Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, October 10, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2792 - "You're in a Bad Way" - Musical Monday for 2210.10


A Sense of Doubt blog post #2792 - "You're in a Bad Way" - Musical Monday for 2210.10


I am ill.

Took two sick days.

I had 250+ hours.

I never take paid time off and am rarely ill.

I worked myself into this state, so this song.

"You're in a Bad Way" from Saint Etienne's second album So Tough.

"You're in a Bad Way" is a song by British pop group Saint Etienne. It was released as the second single from their second album, So Tough (1993). The song is a deliberately old-fashioned throwback to 1960s pop music. In an interview with Melody Maker magazine, Bob Stanley claims that it was written in ten minutes as a simple imitation of Herman's Hermits, and was only intended to be a B-side to "Everlasting", but the record company decided that it should be a single.[2] "Everlasting" was dropped as a single and remained unreleased until it was eventually included on disc 2 on the deluxe edition of So Tough in 2009.

The album version of the song begins with a sample from the film Billy Liar (1963):[2] "A man could lose himself in London. Lose himself. Lose himself. Lose himself in London!" The lyrics describe a man who is depressed and has ceased to care for himself - the singer tells him "jeans are old and your hair's all wrong / Don't you know that crewcuts and trainers are out again?" The singer invites him to "Just dial my number or call my name". It also makes reference to "watching Bruce on the old Generation Game", which led to the song being self-mockingly described as "the one about Bruce Forsyth" in the sleevenotes to the compilation Too Young to Die – Singles 1990–1995.

On the CD single (but not the other formats), pieces of dialogue follow each track to segue into the next. Between "You're In a Bad Way" and "Archway People", there is a sample of dialogue from the film Brighton Rock (1947) spoken by Richard Attenborough.[3] The third b-side, "Duke Duvet" is based on a drum break from "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode, and concludes with a comic monologue called "Spong-Bake" written by Christopher Morris.[4]

In 2019 the writer and theatre maker John Osborne used the song as the starting point for his theatre show You're in a Bad Way. It's a storytelling show about dementia, music and festivals.





I didn't even know it was WORLD MENTAL HEALTH DAY...

Seems fitting.










mymusicfootage

Taken from TOTP (BBC1) on Thursday 11th February 1993


Lyrics
Toast is burntAnd your coffee's coldAnd you leave all the post'Cause it's nothing but bills again
Home from workPut the TV onGet your kicks watchingBruce on the old Generation Game
Just dial my numberI've got some plans for youYou're in a bad wayAnd I can help you through
You're in a bad wayEvery day seems just the same (every day)Just dial my numberOr call my name
Jeans are oldAnd your hair's all wrongDon't you know that crew cuts andTrainers are out again?
Going outYou're feeling lowRunning for coverIt looks like it's going to rain(What a shame)
Just dial my numberI've got some plans for youYou're in a bad wayAnd I can help you through
You're in a bad wayEvery day seems just the same (every day)Just dial my numberOr call my name
Just dial my numberI've got some plans for youYou're in a bad wayAnd I can help you through
You're in a bad wayEvery day seems just the same (every day)Just dial my numberOr call my name
Just dial my numberYou're in a bad way(You're in a bad way)You're in a bad way(You're in a bad way)You're in a bad way(You're in a bad way)You're in a bad way
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Peter Stewart Wiggs / Bob Stanley / Jane Cracknell Sarah
You’re in a Bad Way lyrics © Universal/momentum Music Ltd., Warner/chappell Music Ltd


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2210.10 - 10:10 (look at all those 10s!!)

- Days ago = 2656 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.


No comments: