Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #259 - My First Three Instructional Videos


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #259 - My First Three Instructional Videos

Hi Mom,

Guess what? I made three instructional videos! I have been meaning to make instructional videos for a couple of years, but I never got around to it. Part of the problem was that I thought I would need a camera and a tripod and microphones and all that. But then, I tried just setting up my laptop in my class room at WMU, and voila! I have good sound pick up with the laptop's microphone. And the videos are not bad.

In watching them, I did forget some content that I wanted to share, but nothing so critical that I would re-record them. However, watching and listening to myself, and knowing what I know with my training in theater and speech, I could do MUCH better. I search for words too often, I "um" and "uh" WAY TOO MUCH, and I even have little physical things that could be avoided during video recording like scratching itches or touching my nose. Granted, I am just getting over being ill, so the fact that my nose was only running a little, and I did not have to stop the recording and start over due to major nasal congestion unstopperage was pretty impressive.

In posting my videos to You Tube, I was surprised that some other videos in my channel had lots of views. Though no one has commented, my recording of myself performing the Spider-Man poem has been viewed almost 1000 times (965 views as of this morning) and my video of a baby bird that I recorded two years ago has 167 views.

I wonder who all those people are who made those views?

So here's my three videos. I know you will love to watch them, Mom. I wonder how many students I will have watch them. So far, I think my views are the only views.

In the first video, I describe the five principles of quality business and technical writing. In the second, I deliver the basics of writing an expanded definition, their next assignment. And in the third video, I describe the GRIN technologies that my students will write about in their expanded definition assignment from a book my WMU students are also reading.

That's it for today. Enjoy the videos, Mom ... and others... if you watch even a little, and you're not my student, wow, I am impressed with you... :-)







Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 261 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1603.22 - 7:58


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: