Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #54 - new class schedule



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #54 - new class schedule

Hi Mom, The saga continues with school.

The point of the story will be that I am retaking one course this Fall term and, essentially, re-taking another.

Here's what happened: I had a phone call yesterday from my advisor, Katie Young, who had to explain to me the consequences of failing Calculus. I told her about my hardship withdrawal, but it doesn't matter since I will not have a passing grade in Calculus in time.

I was registered for 1310-Discrete Mathematics and 1120-Java II for Fall 2015. I cannot take 1310 without a passing grade in Calculus prior as it's a pre-requisite, and I cannot take 1120 without Calculus prior or concurrently.

Now, my experience with Calculus this summer showed me that I might not have passed it even without my hardship (your death, Mom), but thankfully, I had the hardship to qualify for the withdrawal. But my thinking prior to Katie's call yesterday was that I needed to really devote myself to a stronger foundation in PreCalculus and plenty of practice before I attempt Calculus again, which, given my course load and work schedule,  I didn't think I would be able to handle until next summer, taking Calculus next Fall as I already learned that summer term Calculus is just TOO FAST.

But given what I learned, it made sense to Calculus this Fall so I could then move on to 1310 and 1120. However, to make this situation more difficult, all sections of Calculus were full. So I would have to call the Math department and beg my way into one of the sections, and then try to pass a course I just failed with little or no time to properly prepare, practice, and study. The alternative was taking no courses this Fall or just one, Calculus, but that would affect my financial aid status.

And then I had a brainstorm. What if I re-take PreCalculus? And then what if I take 1110, which is Java I, because I had the equivalent 1110, Java I, as C# at KVCC. This would mean I would have two courses that are review. I should be able to improve my grade from last Fall's PreCalculus with a second go-around. The schedule is better as both courses meet twice a week rather than four times a week like 1310. Though I pick up a Friday morning Java lab since none of the other times fit my schedule, I get an easier schedule, better foundation in the stuff I need to know, and a chance to improve my grade point. AND with two courses, I preserve my financial aid award status. Win win? Yes!

Also, I managed to convince the book store to let me return the formerly shrink-wrapped text that cost close to $300. Since I already have last year's PreCalculus text, I am in good shape and cut down my book costs by about $200. Hoping that I do not have to buy the new PreCalculus text, but I have the same professor as last year, and I seem to remember that the book did not drastically change year to year.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 55 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1508.28 - 20:25 and 1508.29 14:17

No comments: