, a lot.

Just this. Not much extra. It's Christmas.



[1] "Joy to the World" - Whitney Houston
[2] "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" - Ella Fitzgerald
[3] "White Christmas" (Motown Records 1965) - The Supremes
[4] "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" - The Temptations
[5] "Silver Bells" - Stevie Wonder
[6] "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" - The Jackson 5
[7] "Jingle Bells" - Smokey Robinson
[8] "Silent Night" - Mariah Carey
[9] "My Favorite Things" - John Legend
[10] "Frosty The Snowman" - Nat King Cole
[11] "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" (from Home for Christmas) - Johnny Mathis
[12] "Winter Wonderland" - Louis Armstrong









When it comes to holiday classics and their covers, any song sung by Whitney Houston, Ella Fitzgerald, Stevie Wonder, or John Legend is going to be an improvement on the original. With these tried and true standards, black artists take holiday song traditions—remixing and redoing them—and create new classics out of something old and staid.

Whether through Motown’s Northern Soul or putting the funk in a holiday function, Black artists are known for taking these standards and making new soulful traditions. From The Temptations to the Jackson 5, there is so much jazz and R&B influence in each rendition that no matter how many times you listen to them you’re always going to find something to love. You can bump the “classics” as much as you like, but it’s undeniable that these 12 recreations blow them out of the water.

“Joy To The World” is not a song that I would normally associate with dancing. It’s more of a swaying type of church song, and not the gospel genius that Whitney Houston creates in her rendition. This song is the superior version because of the way she uses funk and soul while also maintaining the midnight mass feel. The breathy opening before the first beat drop could make anyone skeptical of what was to come, but it quickly becomes a gospel ballad that makes you want to get up and dance.

Ella Fitzgerald makes this rendition of “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” feel like a jazzy hug. Judy Garland’s original in Meet Me In St. Louis (one of my favorite movies), is full of longing and disappointment like it’s a sad song. Fitzgerald’s version is one you could put on in any festive setting and hum along with the words as they danced through the air. Unlike other Christmas songs, whether they be originals or covers, “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” doesn’t rely on excessive use of sleigh bells or other percussion and we as listeners know that this is a Christmas song based on lyrics alone.

When “White Christmas” opens and the first notes roll out, the melody is so comforting and the sultry yet somehow innocent voices pull the listener further in. It feels like the song is giving you a hug and then wrapped it in a pretty bow. There is no sense of urgency in this song. The slow melody, rhythm, and lyrics make it feel exactly like what Christmas is supposed to be. The Supremes end the bridge with harmonizing notes and bring back the chorus in a slow and almost faded tone. The fact that it still instills the spirit of other renditions within the song while still standing out as something of its own.

So I might be the most biased person here because “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer” is my favorite Christmas song ever. I first heard this song when I was about eight years old. My dad would play it on a record he had and would yell out “Hey Rudolph!” at any and all opportunity, continuing even after the song had ended. It’s also the definition of throwing a party. There’s nothing holding you back from dancing like a fool. It reigns supreme because no matter what part you pay attention to, you’re going to find something that makes you smile. Can you seriously say that you don’t want to punch the air with glee at each “Hey Rudolph?”

Sixty’s era Stevie Wonder brings soul to the table regardless of what he’s singing. From originals to “Silver Bells,” he just can do no wrong. With that in mind, this rendition of “Silver Bells” is just straight soul from the strings to the high-hat beat. I had never really paid attention to the lyrics of the song until I heard this version. It feels similar to that of “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” because it could be played in the background and hummed along to or belted out with those around. I’m not sure what it is about Christmas music that when the lyrics and rhythm are slowed down makes it feel more like the artist is singing to the listener.

My whole childhood—before my father told me he was “soul brother Santa”—I was reminded every day that Santa was going to come and if I wasn’t nice I wouldn’t get any presents. Which as one could imagine, caused an uproar in a house of three girls. At this point, it feels like The Jackson 5 are the ambassadors of falsetto Christmas music. Regardless, this song ranks miles above the rest of the renditions because of the undeniable catchiness, powerful chorus, and danceable qualities.


The beginning of this song sounds like the opening of “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” but Smokey Robinson’s voice cuts through the noise of some of the other renditions. The original tune is so damn catchy that sometimes I start singing it randomly in July and wonder what the hell is wrong with me. This version doesn’t do that to me, in fact, it makes singing it and listening to it an enjoyable experience because of its originality. Usually, I tune out the second verse of the song if I am not listening to this version because it doesn’t matter to me. However, I actually know the words to this one because there is nothing more satisfying than being able to sing a whole song from beginning to end, especially if it’s really good.

Mariah Carey practically owns Christmas, that’s just a fact. I associate some renditions of “Silent Night” with parts of Hallmark movies where the main character has some sort of epiphany or when my grandmother would take me to midnight mass in St. Louis. But this song feels like a slow burn R&B version of a Christmas song and Carey seems to be transitioning into more of an R&B singer as she becomes less of a pop-star. Keeping in mind that this version was originally released in 1993, Carey somehow makes it still exude sexy-Auntie-Claus energy in 2020.

As someone who grew up in the early 2000s and lived in the beginning of the Instagram era, I, for a very brief second, forgot that John Legend had a career outside of being Chrissy Teigen’s husband. I associate “My Favorite Things,” with that scene in The Sound Of Music. Part of me does wonder why this is a Christmas song. Other than the fact that it talks about the things that the person wants, all it really does, for me at least, is bring me back to a soaking wet Julie Andrews. But because it is a Christmas song, it ranks at the top of the list of renditions because of Legend’s jazzy tones morphed into his 2019 pop transformation in 2018.

This song is the epitome of fun, children’s Christmas songs, and Cole does a fantastic job at delivering. It opens with pitched-up voices that weave their way back into the song during the chorus, giving a throughline of childlike joy. Cole’s voice is light and airy as if you could see him smiling while recording. His use of big brass instruments like trumpets and tubas emphasizes the movements of Frosty. It’s brilliant.

This version “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas” has always made me feel like I was the main character in a Christmas movie. I can see and feel and hear the holly on the doorstep of my non-existent house. If you close your eyes and listen, everywhere really does look like Christmas in Mathis’s rendition. This year has been difficult in getting into the holiday spirit. There isn’t much walking around and gazing at the lights for fear of spreading or catching Miss Rona. But, if we can’t walk around and actually see how it actually looks a lot like Christmas, we can at least close our eyes, listen to this song and pretend.

Anything that Louis Armstrong does is at the top of a list, especially “Winter Wonderland.” One of the most recognizable things about this song is how easy it is to harmonize with it. It is comparable to Ella Fitzgerald’s version of the song, but it has a deeper and almost comical twist to it because of his unique voice and cadence. His voice beautifully melds with the repetitive melody in the background and new layers are added at each new verse and chorus. Armstrong is able to take a very upbeat and almost pop-like song and turn it into a smooth jazz Christmas tune.







BONUS TUNE....

DakhaBrakha - Vesna


DakhaBrakha
51.8K subscribers

Director Diana Rudychenko

Слідкуйте за нами:
https://dakhabrakha.com.ua/

Ой весняночка, де твоя дочка,
Погнала бичків за ворітечк(а).
Пасіться бички, я спраду мички,
Свойму милому на рукавичк(и).
Ой ти весна, ти красна,
А що ж ти нам вонєсла.
Я й вонєсло, вонєсло,
Три користі радості.
Три користі, радості,
Й одна користь пастушок.
Й одна користь пастушок,
Друга користь ратає.
Друга користь ратає,
Третя користь бортнічок.
А ратай оре сокає,
А бортнік творе, токає.

TRANSLATION

Oh spring girl, where is your daughter,
Ой весняночка, де твоя дочка,

Chased the bulls by the gate (a).
Погнала бичків за ворітечк(а).
Graze the bulls, I'll sell the mice,
Пасіться бички, я спраду мички,

To my darling on the glove (s).
Свойму милому на рукавичк(и).
Oh you spring, you red,
Ой ти весна, ти красна,

And what did you bring us.
А що ж ти нам вонєсла.
I and carried, carried,
Я й вонєсло, вонєсло,

Three benefits of joy.
Три користі радості.
Three benefits, joys,
Три користі, радості,

And one benefit of shepherdesses.
Й одна користь пастушок.
And one benefit of shepherdesses,
Й одна користь пастушок,

The second benefit saves.
Друга користь ратає.
The second benefit saves,
Друга користь ратає,

The third benefit of sideboards.
Третя користь бортнічок.
And the plowman plows,
А ратай оре сокає,

And the sideboard creates, weaves.
А бортнік творе, токає.















A Sense of Doubt blog post #1772 - Christmas 2019



A Sense of Doubt blog post #1772 - Christmas 2019

I think it's great that some of my posts are simply basic and short. What more is there to say? Images carry the message.

Links for the past Christmas blog posts follow.

Merry Christmas to everyone.



2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1141 - Christmas 2018
2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #903 - Christmas 2017 and Musical Monday
2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #537 - New family member: Ellory Queen Tower


2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #171 - A FAMILY CHRISTMAS 2013



2014

No post

2013 - T-shirts blog

T-shirt #279: thirtysomething - Merry Christmas



This year... Noodle


Satchel



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1912.25 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1634 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1192 (S0D #1770) - Musical Monday for Monday December 23 2019 - A Christmas Combo


I am not explaining this because either you get or you don't or you spend some time
Googling Kurt Russell movies until you find out how HILARIOUS this is. If you don't know it, download the image. The giveaway is in the file name.

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1192 (S0D #1770) - Musical Monday for Monday December 23 2019 - A Christmas Combo

I have not posted a HEY MOM post since Thanksgiving and SoD (Sense of Doubt) #1745.

Merry Christmas to everyone unless Christmas is not your thing and than happy tidings for whatever holiday of the twenty-nine holidays from the seven major religions that you celebrate, as in:



I do not have much extra to say here, so mainly this post will be about a few remarks of preface and then last year's content. I was rather proud of last year's content, so I am happy to present it again.

Mainly, I send love to everyone I know and all those I do not know.

I am writing this post on Christmas Day, a few days after the date of this one's publication, and I have added several new songs to the 2018 Christmas mix, including this one, added at the last minute before publishing, when my friend Helene Dunbar threatened to fight any one not willing to accept that this is the greatest holiday song of all time:

Frankie goes to Hollywood - "The Power of Love"






Scroll down for TWO mixes; it's a combo.


WE MUST REMEMBER WHAT'S GOING ON AROUND USAND  DO SOMETHING:

So this post collects my two holiday posts from 2018 with changes to the mix from SoD on 1812.24. Find additional songs below plus a track list. I follow with the core of the second post with a track list for the Guaraldi music for the Charlie Brown and Peanuts Christmas special.

Here's the original links.

Text or original post #1403:

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1403 - Christmas Mix for Musical Monday for 1812.24

I will be honest.

This mix started with the Nina Hagen song when my wife was playing it on the #@#!! Alexa (technically, the Amazon Echo).

I built it out from that starting point. I knew I was going to add the two Star Trek mashups, but hey, an AVENGERS mashup??? Yes, please.

Groot Groot GROOT. I am GRoot. GROOT, groot groot.

And then the other pieces fell into place with many of my standards: The Pogues, Bowie and Bing, Pretenders, Bruce Springsteen, Band Aid, Kate Bush, Queen. Sure. But then Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly doing Bowie and Bing.... OH MY GOD, did I know about this??

And while we're on the subject of SNL, just this, here on the blog entry because it might actually get looked at if even just by me next year.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
You're welcome. Even if you already know it but have not seen it in a while.
YES.



I had some help with the images from my friend Wayne and a cool retro SF site on Facebook.

What else is there to say about this mix? Greg Lake and Ian Anderson??? Awesome.
Skipped some usuals like Cocteau Twins and Carly Simon, but maybe I add those back next year.

I am especially pleased with finds like the Drifters and Luther Vandross.

Of course, I LOVE Daniela Andrade. AWESOME. And I featured her last week in another post.

But Tom Waits, Stevie Wonder, some Peanuts music, and one of Liesel's favorites "Patapan" by Mindy Gledhill, which is fantastic.

via GIPHY

Enjoy the music!!



My Christmas Mix for 2018

Above this text is the URL link to the You Tube instance and below this text is the video pod player for the entire playlist followed by all the videos if that's how you jam.




TRACK LISTING


1. Captain Picard sings "Let it Snow!"
2. Cocteau Twins - Winter Wonderland
3. Queen - Thank God It's Christmas
4. Christmas Time Is Here - Daniela Andrade
5. "White Christmas" - The Drifters
6. The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York (Official Video)
7. The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping (Music Video)
8. Luther Vandross - The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You) A&M Records 1992
9. Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? HD HQ
10. All I Want For Christmas is You :: Star Trek Mashup
11. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Cover) by Daniela Andrade
12. Bing Crosby & David Bowie - "The Little Drummer Boy (Peace On Earth)"
13. Martina McBride - O Holy Night
14. Kate Bush - December Will Be Magic Again (1979 Xmas Special)
15. Vince Guaraldi Trio "Christmas Time Is Here" (vocal version from A Charlie Brown Christmas)
16. Mindy Gledhill - Patapan
17. Tom Waits - Silent Night & Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
18. Carly Simon - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! (Live On The Queen Mary 2)
19. The Avengers Sing Christmas Carols
20. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Für Elise
21. The Futureheads - Christmas Was Better In The 80s
22. nina hagen - oh christmas tree
23. Amy Winehouse - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
24. Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town - 2007
25. COCTEAU TWINS - FROSTY THE SNOWMAN
26. Stevie Wonder, Andra Day - Someday At Christmas
27. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Canon (Official Music Video)
28. The Pretenders - 2000 Miles (Official Music Video)
29. Greg Lake - Ian Anderson - I believe in Father Christmas 
30. The Pogues Featuring Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York
31. Goldfrapp - Winter Wonderland
32. The Pretenders - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Music Video)
33. Frankie goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love
34. Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy with Will Ferrell & John C. Reilly




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1812.24 - 10:10
- Days ago = 1269 days ago
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Text or original post #1396:


A Sense of Doubt blog post #1396 - Christmastime Is Here - part two


Okay, I am putting this here, just because I want to remember it

LA BEAT GENERATION AND THE CATALAN MYSTICAL POTS

https://elspotolsmistics.blogspot.com/




Hello, time for a bit more Christmas cheer.

Normally, I do a musical mix today. I have many in various states of completion ready to go. Maybe the best use of some free time while off the daily grind of blog broadcast will be to prepare ahead some of these treasures, such as a revisit of the Jam mix with commentary on each song; the Coccteau Twin mix, which is mostly complete; and others like the one I just started with Sinead O'Connor's "Fourth and Vine" as the core or the mix I have been playing for at least a year with Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" as the foundation.

So today, I thought I would start the Christmas theme with some of my favorite tunes from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. I tend to listen to this music year around, but more often at Christmas. After all, "Linus and Lucy" was Liesel and my outro (recessional) music at our wedding.

I love this music.
Watching the Charlie Brown Christmas Special is required viewing for me every year.

Also required, the re-read -- these days on audio -- of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I will be doing so very soon. Or perhaps a reading via YOU TUBE.

OR... I just bought it on AMAZON. Here's a clip.




or this....



I have sampled many versions of A Christmas Carol, but so far the one narrated by Tim Curry is my favorite.








MY PEANUTS MIX

TRACK LISTING

1. Vince Guaraldi Trio "Christmas Time Is Here" (vocal version from A Charlie Brown Christmas)
2. Vince Guaraldi Trio - O Tannenbaum
3. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Christmas Time Is Here (Instrumental)
4. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Linus And Lucy
5. Vince Guaraldi Trio - What Child Is This
6. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Skating
7. Vince Guaraldi Trio - My Little Drum
8. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Christmas Is Coming
9. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Für Elise
10. Vince Guaraldi Trio - Greensleeves
11. Peanuts Gang : Christmas Song "Linus & Lucy"
12. Christmas Time Is Here (Instrumental)


There's a couple of songs in the mix on You Tube not featured in the individual videos below, but scroll down for LoFi and other goodies!!

So, as I complete some other original materials and also do my jobs for which I am paid, presumably, then here's some of the GREATEST music EVER WRITTEN.










Christmas St. Antoine 2011 - two months after we moved in


EDITED............... some images repeated

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1812.17 - 10:10
- Days ago = 1262 days ago
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 2002 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2012.25 - 10:10

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Sunday, December 16, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1138 - Christmastime Is Here - Hey Mom Reprint


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1138 - Christmastime Is Here - Hey Mom Reprint - sense of doubt #1395

So, like I wrote yesterday, though I am still working on original content, I am filling in with quick and easy to make posts.

I decided that for this Hey Mom reprint the ambitious repost of the Eerie horror magazine adding in visuals and material from the Creepy magazine was too much. So instead, I dialed back to 2015, the year you died, Mom, to grab the most interesting posting from around the same time as this date, right now.

And of course, SATCHEL is always interesting. And this post was made before we got Ellory.

The house is filled with love.

Happy Christmas!

Originally published as Hey Mom #165 on December 19th 2015, 167 days after you passed on, Mom,



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #165 - Christmas Time is Here

Hi Mom,

I am behind. I managed some posts during exam week but then FINAL GRADING HELL set in and I am more behind than I have ever been in creating this blog. It is Christmas Eve, Thursday, December 24th as I type this and I am posting for December 19th.

Maybe I lost some momentum because I am sad at posting holiday posts knowing this means you're not here, Mom.

But this will cheer us up: The amazing Daniela Andrade and a cute puppy (though not as cute as mine, so there her is in her Christmas sweater).


Christmas Time Is Here - Daniela Andrade ft. Cutest Dog in the Galaxy


and adding this one, too.




Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 167 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1512.19 - 10:10



Thursday, November 30, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #878 - Christmas time is here - Throwback Thursday for 1711.30
Christmas 1972

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #878 - Christmas time is here - Throwback Thursday for 1711.30

Hi Mom,

In recent months, since moving out west, I have moved away from original content, at least as something I manage to feature often. I am always prioritizing work and falling behind and then when I scramble to catch up, I go with easy re-posts. I like sharing other people's content. It provides me with reading material, and in the future, it will provide serendipity as I come across something I either forgot about or forgot to read when I originally posted it. Also, the sharing feels like show and tell: "hey, look, here's this thing I like. I think you will like it, too."

But when I do too much sharing of the content of others without enough commentary by me, I feel like my blog is running on fumes and that maybe the daily schedule is no longer a viable plan for me in terms of how it fits into my new life.

Yadda yadda. I have whined about these things before.

If I do cease daily operations of this feature, it would not be with entry #878. Seems anti-climactic.

Meanwhile, I persevere. I find some down time. I hug puppies. I spend time with my wife. I eat some good food. And the kids start to unpack the Christmas decorations and get the house ready.

Just when I thought I would rewrite the purpose of this blog because I don't really feel like I am on a grief journey anymore -- it's been over two years -- then I see Christmas decorations, I see these photos, and I start missing you all the more, Mom.

Hard to feel too sorry for myself though given that a friend of mine died this week suddenly and  unexpectedly leaving behind a wife who loved him dearly and two young children. Missing you Mom, now, two years later, seems trivial and almost insulting to them. So I keep it all in perspective. I get to miss you, but I acknowledge how much greater and more devastating is their tragedy. And they're not the only ones with losses. There are countless other stories that do not compare with mine.

So maybe this why I steer clear of these self-examinations, eh? They seem self indulgent and unnecessary.

But I still miss you, Mom.

And I bought my plane tickets.

I am going back to Michigan for a visit.

Meanwhile, our Christmas tree is up and it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here.

Goodbye November.

Christmas 1973

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 880 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1711.30 - 10:10

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Monday, December 25, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #903 - Christmas 2017 and Musical Monday
Christmas Eve -2017 - 1712.24

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #903 - Christmas 2017 and Musical Monday

Hi Mom,

Liesel found this amazing Hildegarde von Bingen piece directly below, which led me to accumulate some other pieces plus Grove of Whispers from Warren Ellis yesterday, which led me to a page with a Bandcamp Daily post about Demen (and OH MY IS THAT GREAT).

I am still in low power mode, trying to confine myself to as few words as possible.

Yesterday, Liesel and I spent a magical and quiet day watching movies, eating baked goods, and enjoying candle light and movies. I finally watched Cold Mountain. We also watched an Amazon original - The Lost City of Z.

I considered re-posting any one or all of these past Christmas posts. Yesterday's post on Ellory was a re-post of 2016's Christmas Day post. Below are links to four posts I am rather proud of from 2015 (plus one from 2016), when, just months after your death, Mom, I was really hurting and yet basking in the great love of family. Two years removed from that time (WOW, I have been doing this daily blog for OVER two years), I am in a much better place. I do miss you, Mom, but the hurt is not raw anymore.

I believe in the power of love. There's magic here in my house because of that love and because of this the great web of connection through time, space, spirits, and memory. As Yeats said, "Spiritus mundi."

Bring joy; find joy.

Still, these links speak to my Christmas experiences.

And this music is great.

To all my loved ones near and far, Merry Christmas and a the happiest of holidays.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #170 - Box of comics on Christmas Eve

Friday, December 25, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #171 - A FAMILY CHRISTMAS 2013


Saturday, December 26, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #172 - Christmases 2009-2015

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #536 - Tower Christmas at L&N Beard's 2016

And now the great music!












- Days ago = 905 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1712.25 - 10:10
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #895 - Tower Family Christmas - Michigan Visit Day Five


Tower Family Christmas - 2017 - 1712.17

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #895 - Tower Family Christmas - Michigan Visit Day Five

Hi Mom,

So, it's 2017 and that makes three Christmases without you (2015, 2016, 2017). But Lori is really keeping your tradition alive. I miss my sister. She is doing so great, Mom; I know you are proud.

Dad and I visited Lori and Noel's house today, Sunday December 17th, 2017, for the traditional cookie plate, presents, and a great meal. Lori served a beef stew, though she has a better name for it; a cornbread focaccia with feta cheese and sun dried tomatoes; and a salad. There was pumpkin pie after but I skipped that part and loaded up on cookies instead, which included your scotchie bars. Lori gave me leftovers, which I ate up right before I left for the airport two days later.

This dinner is why I came back to Michigan.

It rejuvenated my spirit.

I love my family; I love you, too, Mom.

I could go on. I mean, I am not that special. It's not very unique to love one's family. Most people do. But this is my truth.

And so it is.

Thank you Lori. Without you this dinner does not happen this way. Thank you Noel, as he provided transportation and conversation from Chicago to Richland and from Richland to Chicago. And thank you, Dad, without whom I do not have life, and for feeding me for the duration of my stay.

See?

The Big Guy is smiling in this photo below but not at the one up top.




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 897 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1712.17 - 10:10
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thursday, December 7, 2017
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #885 - Throwback Thursday 1712.07


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #885 - Throwback Thursday 1712.07

Hi Mom,

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!

Decorations are going up in the new home on Blacktail Lane, and I am sure I will share a picture at some point, but we're not done yet. So instead here is a picture of me in my COOL Tiger pajamas circa 1968? That's a total guess. I am going by the wall behind me, which means it has to be before 1969. I am thinking that the wall may be Traverse City, so this could be either 1966 or 1967 conceivably. We were in Schoolcraft in 1968, so that's another possibility. Honestly, I do not remember the walls in Schoolcraft.

Though I miss you more around the holidays, Mom, I am feeling a lot more grounded and less raw than I have been the last two years. But I have also made many major life changes, such as moving out west, so let's see how I feel when I return to Michigan for a visit, which I am doing next week.

And that's all for content... I am trying to get these posted in a somewhat timely fashion, so I am going to work on being briefer. Also, I am feeling a little "unwell."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 887 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1712.07 - 10:10
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #533 - The Christmas show at Cornwell's Turkeyville, 2016
me, Dennis McKeen, Dad (Bob Tower)

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #533 - The Christmas show at Cornwell's Turkeyville, 2016

Hi Mom, Happy Winter Solstice and shortest day of the year.

So, this... for the Solstice.



and this... because I am supporting my friend Walt Curley because he's sick of all the geek shaming online. I have a post about that subject, but I am not done with it.


We went to the Christmas show at Turkeyville again this year, Mom. I meant to get this posted after we went, which was November 26th, but I have been so busy with work and finals and work that is giving finals and all that.

It was a cute show called "Christmas with the In-Laws."

But in a sad change of tradition, it's the first Christmas show at Turkeyville since 1993 that I did not review. In fact, the Battle Creek Enquirer is not reviewing it, which is solely based on the online versions click rates, which I think is a mistake. Most of the people who attend or might attend are not clicking.

A very clever version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with updates and modernizations closed the show. I liked it, but sadly, it's over now, so I didn't even get these comments up before it closed for the season.

So, for yours and everyone's reading pleasure, here's last year's post. They dedicated the sing-a-long to you, again, Mom, and called you a "young lady," which would have made you laugh.

I don't think they always do the sing-a-long let alone a dedication to you, Mom, but it was a nice acknowledgment to us.

I am sorry that the Enquirer is not sending me to review anymore, Top Hat Productions and Cornwell's Dinner Theatre, but we'll keeping coming to the Christmas show, at least.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++




Christmas show - 2011

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #130 - Turkeyville Christmas Show

Hi Mom, You were with us today. Dad and I went to the annual Christmas show at Cornwell's Turkeyville Dinner Theatre, produced by Top Hat Productions.

You love these Christmas shows.

I may post my review later, after it appears in the newspaper, but here's a few thoughts.

Above is a picture of Dad and me with producer Dennis McKeen.

As you can see, he is wearing a very festive suit.

I moved the picture all the way to the top.







Christmas show 2013

So, Dennis decided to do a tribute for you. His wife Holly, who played Charlie the Christmas Elf, in the show of the same name, announced the sing-along, dedicated to you. She called you a "young lady," which I thought was very sweet. But she accurately recounted your complaint about them dropping the sing-along from the show, and how Dennis put it back in just for you.

It was a very sweet dedication. Both Dennis and Holly have lost their mothers in recent years, and both were sympathetic to our feelings, especially as Dad and I attended the first Christmas show without you.

But even before the tribute, I was already pretty wrecked as the cast closed the show by singing Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah."

I love that song.

But it really made me weep, this time especially.

Also, I did some shopping in BOTH gift shoppes in your honor, Mom. I didn't buy anything, but Dad did. He bought a gift for Lori.

I wish you had been there physically, Mom, though I felt you embracing me, all around me, around us, in spirit.

It's early, but Merry Christmas.

Here's a video of "Hallelujah." I chose a version with four part harmony to try to recreate what they did at Turkeyville.




Turkeyville gift shoppe


Turkeyville candy counter


Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 132 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1511.13 - 10:10 (22:10)

for the sign and the cinnamon rolls
mom, you loved cinnamon rolls


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 535 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1612.21 - 10:10
Reflect and connect.
Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.
I miss you so very much, Mom.
Talk to you soon, Mom.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 2366 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2112.24 - 10:10
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2212.24 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2731 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: