Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, November 10, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1727 - MIDDLESEX Writing Prompt #1 for 1911.13



A Sense of Doubt blog post #1727 - MIDDLESEX Writing Prompt #1 for 1911.13 at CONCORDIA and in the future at LCC

Yet another post for my students.

Are you who are not students even paying attention?

Are the students actually clicking the link?

I am moving the class into a new phase in which we consider the intersection between gender and identity as well as considering ways to analyze texts.

Here's a talk I gave on this book

May 23: When It's Time to Individuate: Gender, Middlesex, and the Jungian Process of Individuation

Chris Tower, Adjunct Faculty

and more content


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1168 (SoD #1554) - Presenting today at Community Conversation - THAT ONE THING



Here's step one in that process.



As my students will attest, I have often said that I will never ASSIGN my blog as required reading. But that promise has always been predicated on the idea that I would assign something I had already written just to be self-serving and narcissistic, rather than the idea that I wrote something and posted it to my blog rather than making it a page in the online class room or just delivering the material in lecture. Hence this very post and the following links, which to start this week's writing prompt, I am asking them to read.

Read the following blog posts (some material in post one may overlap with post two):

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1550 - On Gender - Tolerance-Acceptance - and individuating - Choose your labels

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #92 - Gender Performance

Consider how gender and identity are interrelated. Write a paragraph exploring this intersection based on your own opinions along with reactions to what you read in the links.

Next, choose a character from Middlesex who has a major role in the first 200 pages (books one and two): Lefty, Desdemona, Dr. Philobosian, Sourmelina (Lina), Jimmy Zizmo, Milton, Tessie. (You are NOT ALLOWED to choose Cal yet; you don't know enough.) Choose one aspect of one character and how she/he identifies, an element of character expressed in Eugenides' narrative that represents a feature of the person's identity. Focus on a passage of text that best exhibits this identifying characteristic. Cite page[s]. Quoting is optional but encouraged.

Close the writing exercise with your reaction to the character and his/her identity. Do you relate? Do you have a similar characteristic of identity with which you can draw a parallel? Or do you have a contrasting identity characteristic with which you can elaborate your reaction?

Additional closing remarks of any kind in relation to the novel's first two major divisions -- books one and two -- could earn bonus credit.

MIDDLESEX CHARACTERS



Watch me?













+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1911.10 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1590 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: