Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #422 - Talking again #7 - Throwback Thursday

Mom in ad for Merle Norman - August 1994
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #422 -  Talking again #7 - Throwback Thursday

Hi Mom, It's me again. Welcome to the first day of September.

As usual, a variety of things today. Conversational stuff, but a bit more multimedia-focused than our phone conversations would have been.

It's weird. I had been reading Stephen King's Bill Hodges trilogy, which is like riding a narrative rocket. Consuming these as I was via audio made for an even more intense and narcotic experience. Once finished with the third and final book in the set -- and expect blog posts on this subject -- then I switched to an audio book of Between the World and Me because I am teaching it. What a hug transition!! Ta-Nehisi Coates' book is very good. This is my second time through it, and I liked it enough to select it for my class, but switching my mindset from the high-octane, super-fuel of the King's Hodges books was like being drenched with ice water when you're already cold.

For instance, months ago I took pictures of your cat wall and I have never shared them on this blog (as far as I can remember).

As for the picture at the top, you were asked to be in a newspaper advertisement for the Merle Norman shop. The ad appeared in the Kalamazoo Gazette in August of 1994. You were so very proud of this ad and of being asked to be in it. You were also a loyal and proud Merle Norman user.

It is now Sunday, and obviously I did not get very far with writing in this post. I have been grading like a fiend. The double Park classes kill me plus I was doing math and some WMU prep. As always, I am doing CTU stuff.

So not very exciting stuff today, but then our phone calls were not always the stuff of legend.

Maybe this is a reminder to get to the local Merle Norman for Super Lube, which you introduced me to, Mom. I love that stuff.

Dad has kept your cat wall unsullied or changed. And the last picture is your shirt in my closet where I see it and give it a kiss every day.

I am okay. I am grieving and suspect that I always will be, but the grief is not preventing me from living life. The days are full, jam packed, and wonderful. I just wish they were filled with a little less work and a bit more play. I am happy to report that I did stop working on what was for me yesterday (Saturday night) and what is the future to this blog entry and read the book I am reading (not audio) John Irving's Avenue of Mysteries on the deck in the waning sun while the Tigers game played softly on the radio.

Life is good. Life IS good.




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 424 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1609.01 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: