Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #240 - Happy World Book Day!

Books I am reading as of 1603.03
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #240 - Happy World Book Day!

Hi Mom,

Happy World Book Day!

I owe my love of books to you and Dad. To you because you bought me a book or a comic book every time we went to the grocery store. To Dad because he did most of the reading to me at bed time, though sometimes you filled in if he had to work.

Above, see the books I am currently reading. This is a bit of a cheat, though. Many of these books I have finished reading and they are still in my Good Reads list because I have not yet reviewed them. Right now, I am reading Between the World and Me in what I call read-reading, as in not audio. Bleak House is my current audio book, and I am almost to page 200. It's so rich and textured that I will surely have to read it again, some day, but I am enjoying it immensely so far. Dickens was hilarious and yet also had keen insight and new how to evoke pathos.


There are several other books in partial states of completion but I did not want to overload my Good Reads Currently Reading area.

I did not know what I was going to write about today, but I spotted on Twitter that it was World Book Day, and so, this seemed a natural choice.

Liesel took this photo of me in one of my favorite book shops, Dawn Treader, in Ann Arbor. She called it a picture of me in my natural habitat. She's right, of course. I love books. Though lately, owning too many feels like a bit of an albatross. And digital books are so much easier and more portable, though not as satisfying. I still keep my place in a physical book when I am listening on audio. The physical book is still easier to flip through, re-read, browse, and handle. I love the feel and smell and taste of physical books and paper. But I am going to have to sell (give away) many of my books and comic books to free myself of too many unneeded possessions.

But I love books, and that's primarily because of you, Mom.

My life has greater meaning because I can read and I do read. I MUST read and I must read every day. My life would not be complete without it. Reading relaxes me, but it also feeds my mind, my soul, my spirit (which may be the same as my soul), my heart.

I love reading and I love sharing what I read with others. Since I am teaching a class in reading at WMU, I have taken to recommending a book a day to the students. Why not? It is a course on reading, after all. I want to inspire them to be readers, to be life long learners, to be intellectuals.

Thank you authors of the world. Without you, my life would have been much less rich and quite monotone and bleak.

And now some recommendations!

Though I have shared my recent reads before, here they are again because it's fitting today and I like repetition.




These book shops are awesome and inspire me to want to go to Portugal, which is one of the places on the top of the list for me and Liesel's next big trip.

COOL BOOK SHOPS AROUND THE WORLD

6. Livraria Lello e Irmao – PortoPortugal
The building itself is a work of art and is packed full of history. It was founded in 1869 and has been named one of the most beautiful book shops in the world, but is perhaps more famous for being the location of several scenes in the Harry Potter films. What is most impressive about this building is the beautiful wooden staircase and the stained-glass windows in the ceiling that reflect around the room.


Isn't that beautiful? And that's a book store.

I love book stores as much as I love books.

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 242 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1603.03 - 9:18 my time (6:18 Blogger time)


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.


my books

I have collected all of my books from Good Reads here, if only because I like looking at it. I do not believe that this is a complete list as I have not entered all the books in Good Reads that I have read, but there almost 500 books, so it's a decent list.

I share one grid of images here and the rest are after a jump, so the blog page is not choked full of books. I put this all at the end after the sign off because there are so many (20 images in all).


MORE BOOKS AFTER THE JUMP - CLICK FOR MORE





















No comments: